Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Fatal stabbing at Guernica

Bouncer fatally stabbed in brawl over NYC smoking ban

Sunday April 13, 2003

(New York-AP) -- A bouncer at an East Village nightclub is dead after he was stabbed in a brawl that police say began when he tried to enforce the city's new ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

Thirty-two-year-old Dana Blake died at Beth Israel Medical Center about 11 hours after the late-night fight at Guernica, a club on Avenue B. Police say he had been stabbed in the lower abdomen.

Two brothers, Johnathan and Ching Chan, have been arrested and charged with assault.

Prosecutors haven't decided whether to upgrade the charges because of Blake's death.

Police say Blake approached the two men at about 2:30 a-m to tell them they could not smoke in the bar. It's unclear whether one or both of the men were smoking.

Witnesses told police harsh words were then exchanged and the brawl began when Blake tried to eject Johnathan Chan for disorderly behavior. Blake was stabbed in the fight, but it's unclear who stabbed him or with what

yeah , I knew him personally and i was even there that night. He was a great Guy and would never fuck with anybody for no reason. I really hope that the charges get upgraded to murder because an assault charge is bullshit. There is going to be a memorial get together for him tomorrow night at Guernica. I will definitley be there.

Shazzam will never be forgotten.

Originally posted by vindiesel

yeah , I knew him personally and i was even there that night. He was a great Guy and would never fuck with anybody for no reason. I really hope that the charges get upgraded to murder because an assault charge is bullshit. There is going to be a memorial get together for him tomorrow night at Guernica. I will definitley be there.

Shazzam will never be forgotten.

Sorry for your loss :( may he rest in peace...

I can't believe what people do to each other these days, what's wrong with them?:(

Originally posted by dmtgod

this is horrible, but for some reason i knew it would happen. I thought it was just a matter of time. I cant beleive it happened so quickly. this is beyond retarded and a shame.:(

you knew the cigarette ban would turn to violence?

It could have been over anything...some people just have beef when they are getting kicked out of a place, and for whatever reason.

Obviously they had a problem with the bouncer / being asked to do anything and tragedy resulted. These guys were clearly assholes. Its hard to imagine pulling a weapon on a bouncer regardless of the situation. :confused:

Originally posted by hotcheme

you knew the cigarette ban would turn to violence?

Yes, and i've been saying it repeatedly any time someone brings it up. I know a lot of great people, and i'm not trying to imply anything about anyone specific, but i have too little faith in humanity to think anything other than this would happen. we're all just savage beasts at heart. I know many are going to disagree and thats ok, but i'm not here to argue the basis of human nature. Just that it doesnt suprise me.

Every time someone says "Blah blah blah, and it worked in LA, blah blah blah. . . " I stop and say, "I dont care where it worked, this is NYC. Shit is different around here."

I hate to say it, but there are lots of assholes around here who are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what anyone else has to say about it. I just hope Mr. Bloomberg has a hard time sleeping, and that those two pricks go to jail and get defiled during their stay (which probably is going to be a lot shorter than it should be).

Yes, and i've been saying it repeatedly any time someone brings it up. I know a lot of great people, and i'm not trying to imply anything about anyone specific, but i have too little faith in humanity to think anything other than this would happen. we're all just savage beasts at heart. I know many are going to disagree and thats ok, but i'm not here to argue the basis of human nature. Just that it doesnt suprise me.

Every time someone says "Blah blah blah, and it worked in LA, blah blah blah. . . " I stop and say, "I dont care where it worked, this is NYC. Shit is different around here."

I hate to say it, but there are lots of assholes around here who are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what anyone else has to say about it. I just hope Mr. Bloomberg has a hard time sleeping, and that those two pricks go to jail and get defiled during their stay (which probably is going to be a lot shorter than it should be).

This is not Mr. Bloomberg's fault, mom.

Shazzam didn't die for the goddamn cigarette ban. He died at the hands of a fucking asshole, plain and simple. You think that idiot didn't get in trouble before? A nicotine jonez aint' all THAT.

Stupid shit can provoke something horrible, but only a disturbed, violent person will KILL for it. How dare you or ANYONE blame a LAW. This is the same argument that jusitfies Ozzy's "suicides olution' made a teen kill himself.

A person that takes another person's LIFE is a sick person, using any excuse. This guy was a timebomb.

I H I

I'm sorry but the fact you are trying to blame Bloomberg for this senseless murder is absolutely ludicrous. Two cops were killed a few weeks ago in a drug sting, maybe the police should reconsider going after drug dealers