Clubplanet Nightlife Community

For anyone who knows about Transmissions???

elementx

Basically when I hit a bump or turn when I take my foot off the gas and then put it back on the gas the tranny slips out of gear and then back in...

Is there hope. Or is my tranny going???

Expensive fix. Or shouldn't be that bad???

It is a 90' Cutlass Ciera ( Yeah a piece of shit ) but has gotten me from point A to Point B for some time now while I try and save for a house...

Anyone who knows anything about Transmissions please reply. The reason I am asking on here is because I dont want to bring it into a shop and them look at the car and come up with a figure so high that I say fuck it. But still have to pay them just for looking at the thing...

Thanks

Originally posted by petp

first try changing your tranny fluid. if not, trannys are VERY expensive...but on a domestic car it might not be horrible.

Thanks... I was actually going to take it in this weekend to change the fluid...

yeah, do yourself a HUGE favor, go get a few quarts of uhh... fuck... my mind is blank.... trickshift or whatever??? someone will fill in the blank... its the one that competes with redline, but its dirt cheap from a GM dealer...

also, you may want to check your clutch... perhaps its shot...

Old cutlass... hmmm.

1.) GM Synchromesh is for manual transmissions, so if yours is an auto, it may not work.

2.) IF it's an auto and it's slipping in and out of gear, you may have more serious probllems to address. I hate to be the one to say it, but an auto tranny that slips in and out of gear while driving usually means you won't have a working tranny much longer.

You MIGHT get lucky in the sense that it may be a bad sensor or switch, causing the tranny to think its going a different speed or idling, so that it changes gears... but with a 1990 Olds, and the quality of american auto trannies, i'd bet the problem may be more serious than that.

Originally posted by cintron

Old cutlass... hmmm.

1.) GM Synchromesh is for manual transmissions, so if yours is an auto, it may not work.

2.) IF it's an auto and it's slipping in and out of gear, you may have more serious probllems to address. I hate to be the one to say it, but an auto tranny that slips in and out of gear while driving usually means you won't have a working tranny much longer.

You MIGHT get lucky in the sense that it may be a bad sensor or switch, causing the tranny to think its going a different speed or idling, so that it changes gears... but with a 1990 Olds, and the quality of american auto trannies, i'd bet the problem may be more serious than that.

Question... I know that my idle sensor is shot... Could that have anything to do with it???

Originally posted by elementx

Question... I know that my idle sensor is shot... Could that have anything to do with it???

the idle speed sensor on the transmission may very well have something to do with it.

my uncle had a similar problem with his 90 Galant, and it turned out to be a sensor problem.

I"d def. try replacing that first if you can, before moving on to hardcore work.

Originally posted by cintron

the idle speed sensor on the transmission may very well have something to do with it.

my uncle had a similar problem with his 90 Galant, and it turned out to be a sensor problem.

I"d def. try replacing that first if you can, before moving on to hardcore work.

Thanks I appreciate it... I am only trying to get another 6 or 7 Months from this car. This is why I am hoping it is nothing too major. Or that it at least hold up until December...

To all interested... I had my Tranny fluid changed and my whole way to work the tranny did not slip... I don't want to get to happy yet. It may be a fluke. But it would normally slip on every left turn that I make... So I have my fingers crossed that it will stay the way it is...

At least till December... :)