Clubplanet Nightlife Community

attn:elitesnautica

Crackorn

Two questions for you- I just bought some glutamine. Should I take it before or after I work out and how effective is it? Also- I just got some ripped fuel. Is it counter-productive to take just one before I go to the gym while I'm taking creatine post-workout? (I know that's actually three questions)

I take my glutamine along with creatine post workout - (within 10 minutes).

As far as effectiveness - it is really hard to tell but I have seen enough infomation on it - that it should be beneficial. It is one of only a few supplements I take.

Ripped fuel? Are you trying to loose weight or are you using it to increase workout intensity? As far as being counter productive - It depends on your goals - If you are trying to bulk then yes, if not then they are great to boost workouts.

Nautica

Originally posted by Crackorn

Thank you! I just need a little boost for my workout. I took my glutamine post work out today. I made the mistake of opening the capsule in my protein drink and it made the drink taste awful. Oh well.

Should have gotten the powder - completely tastless - Optimum Nutriontion makes some - that you will not even know it is in your drink.

Nautica

Amino acids with anabolic properties.

De Bandt JP, Cynober LA.

Laboratoire de Biochimie A, Hopital Necker-Enfants Malades, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris V, France.

Experimental studies have clearly demonstrated both the indispensability in stress situations of amino acids, previously considered to be non-essential, and the importance of the specific properties of these same amino acids. Glutamine, arginine and their precursors/metabolites, ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate, exert anabolic or anticatabolic effects through their involvement in protein metabolism, in the immune response and in cell proliferation. Clinical studies suggest that the supplementation of nutritional therapy with these amino acids can be of significant benefit for injured patients.

One side note - most of the studies I have seen were rather vague and did not specify the type of administration. Some athletes claim no benefit from its use, but then again it is hard to tell what does and what does not work when you are on a number of supplements and/or drugs.

I feel that for the cost of it, that the possible benefits are worth the money. (It has also been shown to improve the immune system in endurance athletes.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

Amino acids with anabolic properties.

De Bandt JP, Cynober LA.

Laboratoire de Biochimie A, Hopital Necker-Enfants Malades, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris V, France.

Experimental studies have clearly demonstrated both the indispensability in stress situations of amino acids, previously considered to be non-essential, and the importance of the specific properties of these same amino acids. Glutamine, arginine and their precursors/metabolites, ornithine and alpha-ketoglutarate, exert anabolic or anticatabolic effects through their involvement in protein metabolism, in the immune response and in cell proliferation. Clinical studies suggest that the supplementation of nutritional therapy with these amino acids can be of significant benefit for injured patients.

One side note - most of the studies I have seen were rather vague and did not specify the type of administration. Some athletes claim no benefit from its use, but then again it is hard to tell what does and what does not work when you are on a number of supplements and/or drugs.

I feel that for the cost of it, that the possible benefits are worth the money. (It has also been shown to improve the immune system in endurance athletes.

Nautica

very cool man thanks

Originally posted by elitesnautica

I take my glutamine along with creatine post workout - (within 10 minutes).

As far as effectiveness - it is really hard to tell but I have seen enough infomation on it - that it should be beneficial. It is one of only a few supplements I take.

Ripped fuel? Are you trying to loose weight or are you using it to increase workout intensity? As far as being counter productive - It depends on your goals - If you are trying to bulk then yes, if not then they are great to boost workouts.

Nautica

Nautica, I read that taking glutamine and creatine was a no-no. That they compete with one another in regards to absorption.

I've also heard that L-glutamine (the most commonly sold type) does not get absorbed very well when taken with food, so it should be taken on an empty stomach.

I usually take 10-15 grams on an empty stomach right before bedtime.

Originally posted by ou812

Nautica, I read that taking glutamine and creatine was a no-no. That they compete with one another in regards to absorption.

I've also heard that L-glutamine (the most commonly sold type) does not get absorbed very well when taken with food, so it should be taken on an empty stomach.

I usually take 10-15 grams on an empty stomach right before bedtime.

My stomach is empty - I shoot down a drink of creatine and L - glutamine and then do my protein about 10-15 minutes later, But sometimes I will mix the 2 with my protein.

As far as which is best - empty stomach with or without creatine??? - Any studies on this are extremely vague - you will find some that say take it just prior to bedtime or first thing in the am and then there are studies that suggest it should be taken just after workout. Then studies say not to mix it with creatine but others that say do both creatine and glutamine post workout.

So I guess it depends on which studies you want to believe.

Nautica

• 3 weeks later...

elites- I have another question-

I usually hit the gym at 7 AM. Right before I go in I eat one slice of oat bread (19 gms carbs, 5 gms protein)

I wake up at 5:30 AM and I'm really hungry. Is it OK to have a protein shake before I go to the gym?

Originally posted by Crackorn

I wake up at 5:30 AM and I'm really hungry. Is it OK to have a protein shake before I go to the gym?

Yes, in fact it's preferable that you do. Having those aminos in your system will help to slow muscle catabolism. Your muscles will be catabolic already since you've been asleep all night without feeding them anything. When you 1st wake up it's good to give them a health dose of protein.

You might want to try a low carb shake so that it doesn't sit to heavy in your belly before hitting the weights.