Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Champions League & La Liga / '03-'04

vipnerd

ESPN Deportes to launch full time in Q3

Disney (NYSE: DIS) unit ESPN has announced that it will expand its Sunday night Spanish-language US cable/satellite TV service ESPN Deportes to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week sometime in the 3rd quarter of 2003.

ESPN International is currently negotiating with Switzerland-based sports marketing company TEAM Marketing AG for TV rights to the UEFA Champions League in all countries and territories outside Europe. The current contract between ESPN International and TEAM will expire in May 2003.

According to several sources, if ESPN International is able to secure the US TV rights to the UEFA Champions League for the 2003-2004 season, ESPN Deportes will air AT LEAST 4 UEFA Champions League matches on each match day from Match Day 1 through the quarterfinal round, with doubleheaders on match Tuesdays and Wednesday usually at 2:30pm Eastern Time. ESPN Deportes is expected to also air both legs of both UEFA Champions League semifinal series and the final.

ESPN International holds an option to purchase US TV rights to 3 first-choice Spanish Primera Division (a.k.a. La Liga) matches each week via an agreement with Barcelona-based sports marketing agency Media Pro. Sources indicate that ESPN International intends to exercise this option so that ESPN Deportes can air La Liga matches, including the matches involving Real Madrid and Barcelona, LIVE in the US.

ESPN Deportes will offer its weekly futbol talk show Fuera del Juego, hosted by ESPN Latin America futbol play-by-play announcer Luis Omar Tapia. Tapia did play-by-play for Univision Sports during World Cup 2002.

ESPN Deportes will also air SportsCenter en Espanol, a nightly sports news and information program, with emphasis on entertainment sports consumed by US Hispanic viewers. SportsCenter en Espanol will compete against TeleFutura's Contacto Deportivo, Telemundo's Titulares Telemundo, and FOX Sports en Espanol's Score Final.

ESPN Deportes is currently available to about 13 million US TV households on Sunday nights via analog or digital cable in selected areas, as well as via DirecTV Para Todos direct broadcast satellite TV. A "DirecTV Multi-Satellite" dish capable of receiving programming from both the 101 and 119 degrees longitude orbital positions, in addition to a DirecTV satellite receiver (manufactured after 1999) capable of receiving programming from multiple satellites, are required to receive DirecTV Para Todos programming.

will we be able to have an ESPN network targetting the hispanic audiences? i'm only interested in the football, the rest of the day they can show hot chicks in skimpy bikini's ala Univision on their sunday morning sports programme.

Originally posted by vicman

will we be able to have an ESPN network targetting the hispanic audiences? i'm only interested in the football, the rest of the day they can show hot chicks in skimpy bikini's ala Univision on their sunday morning sports programme.

Bump ... :D :D :D

i saw that article on soccertv.com

whatsup with espndeportes that just for latin and south america i believe----

this year one champs league game a week and next year they dont have a contract i believe.....

FSW sucks as well they just showed a few good games in the past 2 weeks but they usually show junk---not to mention the highlights show is scored and advertising covers 75% of the screen.....................

now can we say that the us is catching up with football NO WAY!!!!

we should be able to watch alot of games for example in europe they show NBA AND THE NFL.

and one thing that makes me sick is these US Commentators talk thrash since they were in the final 8 this world cup saying they have the best keepers in the EPL lmao and the best players

meanwhile MLS is a circus show with players not knowing how to play and this will all be exposed at the confederations cup in June

usavs.-brazil-cameroon and turkey

oh yea

what im trying to say is espn get a fuckin soccer channel show

EPL,LA LIFA,SERIE A,some french league and throw in one bundesliga game per week

along with champs league,uefa cup intertoto cup

there is a big market out there

Sutogame:

ESPN Deportes is already in the US ...

"ESPN Deportes is currently available to about 13 million US TV households on Sunday nights via analog or digital cable in selected areas, as well as via DirecTV Para Todos direct broadcast satellite TV."

They will most probably get the package for the Champions League outside Europe ... which would mean ...

"if ESPN International is able to secure the US TV rights to the UEFA Champions League for the 2003-2004 season, ESPN Deportes will air AT LEAST 4 UEFA Champions League matches on each match day from Match Day 1 through the quarterfinal round, with doubleheaders on match Tuesdays and Wednesday usually at 2:30pm Eastern Time. ESPN Deportes is expected to also air both legs of both UEFA Champions League semifinal series and the final.

ESPN International holds an option to purchase US TV rights to 3 first-choice Spanish Primera Division (a.k.a. La Liga) matches each week via an agreement with Barcelona-based sports marketing agency Media Pro. Sources indicate that ESPN International intends to exercise this option so that ESPN Deportes can air La Liga matches, including the matches involving Real Madrid and Barcelona, LIVE in the US."

I agree with you in the low coverage of top european club games ... hopefully our demand will be heard ... :mad:

What I didn't get to understand is why they didn't show any La liga games this year ... or more games from the Champions ... they had the rights bought ... and in the worst ... freaking sell the rights to another provider ... but hey ... they rather dust the games ... than to give them to any competitor :rolleyes:

Doesn't make sense to me ... :blank: