Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any Opinions on the Oscars?

Who should/shouldn't have won?

Surprising outcomes?

Etc.?

I was shocked that Nicole Kidman won for The Hours - IMO, the worst movie I have ever seen and her part wasn't even that big. Maybe I have to know more about Virginia Wolfe to understand the movie, but I found it to be very depressing and lacking in plot. I was also a little annoyed that Chicago won best makeup (even though they did do a good job making them all look very classy and glamorous) b/c I think Lord of the Rings deserved it for all their characters (the orcs, elves, etc.) Chicago was a good movie and I enjoyed it, but I don't understand all the hype surrounding it. It wasn't that spectacular and there are a lot of other better movies that were nominated that should've gotten more appreciation.

Originally posted by phatman

...i didnt see enough movies this year BUT i did see Gangs of New York and was quite surprised to learn it was snubbed with 10...count em 10 nominations...

I would have rather seen GONY win, chicago was all hype.

Renee Whatever the fuck her name is, sucks at acting, i never wanna see that movie, and i liked Moulon Rouge! Heinous

I think Gangs was too violent for the masses, but i thought it was the best movie id probably seen all year... Two Towers got beat too, prolly cus it was a sequel, but at least they got EFFECTS woohoo

And yes this year must have just sucked because I havent seen most of the movies either, and i used to go to the movies a lot, damn hollywood is falling off. Although i want to see the Pianist

I liked the anti war documentary dude, way to have some balls and show them rich hollywood types the real deal!

I loved the Chicago musical, but the film was ok, catherine zeta jones & nicole kidmen didn't deserve their oscars in my opinion, i bet michael douglas pulled some strings.

i always loved adrian brody (he is so fucking hot), and was thrilled when he won the oscar, and he was brave to say what he did. As much as i loved "gangs of ny" and am a huge scorsese fan, polanski deserved the oscar more than scorsese.

the pianist & gangs of new york both made statements about politics today and the ignorance of people and their bigotry, which is why either should have won for best picture, not crap chicago.

i didnt see much... but ill comment on the way some stars were dressed....

jLo looked radiant... and jennifer garners dress was INCREDIBLE although i cant stannnd her...

other than that... catherine zeta-jones did a good job while pregnant :) annnndddd.... thats about all i saw

:D

I thought Steve Martin was actually funny for once (with some of his material)... Although he was rather perverted w/the comments at Halle Berry and J Lo :puke:

I'm happy Eminem won for best original song :aright: even though he didn't show up....

Oh and I hate how the Academy only takes dramatic movies into consideration for awards... That's not fair to the comedic writers/directors/actors

I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones was excellent in Chicago and deserved it. Problem for me with Chicago was that it really was more of a play on film than a movie. It was extremely well done, but it's nothing too special if you've already seen the play. It's kinda like when an adaptation of a novel gets tons of accolades, but you still like the book better....

Also, I'm super happy that Talk To Her won for screenplay....always a feat when that screenplay isn't even in our language...

Most of my other gripes are with the nominations rather than the awards. None of my movies in my top 5 were even nominated for best picture. Go figure...

Originally posted by joeg

steve martin is never funny... its amazing he made a career out of awful B movies and outdated sub-par comedy... guess it shows anyone can 'make it' in the business if they have enough friends...

"outdated"?? what are u a comedian? Steve Martin was one of best comedic actors of the 80s and early 90s. He has always been funny. He has always been on top of the comedy game.

Peace

jonathan

Originally posted by jonathanny

Steve Martin was one of best comedic actors of the 80s and early 90s

and he hasn't changed his act since...

and don't even make an attempt to defend any of his awful, hopefully forgotten films... it'll just be embarrasing for him if we start digging up all his old uhhh "work" (if you'll call it that)

three muskateers anyone??? yeah... exactly....

After Titanic won the Best Picture award in 1997 I have come to the realization that the awards DON'T MEAN SHIT!!

It doesn't matter who wins or loses because the Academy is a joke. Fuck them all. A few motion pictures are great, most of them are garbage.

Hitchcock never won an oscar and neither will Scorcese because genius doesn't always get accolades.

And what the fuck is up with giving a child rapist the Best Director award?

Originally posted by joeg

and he hasn't changed his act since...

and don't even make an attempt to defend any of his awful, hopefully forgotten films... it'll just be embarrasing for him if we start digging up all his old uhhh "work" (if you'll call it that)

three muskateers anyone??? yeah... exactly....

Hey now, "the jerk" was pretty funny, but that was like 20 years ago...he's corny but he's still got a little bit of funiness left in him