Clubplanet Nightlife Community

madonna new CD

stdiamante

Originally posted by zlatang

www.mtv.com

i think erotica was her best...she sold herself to the mainstream after it....

She sold herself to the mainstream after erotica????

Newsflash: SHE'S ALWAYS BEEN MAINSTREAM.

Much more so before erotica. Please don't comapare her early years to underground dance because it was not.

-iliana

:)

Originally posted by iliana

She sold herself to the mainstream after erotica????

Newsflash: SHE'S ALWAYS BEEN MAINSTREAM.

Much more so before erotica. Please don't comapare her early years to underground dance because it was not.

-iliana

:)

hmm i didn't make myself clear: a short period between vogue and erotica, (and this also expands to some of the songs from the bedtimestories), madonna was really edgy -- working with bjork, massive attact, having highly artistic video production and most importantly -- making the edge of club music accessible. but of course this didin't work and she didn't sell that kind of music (and image) well in the conservative US. hence: babyface and selling out to the mainstream. i did not of course think that songs "like a virgin" or "material girl" can be seen as anything else but cheap (yet cute) mainstream. but remember the autralian tour and her imitation of marlana dietrich -- that was art (in a way pop culture can be seen as art at all).

so if you like her that much so as to put her sticker in your sig, give her some credit....

hmm i didn't make myself clear: a short period between vogue and erotica, (and this also expands to some of the songs from the bedtimestories), madonna was really edgy -- working with bjork, massive attact, having highly artistic video production and most importantly -- making the edge of club music accessible. but of course this didin't work and she didn't sell that kind of music (and image) well in the conservative US. hence: babyface and selling out to the mainstream. i did not of course think that songs "like a virgin" or "material girl" can be seen as anything else but cheap (yet cute) mainstream. but remember the autralian tour and her imitation of marlana dietrich -- that was art (in a way pop culture can be seen as art at all).

so if you like her that much so as to put her sticker in your sig, give her some credit....

Have I taken credit away from her? No one ever said she WASN't edgy or artisitc. She's edgy because she's flirts with taboo issues on the mainstream. It would be different if she was an underground artist. And her art has always been a part of her evolution of style. Wether she's imitating MArlene or Marilyn, Madonna conveys herself over an array of dynamic personalities. That's why she has with-stood the test of time.

Correction: Madonna didn't collaborate with Bjork. Bjork wrote bedtime story NOT for Madonna and if you remember correctly the two of them did not get along.

Before you state musical 'facts' make sure they are correct.

-iliana

:cool:

Guest saleen351

Madonnas career is ova.......... that cd is a piece of shit, so is any mix of american life...........

OK first of all, Madonna's career is not over!

There will always be the ppl that hate, so that comment does not shock me.

This cd is very different than anything she's done, or really, than anything anybody is doing right now...

It's incredibly personal, and more open than any other artist out there right now, and it's way more guitar oriented than she's ever gone. It's a combo of folk, rock, electro...which is a mesh of genres that usually do not go hand in hand. Any time the ear hears something it's not used to, you'll second guess it. But give it a chance, I think it's great that she's getting experimental with her music.

I'll admit...It's not a one listen cd. You don't get it immediately. But after a couple listens I have fallen in love with it.

Granted I've been a fan for a very long time, but she's trying to say something with this record. And in this day and age, music with meaning is refreshing to me.

I also happened to be at the Tower Records performance on wednesday and got to meet her, got her autograph, everything.

The performance was absolutely amazing, she sounded amazing, looked amazing, and was happy to be there. The vibe in there was incredible. She was even in such a good mood that she did an acoustic version of Like a Virgin BY REQUEST from the audience.

Having her perform the songs live made me appreciate the music even more. If you don't like the cd and have fully given it a chance, that's fine, it's your opinion. But if you've quickly judged the cd or even her this time, I think you should take another listen.

My two cents

;)

Originally posted by stdiamante

hey whats the info on Madonnas new CD? What the difference between all the different versions?

Thanks

If you're talking about the diff mixes...

They are:

1. American Life (Missy Elliot remix)

2. American Life (Oakenfold Downtempo remix)

3. American Life (Felix Da Housecat's Devin Dazzle Club mix)

4. American Life (Peter Rauhofer's American Anthem) (Part 1)

5. American Life (Peter Rauhofer's American Anthem) (Part 2)

Missy mix=ehh. next...

Oakenfold=the mix they have switched over to playing on the radio.

Felix=nice job (electro)

Peter=1 and 2 are nice, sorta a mix between his older style and new, second mix more undergroundy

Hope that answers your question.

Have I taken credit away from her? No one ever said she WASN't edgy or artisitc. She's edgy because she's flirts with taboo issues on the mainstream. It would be different if she was an underground artist. And her art has always been a part of her evolution of style. Wether she's imitating MArlene or Marilyn, Madonna conveys herself over an array of dynamic personalities. That's why she has with-stood the test of time.

Correction: Madonna didn't collaborate with Bjork. Bjork wrote bedtime story NOT for Madonna and if you remember correctly the two of them did not get along.

Before you state musical 'facts' make sure they are correct.

-iliana

ok ms check-it-online-facts, lol. (how did you find time to do all this research?)

i would have an issue here though -- how can one "flirt with taboo issues on the mainstream"? that's not clear -- i don't think one can be edgy AND mainstream. and did you mean that she flirts with the mainstream taboos? that would make more sense. anyway, i am sorry to say this, but after her 'ray of light' pseudo-spiritual (actually household-commodified) 'reinvention' i was disappointed. perhaps for the mainstream audience that was good -- she got rid of the S&M and all those crazy european-style videos... for me that was the moment of the final sale to the dreamers of the american dream, who still dwell in their little suburban houses and love to see madonna finally speaking to them.

perhaps a longer stay in the UK will help her recover....

Originally posted by sdeelite

If you're talking about the diff mixes...

They are:

1. American Life (Missy Elliot remix)

2. American Life (Oakenfold Downtempo remix)

3. American Life (Felix Da Housecat's Devin Dazzle Club mix)

4. American Life (Peter Rauhofer's American Anthem) (Part 1)

5. American Life (Peter Rauhofer's American Anthem) (Part 2)

Missy mix=ehh. next...

Oakenfold=the mix they have switched over to playing on the radio.

Felix=nice job (electro)

Peter=1 and 2 are nice, sorta a mix between his older style and new, second mix more undergroundy

Hope that answers your question.

hey where can i hear the felix remix????

:confused:

Guest saleen351

the track is American life, yet, she lives in enlgland where her husband has ruied her career. Her movie was the bomb of the year.. They laughed at it, that it was so bad. This cd will do alright based on its her, but after that, nada.....

Kelly Clarkson will out sell madonna....

Originally posted by saleen351

the track is American life, yet, she lives in enlgland where her husband has ruied her career. Her movie was the bomb of the year.. They laughed at it, that it was so bad. This cd will do alright based on its her, but after that, nada.....

Kelly Clarkson will out sell madonna....

She's making a statement about american life and society and she doesn't live in england the whole yr., and she did live in america 24/7 until a couple yrs. ago, let's not forget.

Yeah, I can agree tho, Swept Away really blew. What can you do, movies were never her strong point.

I think next week Madonna will be #1 on the charts outselling Kelly...Kelly has been selling well, but there should be the usual drop off in sales after the first few weeks of a debut anyway.

ok ms check-it-online-facts, lol. (how did you find time to do all this research?)

i would have an issue here though -- how can one "flirt with taboo issues on the mainstream"? that's not clear -- i don't think one can be edgy AND mainstream. and did you mean that she flirts with the mainstream taboos? that would make more sense. anyway, i am sorry to say this, but after her 'ray of light' pseudo-spiritual (actually household-commodified) 'reinvention' i was disappointed. perhaps for the mainstream audience that was good -- she got rid of the S&M and all those crazy european-style videos... for me that was the moment of the final sale to the dreamers of the american dream, who still dwell in their little suburban houses and love to see madonna finally speaking to them.

perhaps a longer stay in the UK will help her recover....

No, I didn't research the bjork-Madonna conflict online. It was news that I read when Bed Time Story came out. I was obsessed with that song for months.

What's the problem with being edgy while being mainstream? Granted, Madonna has NEVER been in the "wholesome" category like Debbie Gibson or Michael Jackson's early years, but being world famous and having your songs on many radio stations will label you as mainstream. Her subject matter made her notorious and edgy. Hence, Madonna was in the mainstream "flirting with taboo issues" and raising alot of controversy.

I personally think that your opinion of Madonna's "pseudo-spiritual household-commodified reinvention" has no merit. It appears that you were only fascinated with that one style/era of Madonna's that had to do with S & M, erotica, and her X book. It's great that you think she was at her greatest then, but to appreciate Madonna, I think it's only possible to love all of her reinventions. Is it hard for you to grasp that she caters to evolution? You think her 'new found" spirituality is fake, or studio produced? If so, then you haven't been following her from the beginning.

-iliana

I personally think that your opinion of Madonna's "pseudo-spiritual household-commodified reinvention" has no merit. It appears that you were only fascinated with that one style/era of Madonna's that had to do with S & M, erotica, and her X book. It's great that you think she was at her greatest then, but to appreciate Madonna, I think it's only possible to love all of her reinventions.

-iliana

Very well said...

If you're a real fan you will accept and love any and all of her reincarnations or phases or whatever you want to call them.

Her fans tend to be very open minded ppl that have no problem finding merit in anything that she does.

[zlatang]It's funny that the sex phase was your favorite, cuz as much as I found that entertaining as well, that was considered a huge low point in her career from critics at the time. And they said she was over then too....

I don't think she regrets it at this point, but I wouldn't think the Madonna of now would pick that as her favorite time if asked about it now.

Then again she doesn't really dwell on the past too much so maybe she doesn't think about it anyway.

No, I didn't research the bjork-Madonna conflict online. It was news that I read when Bed Time Story came out. I was obsessed with that song for months.

What's the problem with being edgy while being mainstream? Granted, Madonna has NEVER been in the "wholesome" category like Debbie Gibson or Michael Jackson's early years, but being world famous and having your songs on many radio stations will label you as mainstream. Her subject matter made her notorious and edgy. Hence, Madonna was in the mainstream "flirting with taboo issues" and raising alot of controversy.

I personally think that your opinion of Madonna's "pseudo-spiritual household-commodified reinvention" has no merit. It appears that you were only fascinated with that one style/era of Madonna's that had to do with S & M, erotica, and her X book. It's great that you think she was at her greatest then, but to appreciate Madonna, I think it's only possible to love all of her reinventions. Is it hard for you to grasp that she caters to evolution? You think her 'new found" spirituality is fake, or studio produced? If so, then you haven't been following her from the beginning.

-iliana

wow this discussion is getting civilised! indeed perhaps i found one facet of hers (erotica) that i liked; what she did after that (and i am not here to judge it 'objectively') did not appeal to me. not because it wasn't 'controversial' but because music-wise it meant a return to something that i would call cheesy, or appealing to the mass-audience. perhaps madonna who i liked enever existed, and was a creature of her agents, but we shall never know that.

i again don't understand you: what does the 'material girl' have to do with madonna's *spirituality*? do you think that 'like a virgin' is not comparable to 'thriller'? i would have a problem with that.

or perhaps it is a path that i'm not familiar with... am i to see in 'like a prayer' traces of the 'ray of light' madonna? i hated her music then -- i thought it ranked her amongst the worst performers (only to be tollerable compared to rap) -- sorry that i expressed my opinion here! i was amazed how she emulated 'vogue' (actually stole it from mclaren) and appeared sophisticated. however in 'truth or dare' there is one scene in which she eats some kind of a soup out of a huge silver bowl, and there you can see it all -- by the way she is eating and holding the spoon, you cen see exactly where she is from. all the credits to jean paul and d&g, but certain things cannot be acquired easily.

so to get back to your point- yess, i agree, she changed a lot, and perhaps a true admirer can see that as a continual process which comes from WITHIN her. what i see though is a manipulation with the american puritanism and conservativism, and that in a way annoys me. if that is an evolution, i would see it as a regressive one. however, if that makes her survive then she is the winner....in darwin's terms at least.

[zlatang]It's funny that the sex phase was your favorite, cuz as much as I found that entertaining as well, that was considered a huge low point in her career from critics at the time. And they said she was over then too....

I don't think she regrets it at this point, but I wouldn't think the Madonna of now would pick that as her favorite time if asked about it now.

it is excellent that you brought this up, because that is a part of my argument: erotica didn't sell well, it was way too much for the average joe (button-down-tucked-in preppy or a female version of it), and madonna got scared. after all, she was after getting joe's money. what did she do next? hire babyface (gawd) to commodify herself. and in a year she was on the cover of the 'my home' (or whatever cheesy name) magazine. that is the problem.

i wonder what critics are you referring to -- the ones in europe loved the album. it was for the first time respected -- she was in 'the face' mag, she got all the stars in sex and erotica campaign materials, she said that she can't do a song with jackson because he "still wears white socks" -- in a word, she became a style icon on all levels. i presume that the conservative critics here, used to mariah carrey and alike were raving against such music....

it is excellent that you brought this up, because that is a part of my argument: erotica didn't sell well, it was way too much for the average joe (button-down-tucked-in preppy or a female version of it), and madonna got scared. after all, she was after getting joe's money. what did she do next? hire babyface (gawd) to commodify herself. and in a year she was on the cover of the 'my home' (or whatever cheesy name) magazine. that is the problem.

i wonder what critics are you referring to -- the ones in europe loved the album. it was for the first time respected -- she was in 'the face' mag, she got all the stars in sex and erotica campaign materials, she said that she can't do a song with jackson because he "still wears white socks" -- in a word, she became a style icon on all levels. i presume that the conservative critics here, used to mariah carrey and alike were raving against such music....

Zlatang, I respect your opinion on loving the Erotica period, but it's a fact that her songs at the time LACKED SUBSTANCE. Madonna was using shock value as art. It's safe to say that these factors contibuted to the critics bashing her. (Yes, American critics did bash Madonna and, as sdeelite mentioned before, went so far as to claim the end of her career)I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the average joe not being able to handle sex.

If you go from Like a Prayer, one of her best albums, to Erotica a half-decent album you'll see that Madonna was moving into an ultra-narcissistic, rebellious stage. It was mush more in-your-face than when she first began. I think she needed all that ...she needed to cleanse her system. And now she's over it and acting like a great artist.

-iliana

Zlatang, I respect your opinion on loving the Erotica period, but it's a fact that her songs at the time LACKED SUBSTANCE. Madonna was using shock value as art. It's safe to say that these factors contibuted to the critics bashing her. (Yes, American critics did bash Madonna and, as sdeelite mentioned before, went so far as to claim the end of her career)I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the average joe not being able to handle sex.

If you go from Like a Prayer, one of her best albums, to Erotica a half-decent album you'll see that Madonna was moving into an ultra-narcissistic, rebellious stage. It was mush more in-your-face than when she first began. I think she needed all that ...she needed to cleanse her system. And now she's over it and acting like a great artist.

-iliana

well i can only say that i respect your opinion too, but we seem to like totally opposite things in her opus. c'est la vie.

Erotica actually ended up selling 6 million copies which in Madonna terms is considered a flop (sick really)...for anyone else it would be considered a huge success. I didn't research this just now, I happen to be a huge fan that after yrs. of reading up on her and watching her, retains information.

She did not hire babyface on Bedtime Stories to appeal to the mainstream...she happened to be more into an R+B/Jazzy vibe at the time and Babyface is included in that sound. And the reason she was on "my home" (that's not even a real magazine, but that's another story) a couple yrs. later was because she had become a mother, and that part of life had become important to her, as opposed to being a sexually expressive single woman a couple yrs. before.

Her life goes thru changes just like anybody else, only she has everyone scrutinizing her as she lives her life. And whatever goes on in her life is seriously reflected in her music. She has never worried about what would be considered mainstream or not, she just produces a sound and vibe that she is feeling in her life at the time. All of her albums are complete proof of this, inlcuding her most recent work.

Erotica actually ended up selling 6 million copies which in Madonna terms is considered a flop (sick really)...for anyone else it would be considered a huge success. I didn't research this just now, I happen to be a huge fan that after yrs. of reading up on her and watching her, retains information.

She did not hire babyface on Bedtime Stories to appeal to the mainstream...she happened to be more into an R+B/Jazzy vibe at the time and Babyface is included in that sound. And the reason she was on "my home" (that's not even a real magazine, but that's another story) a couple yrs. later was because she had become a mother, and that part of life had become important to her, as opposed to being a sexually expressive single woman a couple yrs. before.

Her life goes thru changes just like anybody else, only she has everyone scrutinizing her as she lives her life. And whatever goes on in her life is seriously reflected in her music. She has never worried about what would be considered mainstream or not, she just produces a sound and vibe that she is feeling in her life at the time. All of her albums are complete proof of this, inlcuding her most recent work.

ok just a few questions:

1. did madonna herself told you she felt more R+B/jazzy after doing erotica? why would i trust you on that? or was it the press release that said it?

2. how do YOU know that whatever goies in her life "is seriously reflected in her music"? are you her personal friend (trainer?) or perhaps her agent?

3. do you have a little shrine devoted to madonna in your flat? or do you rather communicate with her while you both meditate on the new-age-puffed-up-cloud of *spirituality*?

:rolleyes: