Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

Originally posted by joeygk

this part of Topher's story is a complete fabrication b/c he in fact gained weight before heading off to the UK for the summer b/c he knew he wouldn't have the time or money to eat ---- Dude you were a good 20 pounds heavier when I meet you overseas --- do I need to post pictures from Paris to prove my point! (*and when don't you look like a friggin' ghost) ;)

I also might add that I opted to skip on the Roger Sanchez in-store appearance b/c I needed to go shopping at H&M on Oxford street -------> D'OH! :doh:

Roger Sanchez does rock - but isn't he a lil' too house fo the mouse for Thomar -- killin me softly w/ house music.

ah yes, i was chubby checker's stunt double when i got there as i knew that i was going to lose weight. however, the paris trip was only at the beginning of the illness. i went downhill fast after and sanchez was a couple weeks after (you know, on july 4th- right before your european get-away and italian rendez-vous!) and yes, GK-man did leave before i got into the in-store as he didn't really like dance music then. :tongue:

as for RS, yes he typically is a bit too housey for me (see beginning of the review), but he can really rock and i'd go see him anytime!

But some say the clubs will bolster the area. "It's better to have clubs, which are a controlled grittiness, than what used to be there, which was a derelict area with prostitutes and people having sex in cars," said Danny Emerman, an owner of Glass, a lounge, and Bottino, a restaurant, both on 10th Avenue.

Almost all the owners interviewed for this article said they were trying to attract "an older, more sophisticated crowd," a code phrase that some of them acknowledged means "no 21-year-old `bridge and tunnelers' on Ecstasy."

Callin Fortis, an owner of Crobar, said the club's entertainment would influence the behavior of its crowd. "We're not going to book one trance D.J. for 14 hours in a big dark room," he said. "It's going to be like a creative playground." Crobar, which will hold 2,750 people, will feature live performances, an art gallery, acrobats on trampolines and what he described as bungee jumpers delivering cocktails. (Next door to Crobar, a branch of the "upscale" topless club Scores plans to open early next month.)

Like many of the other new clubs, Crobar is being designed to feel less like a giant disco and more like a series of lounges. It will have a V.I.P. lounge, an ultra-V.I.P. lounge and several small rooms catering to different subsets and designed by fashion companies including Heatherette (the flamboyant fashion-techno crowd), As Four (a downtown rock crowd) and Supreme (alternative hip-hop and street wear).

Richie Rich, a designer for Heatherette who was once Michael Alig's assistant at Limelight, said the new clubs would have it easier because indiscriminate drug consumption is no longer so acceptable. "Now it's become cool to get up earlier and be professional," he said, although he acknowledged that he may just be growing older.

Robert Wootton, an owner of Spirit, the 35,000-square-foot club in the former Twilo space, is betting that the neo-clubgoer enjoys tarot readings, astrology and organic foods. Testing the outer limits of a concept, Spirit will combine nightclubbing and New Age. It will be divided into zones: Body, a dance area with "uplifting" house music; Mind, a spa with aromatherapy and massage; and Soul, an organic and raw-food restaurant. It will have no V.I.P. areas. "The concept doesn't really make sense on paper," Mr. Wootton said. He said he had "no idea" if it would make money, but it was something he felt called upon to do.

The competition is heating up among club owners to enlist the city's top promoters, models and night-life regulars to draw in the many thousands of paying customers they will need to stay in business. On the weekends, Avalon pays more than 100 people, including promoters and eye candy, to pull not just a crowd, but the right crowd.

"It's like 50 dogs fighting over a bone, and the bone is the A-list," said Ronnie Madra, who promotes parties at Lotus and Avalon and is considering offers from several of the new clubs. One of his tactics is to hire what he calls "extroverted beautiful people" like Ms. Salvail, whose sole purpose is to hang out and look good, a job description at other clubs, too, like Plaid and Lotus.

"I say here's $200, all you can drink and a table to fill with a few of your good-looking friends," Mr. Madra said. "When the average person walks past and sees them there having fun, it makes the place seem a lot more `happening.' "

On a recent Saturday night at Avalon, such social engineering seemed to be paying off. The club, which has a $25 cover charge, was mobbed at the entrance, with a line down the block. Inside, the Habitrail-like hallways were jammed with Japanese and German tourists and other curiosity seekers. But a few glitches were apparent: the lounge crowd and the techno dancers were not getting along.

Up in one of the three V.I.P. skyboxes, to which entry could be gained only with the password "Brazil," Morgan Handbury, 21, a model from Canada who moved to New York City last month, was clutching her cocktail. "You can get this big club thing anywhere in the world — Miami, South Africa," said Ms. Handbury, who was wearing Levi's and a lingerie top. "I'd much rather be in a small lounge without all these random people. I hate the lighting in here, and the music is awful."

^^^

The pictures that go with the article are deplorable. The one on the front page of the section ("Sunday Styles," Section 9) are of a tinsel-curtain Avalon with really bad, cheap decorations (my high school PROM looked better than that)...There are handwritten, hand-made signs in mixed case that read,

LiVE!

SEX

ACTS

:jerkoff:

BARELY

LEGAL

With bikini-clad somethings on boxes.

The classic part of the picture is that there are guys leaning against the stage with their backs to the women looking bored out of their mind. You can almost put a caption above the one guy's head "I miss Twilo..."

I can only hope that This Too Shall Pass. :unhappy:

Let me see if I can get comp'd for PVD on Friday & I'll come along! Where are the cooljunkies when you need em?!?!

Victor Manuel is that trance in yo' pants or are you just happy to see Gina ---------- you need to come too! :tongue:

everyone is ALWAYS happy to see me... c'mon now! :D Vic says he going but I wouldn't believe him if he told me the earth was round! :tongue:

Let me see if I can get comp'd for PVD on Friday & I'll come along! Where are the cooljunkies when you need em?!?!

Victor Manuel is that trance in yo' pants or are you just happy to see Gina ---------- you need to come too! :tongue:

yeah, i'm going...or at least i'm planning to. i'm getting my tix this week.

btw, where do i buy them?

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

are you in NYC? i think you can buy them at Rebel, Rebel or Satellite Records. Not sure if they are available online anymore but try here.

are any of these places in Harlem or the South Bronx? it would be really convinient if they were 'cuz thats where i'm spending most of my days. :tongue:

yeah, i'm still here, i really cant wait to get back home. i miss walking around my apartment in my boxers. :(

satelite records it is.

1. Nathan Fake “Outhouse†(Border Community)

2. Chris Fraser “Flashpoint†(Original/Trendroid) (Release Promo)

3. Prassay “Krvsin†(Faya Combo)

4. Brass Monkey “Big Ride†(Hearing Aid)

5. Quest vs. The Dirty Fours “Basstrap/Rainmaker†(Vapour Promo)

6. Van Bellen & Greed “City Lights†(Chab rmx.) (SOG)

7. Dan Morris & Shylock “Bahdatu†(Chris Fortier & Kylo Edit/Randall Jones Stairway to the Gods rmxs.) (Fade Promo)

8. Noel Sanger “Carry On†(Sultan vs. Tonedepth rmx.) (Release Elements Promo)

9. Kingkade “Infectious†(Paris & Sharp/Inkfish) (Minimal Promo)

10. Indigo Child “Head First EP†(Silver Planet Promo)

11. Infusion “Dead Souls†(J. Ziemba Rmx.) (CDR)

12. Orielle “All I Know†(4 Tune 500) (Incentive Promo)

13. DJ Manny Groove “Back 2 Face U†(Bambossa)

14. Maurice & Noble “Hoochie Coochie Man†(CDR)

15. Dirty Bass “Emotional Soundscape†(CDR)

16. Burufunk “Outsider†(Grayarea’s Messin’ With Texas mix) (CDR)

17. Gary Dubbs “Twilo Moods†(Coldtap Promo)

18. Descent "Electric Storm" (Thomas Penton) (Propulsion)

19. Francesco Farfa “Kings of Dirty Gold†(Drummer’s Love Rmx) (CDR)

20. Sal Basile “Pulsating Rhythm†(Tribal Mayhem EP)

21. EWC “Getting Higher†(Lex. Ave. Rmx.) (Chillifunk Promo)

22. Bedrock “Heaven Scent†(Planet Rockers Rmx.) (White)

23. Unknown “Song of Life†(White)

24. Tim Scott “Confusion†(Original/Polekat) (Binary Promo)

25. Portishead “Roads†(RR1000)

Originally posted by thomar

1. Nathan Fake “Outhouse†(Border Community)

2. Chris Fraser “Flashpoint†(Original/Trendroid) (Release Promo)

3. Prassay “Krvsin†(Faya Combo)

4. Brass Monkey “Big Ride†(Hearing Aid)

5. Quest vs. The Dirty Fours “Basstrap/Rainmaker†(Vapour Promo)

6. Van Bellen & Greed “City Lights†(Chab rmx.) (SOG)

7. Dan Morris & Shylock “Bahdatu†(Chris Fortier & Kylo Edit/Randall Jones Stairway to the Gods rmxs.) (Fade Promo)

8. Noel Sanger “Carry On†(Sultan vs. Tonedepth rmx.) (Release Elements Promo)

9. Kingkade “Infectious†(Paris & Sharp/Inkfish) (Minimal Promo)

10. Indigo Child “Head First EP†(Silver Planet Promo)

11. Infusion “Dead Souls†(J. Ziemba Rmx.) (CDR)

12. Orielle “All I Know†(4 Tune 500) (Incentive Promo)

13. DJ Manny Groove “Back 2 Face U†(Bambossa)

14. Maurice & Noble “Hoochie Coochie Man†(CDR)

15. Dirty Bass “Emotional Soundscape†(CDR)

16. Burufunk “Outsider†(Grayarea’s Messin’ With Texas mix) (CDR)

17. Gary Dubbs “Twilo Moods†(Coldtap Promo)

18. Descent "Electric Storm" (Thomas Penton) (Propulsion)

19. Francesco Farfa “Kings of Dirty Gold†(Drummer’s Love Rmx) (CDR)

20. Sal Basile “Pulsating Rhythm†(Tribal Mayhem EP)

21. EWC “Getting Higher†(Lex. Ave. Rmx.) (Chillifunk Promo)

22. Bedrock “Heaven Scent†(Planet Rockers Rmx.) (White)

23. Unknown “Song of Life†(White)

24. Tim Scott “Confusion†(Original/Polekat) (Binary Promo)

25. Portishead “Roads†(RR1000)

whats the deal with your Global Underground: Cleveland CD? Is it in the mail yet? :confused: