Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

top seeds for the world cup have been announced.

Brazil, Germany, Italy, England, Argentina, France, Spain and Mexico.

How the fuck did we get a top seed? Football politics is all I can think of.

blatant kick in the U.S.'s balls. shocking how corrupt world athletics are.

although the thing is that history, performance and partcipation in prior world cups also play a big factor in determining the soem of the top seeds and te amount of fans they bring in.

netherlands and portugal, imo, are better teams than mexico, but netherlands didnt make it in 2002, portugal got bounced in the 1st round and had not made it in 98, 94, 90.

the US did well in 2002, last place in 98, good performance in 94, last in 90, and they only take like, what, 10-20 fans to the tournament.

performance in prior world cups. gotta be consistent over a few tournaments. korea and japan got top seeds in the last tournament 'cos they were host nations. host nation and current champion get automatic top seeds.

i think korea should get a second seed for this tournament since they reached the semi's.

performance in prior world cups. gotta be consistent over a few tournaments. korea and japan got top seeds in the last tournament 'cos they were host nations. host nation and current champion get automatic top seeds.

i think korea should get a second seed for this tournament since they reached the semi's.

exactly, i wasn't being sarcastic when i wanted to know why korea wasn't a top seed. despite the shit that goes on in other football leagues between world cups, i would think current rankings would give a lot of weight to the immediate past cup's performance. i know that host teams are automatically given top seeds but korea worked it thru a LOT of great euro teams to reach the semis... including current top seeds italy and spain. plus they only lost to germany by a score of 1-0 i think (can't remember, was listening to the game on a hispanic language radio station). so yeah, it's crap to me that they are even a second top seed.

oh well, only makes the victories that much more sweeter when korea kicks some more euro ass!

exactly, i wasn't being sarcastic when i wanted to know why korea wasn't a top seed. despite the shit that goes on in other football leagues between world cups, i would think current rankings would give a lot of weight to the immediate past cup's performance. i know that host teams are automatically given top seeds but korea worked it thru a LOT of great euro teams to reach the semis... including current top seeds italy and spain. plus they only lost to germany by a score of 1-0 i think (can't remember, was listening to the game on a hispanic language radio station). so yeah, it's crap to me that they are even a second top seed.

oh well, only makes the victories that much more sweeter when korea kicks some more euro ass!

let's not hide the issue kken, you were being sarcastic.

true, but the reason why they were not given a top seed is that there past performances: 98 (1 tie, 2 defeats), 94 (2 ties, 1 defeat), 90 (3 defeats), 86 (1 tie, 2 defeats).

this is what i found on FIFA's web site, the way they determined the teams for a top seed based on points awarded on current world rankings and points based on past world cup performances (netherlands and czech republic are ranked very high, but did not qualify in 2002 - czechs havent qualified since '90 and i think they are ranked #2 or #3).

http://www.fifa.com/documents/fifa/events/FinalDraw_Pot1.pdf

korea is currently ranked 29 by FIFA - which the rankings are kinda debatable (i.e. mexico is ranked #7, i have no idea how/why they are ranked that high - good participation in last years confederations cup, dissapointing performance in the gold cup, and the north american zone basically really sucks aside from mexico and the us).

in any case, korea is clearly the best team in asia, a good performance in this world cup would increase the chance of them getting a higher ranking in future world cups.

looking at the other countries in the tournament this is the way i think they will get seeded:

SEED 1: Germany, Brazil, Italy, Argentina, France, England, Spain, Mexico

SEED 2: Korea, Czech Rep, Croatia, Netherlands, Sweden, Paraguay, US, Portugal

SEED 3: Ukraine, Poland, Japan, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Iran, Switzerland

SEED 4: Trinidad, Togo, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Angola, Australia, Ghana

Special consideration: Serbia-Montenegro (they will be placed in a group where there is only 1 other european team - there can't be 1 group with 3 european teams)

which i just found out that i am. aside from the top seeds, the rest of the teams were seeded according to geografic region.

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?d_date=20051206&xref=20051206dasdasftb_9&type=Tes&anchor=dasftbP00

- Bombo 1: Alemania (A1), Brasil (F1), España, Inglaterra, México, Argentina, Italia y Francia.

- Bombo 2: Cinco africanos (Túnez, Costa de Marfil, Ghana, Angola y Togo), 2 sudamericanos (Paraguay y Ecuador) y uno de Oceanía (Australia).

- Bombo 3 (8 europeos): Holanda, Suecia, Croacia, República Checa, Portugal, Polonia, Suiza y Ucrania.

- Bombo 4: cuatro asiáticos (Japón, Corea del Sur, Irán y Arabia Saudí) y tres de la Confederación de Fútbol (Estados Unidos, Costa Rica y Trinidad y Tobago)

- Bombo especial: Serbia y Montenegro.

i'm to lazy to translate, you guys should be able to figure it out.