and displaying the atrocities of war is as

American as the First Amendment.

"I feel lucky to be an American citizen for

many reasons — one of which is the right

to express myself freely, especially in my work,"

she said in a statement.

(In addition to supporting her right to create

controversial art, in her statement Madonna

insisted that she's not "anti-Bush" or "pro-Iraq.

She's "pro-peace," and just critical of the

perception many people have of what

it means to be an American. This

sentiment is echoed throughout the song,

which isn't about war, but rather

addresses materialism.

"I have written a song and created a

video which expresses my feelings about our

culture and values and the illusions of what many

people believe is the American dream —

the perfect life," she said.

She added that she concocted the

imagery of "American Life" not to offend or

incite, but to inspire.

"As an artist, I hope this provokes thought

and dialogue," she said. "I don't expect everyone

to agree with my point of view. I am grateful to

have the freedom to express these feelings,

and that's how I honor my country."

The "American Life" video was directed by

Jonas Akerlund, who also helmed Madonna's

"Ray of Light" and "Music" videos, and was

shot in Los Angeles the first week of February.

Shortly after it was filmed, Madonna's

label issued a statement. "[The video]

expresses a panoramic view of our culture

and looming war through the view of a female

superhero portrayed by Madonna.

Starting as a runway show of couture

army fatigues, the fashion show escalates

into a mad frenzy depicting the catastrophic

repercussions and horrors of war"

FULL STORY FROM MTV.COM

Hmmm...

Considering that one of her first hits was "Material Girl" and that she resides in London full time now, I really think that the opinions she expresses in this new song/video cannot be taken seriously. I understand that she's grown up and matured, but I really feel that she's lost her prime and is just latching on to the latest controversies to stay popular. I haven't been impressed with her the past few years, so I don't really have any thoughts/opinions on her latest work b/c it's all BS to me.

Originally posted by lizard23

Hmmm...

Considering that one of her first hits was "Material Girl" and that she resides in London full time now, I really think that the opinions she expresses in this new song/video cannot be taken seriously. I understand that she's grown up and matured, but I really feel that she's lost her prime and is just latching on to the latest controversies to stay popular. I haven't been impressed with her the past few years, so I don't really have any thoughts/opinions on her latest work b/c it's all BS to me.

hmmm..

she still looks hot for

her age though don't she?

attachment.php?s=&postid=1395259

Hmmm...

so what? that means she's not entitled to her opinion? this was a really stupid comment...:rolleyes:

I've seen the full video...all I can say is WOW....

The woman has def. still got it.

Now, I know I am a fan...but after hearing the song (which is growing on me but initially I hated) with the video images to go along with it, it has made me appreciate the song more musically and lyrically.

Agree with her or disagree with her, you have to love her for the sheer fact that she speaks and expresses her mind without giving a rat's ass what anyone else thinks. At least she has something to say, which is more than I can say for most of today's artists.

The video and the song seems to be more a tongue n cheek criticism of american society...and yes I suppose it is anti-war in certain parts but by no means is it pro-iraq or blatantly anti-american. After all, Madonna is as American as you can get..if it wasn't for free speech in this country she would be fucked and probably would not even have a career.

Yes, she used to be a material girl of sorts but she's obviously matured and changed throughout the yrs, just as any normal human being does. It is just harder for us to accept b/c her image has been burned into our brain repeatedly throughout the past 20 yrs., so it is hard for us to identify her with anything else. It's even hard for me, who is a fan who should be supposedly open to any change she has in store.

The video is an artistic expression made thru music and video with amazing concepts and direction. In typical Madonna style. It's her doing what she does best.

As for ppl who think her career is over...it ain't happening yet. But hey, that's just my opinion.

FUCK..

looks like you guys

aren't gonna get

too watch it after all..

MADONNA PULLS NEW

SHOCK VIDEO IN USA;

SCENES OF TRANSVESTITE

SOLDIERS,

GRENADE THROWN AT BUSH;

DEBUTS IN GERMANY

**Exclusive**

AOLTIMEWARNER recording mogul Madonna late Monday announced she will not release her shock video AMERICAN LIFE in the United States -- a short which depicted soldiers dressed as transvestites in a fashion show along with a scene of the star throwing a grenade at a President Bush look-alike!

"I do not want to risk offending anyone who might misinterpret the meaning of this video," Madonna announced.

Instead, AMERICAN LIFE aired Monday night on German Music TV. It received strong applause from those in the studio.

MORE

The DRUDGE REPORT obtained the clip, which is by far the most controversial work ever made by the artist.

Scenes of stealth bombers and missile launches are edited with flashes of the American flag, while Madonna is shown urinating on a toilet.

Later, images of mushroom clouds are mixed with innocent faces of Iraqi children.

"F**k It!" Madonna says in the video, moments before she pulls the pin on a grenade and throws it at a President Bush look alike.

The "president" picks up the lit grenade that Madonna throws -- and lights his cigar with it!

The image is "my wish to find an alternative to violence to war and destruction," the singer said over the weekend before deciding to shelve the project. "...It's me being ironic and tongue in cheek."

MORE

Madonna claims the video has been "the subject of rumors and misinformation."

"It was filmed before the war started," she explains, "and I do not believe it is appropriate to air it at this time."

Last month, the DRUDGE REPORT revealed in an exclusive how editing was in progress on "the most shocking anti-war, anti-Bush statement yet to come from the showbusiness industry."

"[AMERICAN LIFE] may still get aired this week throughout Europe," a WARNER BROS. source said late Monday.

It was not immediately clear if the 5-minute video would be offered for purchase in the United States.

As the NEW YORK TIMES questioned if the superstar "may be looking at the final stages of a long career."

Developing...

attachment.php?s=&postid=1397485

Yup...that sucks....

The video aesthetically was amazing...but there were images of war within the video, and I can see why she pulled it, tho I am dissapointed.

I am sure she'll release to video some time in the future when it is easier to absorb.

Originally posted by petp

isnt this the same person who once sang about being a 'material girl'?!??!?

the song sucks. the video sucks. she sucks.

Yeah it's kinda weird but ppl grow u know....

Are u the same person u were when you were 12? No. It's the same thing.

Originally posted by sdeelite

It's the same thing.

i dont have several hundred million dollars in the bank though. she seems awfully hypocritical to me though. typical BS that spews from a democrats mouth.

petp - you made the same point that I made earlier in the thread. I have not been able to take her seriously since she was in that movie a few years ago (The Next Best Thing maybe?) Where her best friend was a gay guy and they slept together and she got pregnant. A big 2 thumbs down! I heard she sucked in the new James Bond movie too.

petp - you made the same point that I made earlier in the thread. I have not been able to take her seriously since she was in that movie a few years ago (The Next Best Thing maybe?) Where her best friend was a gay guy and they slept together and she got pregnant. A big 2 thumbs down! I heard she sucked in the new James Bond movie too.

her movies have nothing to do with her musical work...

and obviously her movie career has been less than stellar.

I think she should release it here in the USA, it has been all over entertainment TV shows, many people know about it. I mean if you are going to make a video with a political view point then stand behind it or don't say anything at all. I think she may be scared of not making $ here in the USA. Obviously she is only worried about making $, not "changing the world in her own way" as she stated in an interview I saw. I'm sure that is how she became so successful (create controversy and money first).

Originally posted by sweetfun

I think she should release it here in the USA, it has been all over entertainment TV shows, many people know about it. I mean if you are going to make a video with a political view point then stand behind it or don't say anything at all. I think she may be scared of not making $ here in the USA. Obviously she is only worried about making $, not "changing the world in her own way" as she stated in an interview I saw. I'm sure that is how she became so successful (create controversy and money first).

I am sure there is some truth in that...she is a smart business woman, and always has been, I don't think this situation is any different.

At this point in time she can't afford to completely piss people off...