Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

congrats thomar!

does prince charles have a last name?

tini, i want some chocolate cake! :(

i'm bored so I actually looked this up :laugh:

Answer

The royal family is known as the House of Windsor. This was adopted in 1917, and before that there was no general use of any family name, though strictly they were Saxe-Coburg Gotha after the death of Queen Victoria, and Hanover before that (exactly what family name the House of Hanover had has never really been settled). Under the Tudors and Stuarts the family or house name was more commonly used.

Strictly a member of the Royal Family who is a prince or princess doesn't have a surname, and it is only with the arrival of more distant members of the family without royal titles that the issue arises. In Continental royal families everyone is a prince or princess, in the House of Windsor only the children and grandchildren, and the eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales, are so styled. So we now have people like Lord Nicholas Windsor, son of the Duke of Kent (and a great-grandson of King George V), who use the family name Windsor.

Since 1960 the rule has been that descendants of Queen Elizabeth II shall bear the suurname Mountbatten-Windsor, though the Royal Family remains officially the House of Windsor. This new surname will only appear with the grandchildren (if any, and in the male line) of Prince Harry.

p.s. kken, i'll make you a cake for your bday! i know its not till october though :(

Charles' surname 'Windsor' should not belong in this page title. He should be described simply as 'Charles, Prince of Wales'. His surname would only come into play if the monarchy was abolished or he was removed from the line of succession. After all, his mother isn't referred to as 'Elizabeth II Windsor' or 'Elizabeth Windsor II' or the Spanish king as 'Juan Carlos Bourbon y Bourbon'. JTD 04:08 Dec 22, 2002 (UTC)

But he isn't a monarch yet. Prince Harry is at "Henry Charles Albert Windsor", although his brother is at Prince William of Wales, so we're being rather inconsistant. --

so i think technically his last name is Windsor but he doesn't use it???? I'm still confused. :confused:

OMG! Gina, i so did the same thing. We're all sycnhed up today.

:D

on a side note, i am exhausted today! i don't know what's up. i can barely keep my eyes open and i'm wearing my glasses today because putting my contacts in wasn't happening LOL I worked out this morning, I have no idea why I just want to snooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooze :(

I hope I'm not getting sick :(

Charles' surname 'Windsor' should not belong in this page title. He should be described simply as 'Charles, Prince of Wales'. His surname would only come into play if the monarchy was abolished or he was removed from the line of succession. After all, his mother isn't referred to as 'Elizabeth II Windsor' or 'Elizabeth Windsor II' or the Spanish king as 'Juan Carlos Bourbon y Bourbon'. JTD 04:08 Dec 22, 2002 (UTC)

But he isn't a monarch yet. Prince Harry is at "Henry Charles Albert Windsor", although his brother is at Prince William of Wales, so we're being rather inconsistant. --

so i think technically his last name is Windsor but he doesn't use it???? I'm still confused. :confused:

i stand corrected GK. nice work you two.