Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

this has got vic written all over it!

Teens Claim to Set New TV-Viewing Record

Fri Aug 20, 7:46 AM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - A pair of teenagers who spent more than two straight days publicly glued to a television set say they have set a new world record for uninterrupted TV viewing.

Chris Dean, 16, and Mike Dudek, 17, logged 52 consecutive hours of viewing time by the time they ended their feat at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

The teens, who are incoming high school seniors, surpassed the Guinness World Records mark of 50 hours and seven minutes by nearly two hours — giving new meaning to "must-see TV."

"We've got a record under our belts," Dudek told The Grand Rapids Press.

Confirmation of the record could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months because documentation must be sent to Guinness, Dean said.

The teens set up their television inside an International House of Pancakes restaurant because it is open 24 hours a day and the management was willing to participate. Workers, friends and onlookers watched Dean and Dudek with curiosity as the teens sat hour after hour in front of their set.

"It's a strange thing to want to do," said Virgil Sandberg, a food server at the IHOP. "It's probably one of the strangest things I've ever seen here."

According to rules set by Guinness, Dean and Dudek were required to remain awake with their eyes always on the television screen. They were given a five-minute break every hour and restroom trips were permitted only during 15-minute breaks every eight hours.

The pair also had to complete their task in a public place and keep a log book and video documentary of their activities. They dined exclusively off the IHOP menu — taking occasional shots of maple syrup — because outside food was not allowed.

Dean's parents, Gordon and Brenda Dean, helped document the event and said they were proud of their son's unusual achievement.

"He has to be good at something, this is just as well," Gordon Dean said. "He set a goal and reached it."

___

I am cracking up over here! I was just telling a friend about this article and asked him about our friend who was in the tv viewing contest and he said "yeah, he lasted 30 hours then he peed himself" :laugh: :laugh: I hope he was kidding..... :yuck:

LOL

btw gk, the blueberry morning is essential in getting the day of tv viewing off to a good start!

on a related note, i wonder what these kids watched for 52 straight hours. :huh:

Is anyone else glad Maurice Green lost the 100M --- there is confidence & then there is duche bag --- he had a tattoo that said GOAT (greatest of all time). Greatest? Really, then how come you won the bronze medal you LOSER! I just hated him strutting around like a peacock.....

Is anyone else glad Maurice Green lost the 100M --- there is confidence & then there is duche bag --- he had a tattoo that said GOAT (greatest of all time). Greatest? Really, then how come you won the bronze medal you LOSER! I just hated him strutting around like a peacock.....

werd.

btw, did you see any of the tennis?

werd.

btw, did you see any of the tennis?

Of course. Chile so deserved to win -- Massau or whatever his name is played like a 5 hour double match until 3am on Sunday morning, and then played & won the mens single match like 8 hours later. He really stepped up and played some hardcore tennis ---- the mens single match went 5 sets at 4+ hours --------> that's exhausting/hardcore. It was kind of a boring match tho b/c both players had a defensive game -- there were also some really bad calls.

Of course. Chile so deserved to win -- Massau or whatever his name is played like a 5 hour double match until 3am on Sunday morning, and then played & won the mens single match like 8 hours later. He really stepped up and played some hardcore tennis ---- the mens single match went 5 sets at 4+ hours --------> that's exhausting/hardcore. It was kind of a boring match tho b/c both players had a defensive game -- there were also some really bad calls.

did you watch the men's single match for the bronze? the other guy from chile won the match with a 16-14 5th set. that last set lasted about 2hrs.