Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Key West?

mfiorellino

Depends when you're coming; but I think there's Fantasy Fest (apparently insanity similar to Mardi Gras) on Halloween weekend. Otherwise it's usually a good time - laid back and NOTHING like SoBe; no clubs really, just bars and restaurants. Take a ghost tour - I did that last time and it was a trip... cwm26.gif

------------------

"House music... it can change your soul."

"The second most popular game that we played as children... is house."

I've been wondering for quite some time now why Key West doesn't have more of a "club scene." To me, it seems like it has all the potential to become the American Ibiza, and I don't think it's a stretch to say this. The weather is simply amazing from Nov-May, slightly better than Miami and South Beach in my opinion, being so far out there off the coast. Of course, there are the world famous sunsets seen from Mallory Dock; KW is already a well-known vacation spot around the world, I would almost think it'd promote itself. It hasn't happened, though. Maybe the type of visitors they get just won't support a club scene, which is entirely possible, if all everyone wants to do in Key West is swig beer and listen to BAD music in Sloppy Joes and The Bull. There was a *decent* little hole-in-the-wall club called Wax on one of the side streets off Duval....that unfortunately closed. It wasn't Twilo, but they DID play lots of house (sometimes cheesy gay house) to decent GU style prog house later on. It was mostly gay, augmented by German tourists lured off Duval by the beats.....hehe - but, it is no more.

Hey - that's not a bad idea at all; that is, to turn KW into the "American Ibiza". But there's only one problem: Miami IS the American Ibiza. When I was over there people were very impressed that I was from Miami, and always asked how the scene was (if they hadn't been). It'd be hard, in my opinion, to make anything happen in KW when the Miami scene is so booming. There are too many similarities already b/w Miami and Ibiza... but I would love there to be a scene in KW!

------------------

Makes sense arrakis. I agree. Key West is more for families who want to get away from the big city life. It's very relaxing and beautiful. I think having that big city atmosphere would ruin it's personable surroundings. cwm38.gif

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. It's ironic that someone mentioned that it would be nice if Key West was as developed as Ibiza because I was there last August. Believe it or not plenty of families and older people do vacation there. They obviously don't hit the clubs but they go to the more secluded parts of the island where they can relax. I guess that's what was so nice about Ibiza...something for everybody, no matter what you're in to.

Have you guys been to Key West lately? LOL - it is *already* developed to the max. I usually go at least once a year, and that place has really changed over the years. I think it gets less peaceful & calm every year. And clubs have already existed in Key West.....it's just that they don't seem to have any staying power, which is unfortunate, I think. I bet it's because there is such a small window.....you have Fantasy Fest, spring break starting in March and running until about April.....and that's it. The rest of the year, it seems to be older tourists from the North and a handful of European tourists.....and Key West just doesn't seem to have such a big population of people in their 20s, which I think is a necessity for supporting a club "scene." It's too bad, I really like going out dancing there......much less pretentious than Miami, and that is refreshing.

Yeah; it is refreshing... when I go there though it's not to go clubbing, but to chill in the island-style. cwm11.gif

------------------

Foxy> About Ibiza, ARE YOU KIDDING? Please tell me you are... if not, your eyes are about to be opened! cwm12.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by arrakis (edited 10-19-2000).]

So, basically, from the information I've gathered it's an island off the coast of Spain dedicated to nightlife? What could be better? cwm32.gif

I didn't know it was so well known. cwm6.gif Sorry to say that I'm not kidding. This is the first time I've heard about it. Please... Enlighten me. cwm11.gif

I will definatly check that CD out Patrickl. Thanks for the info; I appreciate every bit of new information someone tells me!

Great website Sobeton! I haven't fully explored it yet, but I have the general overview of what and where Ibiza is. Thank you! cwm12.gif

Foxy> When we meet in person I'll tell you about my trip to Ibiza this past summer; it's an amazing place...

Sobe> If you've never been make sure you talk to me before you go; I'll try to help you out...

------------------

Foxy> For a better pictorial, check out one of the free "DJ Ibiza" magazines that come w/ DJ Mag every month... I remember those being littered all over the island!

------------------

Archived