Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is every human life equal?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/comment/0,10551,950384,00.html

The meaning of life

Justice, peace and prosperity will never be achieved in the Middle East until governments and the media learn to value all human lives equally, writes Anas Altikriti

Tuesday May 6, 2003

The news that two British Muslim men from Asian origin were involved in a fatal attack on a Tel Aviv bar last week made huge headlines in Britain.

But which part of this story is supposed to be the main issue? Is it that the attack, which left four people dead and several others injured, was another "suicide bombing"? Or that the alleged perpetrators were British?

Or that they were Muslims? Or that they were from Asian - usually code for Pakistani - origin? Or that one had been studying Arabic in Syria? Or was it all the of the above?

Someone I asked retorted angrily: "It's because innocent people were killed." Yes, but excuse my lack of compassion; what's new about that? 12 innocent Palestinians were killed the very next day in an Israeli missile attack on a refugee camp in Gaza.

More than 1,000 innocent Iraqis have been killed over the past four weeks and many more continue to fall every single day at the hands of coalition forces.

Dozens of innocent Kashmiris were slaughtered a few weeks ago by Indian forces. Why is it that this particular incident managed to jump straight to the front of the queue and attract angry statements of condemnation and commitments to do something from very important people around the world?

We have a considerable problem with the manner in which we are fed news of death, bloodshed and killings.

There can be very little doubt that the media, as well as the government, do not consider each and every human life equal.

Some may consider this a cynical statement to make, but think about it. Why did the world weep with burning tears for the victims of 9-11, but scarcely bat an eyelid for the 650,000 children who died a slow and miserable death in Iraq over the course of 10 years as a direct result of sanctions enforced by our own Royal Air Force?

Why didn't the world observe a minute's silence for the thousands of innocents killed - we still do not know how many - in Afghanistan.

Why did the three Israeli victims of last Wednesday's attack deserve an official visit from a foreign ministry delegate (who laid a wreath in their memory and spoke with a broken heart of the determination of Britain to cooperate fully with the Israeli investigation) while no mention was made of the dozen who were killed a few hours later in the shanty town of Rafah?

To change the theme slightly, how come the entire world is being forced into a state of panic over the Sars virus that has killed almost 250 people over the past four weeks, when it neglects the epidemic of Malaria that claims the lives of more than 3,000 people every single day - would it be because Malaria runs wild in unattractive countries which we don't really consider when planning our holidays?

One may be excused for feeling that the terms "hypocrisy" and "double standards" are grossly over-used, but few can question their validity in the case of our government or in the case of some sectors of the British media when it comes to the real worth of a human life.

With the story at the top of news bulletins, all of a sudden, the spotlight was back on British Muslims, who were preparing to go to the polling stations throughout the country to show their despair and frustration with those who continued to disregard this hard-working, greatly disciplined, dedicated and compassionate sector of British society.

The issue of a few British youngsters going to fight for "foreign" causes was described as unacceptable, dangerous, a demonstration of split loyalties and of serious concern. One fails to recall similar phrases used in the case of hundreds of British Jews who regularly go to serve in the Israeli reserve army.

In an instant, the pressure was back on the newly appointed Palestinian prime minister, Mahmoud Abbas, and his cabinet to "deliver" security to Israel. The "road map to peace" couldn't be clearer in the eyes of its creators: Israelis were more important than Palestinians and therefore the latter had to fulfil what is literally impossible in order to deliver to the former what is in effect beyond their means. If anything has been learnt from the recent war on Iraq, it is that neither security nor democracy can be imposed by force. Doing so means the absence of both.

The world has to decide whether it truly wants justice, peace and prosperity for people around the world. If they do, then they have to come in a package.

It would be impossible to presume the prevalence of peace, when injustices are rife, nor can prosperity be brought about when a state of insecurity and fear is dominant.

What is absolutely clear is that none of the above can be achieved if governments and the media continue treating human lives with contempt and evaluating them at fluctuating levels.

In literature: Yes

In Politics: Yes, if it serves a purpose

In the Media: Of Course Yes, and we'll consult "experts" to prove it.

In the Middle East: Of course not. Jews are lesser humans.

In China: On paper, every life is the same, except for government officials.

In Africa: Human lives even have value? If so, let's sell them for profit.

In the US: Yes and if you say no, prepare to watch protests happen in front of your door.

everybody sees a different angle.

Originally posted by cintron

In the Middle East: Of course not. Jews are lesser humans.

From all thats been going on so far, I would have to disagree.

In Israel: Of course not. Palestinians aren't considered humans, just animals to be butchered slowly.

and the other way around: Israelis are just animals to be killed whenever possible.

Basic point being: in the Middle East, too many people are still too prejudiced to understand a damn thing about life or peace.

and the other way around: Israelis are just animals to be killed whenever possible.

Basic point being: in the Middle East, too many people are still too prejudiced to understand a damn thing about life or peace.

not true.

jews had more rights living in the ottoman empire than they did living in western europe. get your facts straight :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sassa

not true.

jews had more rights living in the ottoman empire than they did living in western europe. get your facts straight :rolleyes:

uh huh.

please hold, while I pretend to write something that I consider to be the gospel truth, then hang on as I include the obligatory ":rolleyes:" just so i can show my disdain for your blatant stupidity.

seriously Sassa. get off your high horse. it's growing really old.

uh huh.

please hold, while I pretend to write something that I consider to be the gospel truth, then hang on as I include the obligatory ":rolleyes:" just so i can show my disdain for your blatant stupidity.

you are an asshole :blown::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

uh huh.

What a nice way to prove someone wrong when it's YOU who cannot back up your claim you pussy. All you did was prove her right once again like a good kkkonservanazi should.

Sassa is right about the ottoman era.

It's time you do some RESEARCH, though that word and performing it's action is too complicated for a kkkonservanazi who only thinks with his penis while his brain sits on idle taking up space. Oh wait a minute... konservanazis have no brain... just air taking up it's space.

Once again, you continue to prove yourself unworthy of an upgrade from pussy to human so continue to accept what what I say you are. A pussy.

Originally posted by normalnoises

What a nice way to prove someone wrong when it's YOU who cannot back up your claim you pussy. All you did was prove her right once again like a good kkkonservanazi should.

Sassa is right about the ottoman era.

It's time you do some RESEARCH, though that word and performing it's action is too complicated for a kkkonservanazi who only thinks with his penis while his brain sits on idle taking up space. Oh wait a minute... konservanazis have no brain... just air taking up it's space.

Once again, you continue to prove yourself unworthy of an upgrade from pussy to human so continue to accept what what I say you are. A pussy.

well well well, if it isn't Mister "I wanna be a hardass massdebator too..."

kid, stop sucking yourself off so often. your deepthroat debate antics are really tiring.

try making a point instead of resorting to personal attacks.

without your Yahoo news posts, you're a waste of bandwidth.