Clubplanet Nightlife Community

computer geeks... I got a ?

Originally posted by Ronin

Anyone know why the time on my PC keeps lagging off by about 10 mins. I'll change it back to the time it should be and it just starts lagging off again, and it is now 2 mins behind. It's getting annoying.

Do you have it set in the right time zone?

it's very likely you have a faulty motherboard. try this:

-turn off all background applications, specially antivirus. see if the problem still happens.

-check the time on the BIOS setup screen to see if it's off like in windows

-turn off all power management functions in windows and in the BIOS.

-update the BIOS on your motherboard if there's a newer version

if it's not the above, then your motherboard crapped out.

Originally posted by brooklynkid

i have the same problem on both of my PCs, only they are ahead by a few minutes. no clue why that happens, but the motherboard is a good guess.

clocks on PCs are notoriously crappy. i dont have a single machine with a clock at what it should be. you can run a little program that periodically syncs with the right time (by contacting a public time server on the net).

most machines will drift forward or backwards by a few minutes every month. but what he's saying i believe is that it happens within minutes....like by the end of the day the clock is 30 minutes off or something. if that's the case, then it could be any of those things on my previous post.

yes the battery really has nothing to do with it. its just for when ur comp is off to store bios settings, i heard of this problem before and it did have something to do with the motherboard, it could be just fucked up. Check to see if ur resources are good,

NO ONE ASKED WHAT KIND OF PC it is

What Operating System

Etc... Etc...

Even though it might not even matter

make sure all ur drivers are updated and the rest of that shit

its windows 98, and i rarely turn my computer off. I can reset the time and within mins, its lagged a couple already. I came home from work today and it was 20 mins slow. How do i check the above mentioned things out?

well... before you do anything... go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and download everything... you may have to reboot and go back a few times... but theres 9 million patches, service packs, updates, etc.... you can fix a lot of whacky shit with those...

also, are you on a network of any kind? or is it just 1 computer and a cable modem or something?

if you're on a win2k network, check the PDC's clock, whenever you logon a workstation it sets the client's clock... and may also set it from time to time when other interactions occur... (this probably doesn't relate to you, but i figured i'd throw it out there just incase)

Originally posted by biatchzxz

Yeah def get everything updated, another thing bro, I would suggest to update 98 to WinXP, its a lot more stable and wont give u as much problems i can prolly get u a copy of it if you want , just let me know

ehh... i wouldn't...

if you really want to upgrade... i guess he could go to WinME and keep with the 9x kernel...

but going from 98 to XP is going to be a HUGE performance drop unless he has a ton of ram...

i run all my boxes on win2k still... solid (well... comon, we ARE talking microsoft here...), about as light weight as it gets without sacrificing stability (and without going *nix)

I don't think anyone is arguing that all version of Windows suck. I am guessing that if his comp is running 98, he probably doesn't have the firepower to run XP (memory and processor).

Checking the battery is a good place to start, but upgrading the OS and installing a bunch of service packs most likely won't help out this issue. Its pretty safe to say that this is h/w issue.

i'm not comparing ME to anything... i'm saying if hes on the 9x kernel... just upgrade to the latest if you're gonna upgrade...

if you move to the NT kernel... then consider win2k because its a lot lighter...

but like peternorth said... its probably hardware... although, i've seen some REALLY strange things go away from service packs and updates... only the code writers could explain some of it...

Originally posted by joeg

i'm not comparing ME to anything... i'm saying if hes on the 9x kernel... just upgrade to the latest if you're gonna upgrade...

if you move to the NT kernel... then consider win2k because its a lot lighter...

but like peternorth said... its probably hardware... although, i've seen some REALLY strange things go away from service packs and updates... only the code writers could explain some of it...

Yeah upgrading Def helps a lot with some shitty ass bugs and what not...

you got my hopes up...

i was hoping there was a programming question...

i finally reached that level.

this is old but i'm going to say something w/ cmos or bios is wrong.

Originally posted by Ronin

Anyone know why the time on my PC keeps lagging off by about 10 mins. I'll change it back to the time it should be and it just starts lagging off again, and it is now 2 mins behind. It's getting annoying.