Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Rave Act Passed Into Law

sobe2003

From the looks of it - club owners could be in trouble:

Anti-Ecstasy law worries promoters, ACLU

By Staff and Wire Services

The popular Amber Alert legislation signed Wednesday by President George W. Bush contains a provision to crack down on illegal use of Ecstasy and other drugs at nightclubs.

Critics in the Los Angeles music industry and the American Civil Liberties Union said the law -- fast-tracked without public comment -- could have a chilling effect on rock concerts and other events, in addition to the rave shows targeted by lawmakers.

"You could have hotels prosecuted, you could have sporting events prosecuted, basically anything or anywhere you could expect someone to try and use drugs," said Marvin Johnson, an ACLU lawyer.

A provision of the new law was originally introduced as the RAVE Act -- or Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy Act -- that was aimed at "club drugs" like Ecstasy.

The earlier version targeting drugs found at raves, concerts and other venues frequented by young people failed to pass Congress last year after complaints that the bill unfairly painted all raves and concerts as havens for illegal drug use.

The renamed "Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act" bill was modified to take out its original focus on raves and amended to the Amber Alert bill.

Opponents say broadening the focus makes the bill far more dangerous -- putting at risk of federal prosecution the promoters of rock concerts, nightclubs, even Dodgers games.

"You will start seeing a hesitancy by promoters to put themselves at risk," said Harvey Kubernik, a Sherman Oaks record producer and concert promoter.

"You can almost see a chilling effect on shows, especially the kids of baby boomers. This has to make some people think twice about entering the music game."

Roy Trakin, senior editor of Hits Magazine, a music trade publication based in Sherman Oaks, said the law would affect many large gatherings.

"It's going to be difficult for (a promoter) to get insurance, to police," he said. "It raises a whole load of issues -- not just raves, but rock concerts, baseball and football games are at risk."

Concert promoters from Clear Channel Entertainment, Los Angeles, and Nederlander Concerts, which promotes shows at Staples Center and the Greek Theater, declined to comment on the bill.

The legislation is based on the federal "crack house" statute, which allows prosecution of people who knowingly allow their private residences or businesses to be used for the buying and selling of drugs.

The new provision would expand the statute to include places rented for temporary or one-time events like concerts or raves.

People convicted under the law would face prison terms or civil fines of up to $250,000 or twice the gross revenue of their particular event.

Los Angeles rave promoter Joey Luu of AMP Media said one effect of the law could be to weed out unscrupulous rave promoters who sell drugs at their events.

"This isn't going to affect us whatsoever," he said. "I think this will eliminate those fake promoters from the rest of us."

Lawmakers who supported the popular Amber Alerts package said they understood the concerns.

"Business owners have come to Congress and told us there are only so many steps they can take to prevent any of the thousands of people who may attend a concert or a rave from using drugs," said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"They are worried about being held personally accountable for the illegal acts of others. ... Those concerns may well be overstated, but they deserve a fuller hearing."

The office of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a co-sponsor of the bill, did not return a call for comment Wednesday.

Any Promoter!!! Club, events, HipHop, classical!

Why they are trying to say is. We find drug use at ur party, we shut u down.

easy as that.

The bill is on the presidents desk waiting to be signed and converted to a law. With the war fading out, he may be passed very soon.

This Bill has been in the seesaw for over 4 years now.

Originally posted by sobe2003

President signed this yesterday (March 30, 2003).

Means that any club owner or promoter can be arrested if drugs are found on the property.

The Police will be out this weekend - be careful all.

:mad: There goes our freedom...

Basically they just wanna put everyone in jail for any reason. Just do us the favor and :blown:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by georgeacasta2

I hope they catch saleen with weed at tempts so they can close it down.

only club i've ever smoked weed in was space.. And maybe next time i'll get caugth and i'll have to share a cell with spaciious, and i can give him my clubbing expertise..

DOES THIS MEAN THERE WILL BE COPS AT THE ENTRANCE OF EVERY CLUB DOING PAT DOWNS???

OR WILL THEY HAVE MORE UNDERCOVERS INSIDE OUR CLUBS??

PITFUL TO SAY BUT THIS INDEED MAY HAPPEN....

Originally posted by sobe2003

President signed this yesterday (March 30, 2003).

Means that any club owner or promoter can be arrested if drugs are found on the property.

The Police will be out this weekend - be careful all.

NOT TO SOUND LIKE A SMART ASS... BUT YESTERDAY WAS APRIL 30, 2003....:tongue:

This has been on the board a couple of times. In the law it self states "knowing or for the sole purpose" so there is a lot of room to manuver. Even though I disagree with the bill (wrote my senators three times and my representative once) it is not as broad as the original but still sucks. However clubs will need to stop turning the blind eye to drug use and start kicking people out and not allow back packs into clubs. Also it would need to be enforced which it will out of conveinance or for political motives. But it does suck and is not the first time congress has wiped their ass with the US constitution and the bill or rights and will continue to happen because are appathetic until it effects them.

I know this did not get any media coverage, but honestly do you think media coverage wuould have helped? The media is a propaganda machine and would have twisted this into some great anti-drug act and would have managed to clammer more public support because people take whatever CNN or the local news tells them as fact and are too stupid, naive, and lazy to figure out the whole story themselves. THis reason alone I am happy it did not get covered for it would have been a harder up hill battle for those of us who actually understand waht is going.

In closing this legislation sucks but has a few holes in it to escape liability and with clubs taking proper precautions they can further protect themselves. First time used though it will go straight to the supreme court no doubt.

Originally posted by mjm420

DOES THIS MEAN THERE WILL BE COPS AT THE ENTRANCE OF EVERY CLUB DOING PAT DOWNS???

OR WILL THEY HAVE MORE UNDERCOVERS INSIDE OUR CLUBS??

PITFUL TO SAY BUT THIS INDEED MAY HAPPEN....

naw, why pat down people at the door?

Just find one person on drugs, or with drugs.

SHUT DOWN THE WHOLE CLUB! ;)

Pat downs are waste of time

why throw pebbles, when u can tos a big ass rock

This from another message board ... don't endorse anything said by Mr. Nadelmann ... but believe is important information for those who care about this law ...

=================================

Dear Friends and Supporters,

Today, President Bush signed the RAVE Act into law. Although it's a sad day for American freedom, I am also proud. I'm proud to be part of the thousands of people who, like you, came together to oppose the RAVE Act. I'm proud that your opposition made waves on Capitol Hill - waves that are seldom felt in Washington when it comes to draconian drug war bills.

The RAVE Act's sponsor, Senator Biden, angrily deplored the fact that his bill faced "fierce resistance." He then denounced Drug Policy Alliance in the official Congressional Record. Senator Leahy, one of two original co-sponsors of the RAVE Act that you helped turn against the bill, told reporters the RAVE Act faced "serious grass-roots opposition."

"Fierce resistance"? "Serious grass-roots opposition"? I like that

and I've got one thing to say.

We've just begun to fight, Senator Biden!!!!

With your support, we will take on Attorney General John Ashcroft and the DEA every time they use the RAVE Act to try to shut down electronic dance events, raves, rock and hip hop concerts, hemp festivals, circuit parties, and other events. We will organize

thousands of people to oppose this new government intrusion. We will launch an aggressive and relentless lobbying campaign to repeal the RAVE Act.

To do it, we need your help. This campaign costs real money. Contributions from people like you help us pay for lobbyists,

grassroots organizing, and all the faxes we send to Congressional offices. If everyone on our 43,000 subscriber e-mail list gave us just $10 we would have what we need to repeal the RAVE Act. If you're willing to pay more than $10 to see your favorite shows, wouldn't you be willing to give at least $10 to protect them?

Will you commit to this fight and help us overturn this bad legislation? Since not everyone will be able to help us out, we ask that you consider giving $20 or more. Please donate $10, $20, $50, $100, $500, $1,000 or whatever you can afford at:

/secure.ga3.org/05/raveact

If you're not convinced let us tell you one last thing. There's an iron law in Washington -- the more members you have, the more ppoliticians listen. Because many of you have already taken action against the RAVE Act, if you donate $10 or more we will take you a member of the Alliance. That's $25 less than our regular dues and it will help us become even more effective!

The Drug Policy Alliance is committed to changing how our nation

deals with drugs and drug abuse. We believe that people who use drugs and do no harm to others are no business of the state. We believe that people who have problems with drugs deserve help, not punishment. We believe that people who hurt others should be brought to justice, whether or not they are under the influence of drugs. We believe, in short, in freedom, compassion, and responsibility.

To reach that point we need more people like you to step forward with action and financial support. Please respond today!

Sincerely,

Ethan Nadelmann

Executive Director

==================================

I won't even comment this with those happy this law is in action ... all I can say is ... IT IS A SAD :( ... SAD :( DAY for all of us who like to attend clubs ... and for which we are being thrown in the same bag as those who make a living from selling illicit drugs ... or who are so pathetic as to make public their actions ...

I would like to see some club owners suing and pressing charges on those violating the law and putting THEIR businesses in jeapardy ...