Clubplanet Nightlife Community

who here is involved in media or has a career in it???

I NEED to know who is providing cnn and all related news chanels with their live streaming feeds... and if its software who is the company providing them with the software and or service... thanks in advance for any and all your help in this urgent matter...

:newyorklove:

What do you mean by streaming??? Like the video of the cams in Bahgdad or the Videofone reports they are filing???

I work for one for one of the networks and can give ya some info on how everyones doing it.

hit me up on AIM later - Bernie1586 if you dont already have the info u need

Its all microwave satelite! You can broadcast from anywhere in the world and it connects up to the satelite and the master control in NY or Atlanta feeds it in.

Just think direct TV in reverse!

Or it could be,

Videophone, when you see that delayed blurry shit, that works the same way a cell phone does.

mattm2o got close with it

here is how they are doing it.

When they were all there in the days before the war, and you were seeing high quality video coming back, they were shooting with their own cameras and then the tapes would be reviewed (to prevent 'propoganda' from being spread) and sent out via a KU band satelite uplink located at the Ministry of Information building in Iraq to a neighiboring country, and then uplinked again (one satelite does not cover both the US and the Middle east, so you need a hop in between) and sent to their downlink center in NY. this was PRE WAR

After the war broke out and we bombed the shit outta the ministry of information, the stations began to use 'videophones' to file reports. They work like this. They shoot with their normal camera, take the NTSC output of the camera and feed it into a hardware bases variable bitrate encoder (there are many differnt companies that make these units off the shelf), which turns the video into a datastream. Now the following depends on which network you are watching- a few of the nets that are getting the better video quality out of these phones then take a number of Inmarsat (inmarsat is a netowrk of 4 or 5 geostationary satelites that cover most of the world, and allow subscribers to make regular telephone calls or 64K isdn channel calls from special satelite phones - the data calls are about $8/minute of usage)based satelite phones (biggers hardware maker of the sat phones is Nera- http://www.nera.no/index.html) which each can carry 64k/sec of data and run them into a device like an AdTran ISU512, which bonds up to 4 of these channels together giving them 256k/sec of bandwith to work with. They then set the encoder for 256k/sec and transmit the video phone signal. Back in NY, they have ISDN lines which recieve the calls from these sat phones and and appriate matching decoding equiptment on that end. Other networks just use the one sat phone and the 64k/sec data channel and pass lower quality video over it.

There is NO software that is running this stuff, its all harware based (for obvious reasons...that enviroment dosnt mix well with laptops and the like.

As for some of the crews that are traveling with the Army, they carry around fold up satelite transmitters with them and when they are in one spot long enough, set these up to feed high quality video back.

anything else, just lemme kno

By streaming feeds do you mean live to the web or live on TV. If its TV each individual network

has its own crew including satellite flay-aways. Which is basically a mobile dish sending back

their own footage. As for NBC they have spent about a million dollars on a special set-up where they

are able to send footage while they are moving. Most of the other networks are using video

phones.....If you look at cnn or fox news channel then watch MSNBC with David Boom with the third

infantry you can tell the difference in the quality of the video. I hope this is helpful to you...If you have

any other questions feel free to ask......

NBC ah yes they are the ones that are using the multiple sat phones and high bandwith video encoder. The only difference between the phones they are using and the phones everyone else are using is that their sat phone antennas are auto tracking (meaning the dish activly moves to keep a lock on the sat signal while moving- same gear that they use on commercial ships to get phone connectivity....the reason its so expensive is that the auto tracking system costs roughly 22,000 for a single unit (they are using 4 of them to get the necessary bandwith)- a regular satelite phone with isdn port is only about 10,000.

Originally posted by irenegade7

By streaming feeds do you mean live to the web or live on TV. If its TV each individual network

has its own crew including satellite flay-aways. Which is basically a mobile dish sending back

their own footage.

depends on the crew- some of the crew traveling with the military are carrying fly packs, but any of the guys who traveled into iraq before the war broke out were not allowed by the government to bring their own sat transmitters into the country because they wanted to be able to control what got fed out of the country using the dishes that the Iraqi gvmt owned. Thats when the nets started to bring in video phone components piece by piece...

ill take a look at GE when i get into the office tomorrow morning...

(one ive been trading is WEL, (its not for the weakhearted) very volatile theyre a company that puts out oil fires obviously the rest is self-explanatory...)

http://www.donegal-holdings.com/prod01.htm

Donegal Group, Inc. - Class A (DGICA)

11.00 ê 0.0300 (-0.27%)

as of 03/24/2003 at 15:38 EST (Nasdaq Delay: 15 minutes)

http://www.nera.no/index.html

Share Price NERAY - Nera

Last updated Last +/- +/- % Bid Ask High Low Volume

25.03.2003 07:06 6.39 0.00 0.00 6.20 6.40 - -

both of these are ADR's and both look like ish... hrrrm... theres money to be made here i just dont know where to look...

im not sure if youre looking for a swing trade here or a position, however i took a look at GE (GE 26.59 -0.14 -0.52% 4000 09:06 Bid/Ask(26.71-26.72) Day Lo-Hi(26.50-0.00)) theres soft support at 26.50, and again at 26... personally i wouldnt touch it unless it bounces off of either of those numbers, tight stops included... there hasnt been any outstanding volume on it outside of july, oct, and november... however i do not know you from adam, and i have no idea your risk tolerance and or financial background so i am not advising you to do anything, simply providing you with info... good luck and godspeed...

Originally posted by dgmodel

im not sure if youre looking for a swing trade here or a position, however i took a look at GE (GE 26.59 -0.14 -0.52% 4000 09:06 Bid/Ask(26.71-26.72) Day Lo-Hi(26.50-0.00)) theres soft support at 26.50, and again at 26... personally i wouldnt touch it unless it bounces off of either of those numbers, tight stops included... there hasnt been any outstanding volume on it outside of july, oct, and november... however i do not know you from adam, and i have no idea your risk tolerance and or financial background so i am not advising you to do anything, simply providing you with info... good luck and godspeed...

Good long term investment. I have a feeling after this little fist-ta-kuff with

saddam is over it will rise significantly...

thats a totally different story... you may be right... how longterm do you wish to go??? the stock is yielding 2.8% if you're to tie up money in this for some time you might be able to find something a lil more secure with a higher return... however if you know something i do not, or have been following this company do not allow me sway you or etc... GE has been a staple in many ppls portfolios for many years, however ever since Welch left I am not sure where the co. is headed and have not been following it to detail...