Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hiccups

Hiccups, Chronic

Important

It is possible that the main title of the report Hiccups, Chronic is not the name you expected. Please check the synonyms listing to find the alternate name(s) and disorder subdivision(s) covered by this report.

Synonyms

Hiccough, Chronic

Hiccups, Persistent

Intractable Hiccups

Singultus, Intractable

Disorder Subdivisions

None

General Discussion

Chronic hiccups last for hours or days, or they recur very often with only a few hours relief between spasms. The persistence of hiccups may indicate a serious illness. Some of the illnesses that include persistent hiccups as a symptom are: pleurisy of the diaphragm, pneumonia, uremia, alcoholism, disorders of the stomach or esophagus, and bowel diseases. Hiccups may also be associated with pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritation, liver cancer or hepatitis. Surgery, tumors, and lesions may also cause persistent hiccups.

Hiccups

Mary Poppins should feel vindicated: A spoonful of sugar does more than make the medicine go down. It also can stop hiccups, says Gary Gitnick, MD, chief of the division of digestive diseases at the University of California at Los Angeles and author of Freedom from Digestive Distress. "It helps," he says. "There is a reflex arc [that] traverses the back of the throat and anything that interrupts it will stop hiccups including a teaspoon of granulated sugar," he says. The "boo! cure" works, too, he says. When you are scared, you gasp, which also interrupts the arc and stops hiccups, he says.

This trick has ALWAYS worked for me and my friends:

get a glass of water

stand over the sink

tilt your head forward and drink from the glass as you are looking at your chest

gulp it using your front lips , like you're upside down, and that should work.

:updown:

my most successful method used to be to hang upside down in a chair and sing "mary had a little lamb" three times in a roq without hiccuping. once i did that, the hiccups'd be gone.

once, when i was employed as the legal librarian at a law firm, i closed the door to the library (which had no lock) and tried to do this. someone opened the door and caught me, just looked, and immediately shut the door and walked away. i felt kinda silly, but i already had a reputation as the silly one at that office, anyway :goofy: :D .

but now i've actually had success with holding my breath as long as possible. and when i say "as long as possible," i mean longer than you think you can stand. that's the key.

Originally posted by rdancer

Hiccups, Chronic

General Discussion

Chronic hiccups last for hours or days, or they recur very often with only a few hours relief between spasms. The persistence of hiccups may indicate a serious illness. Some of the illnesses that include persistent hiccups as a symptom are: pleurisy of the diaphragm, pneumonia, uremia, alcoholism, disorders of the stomach or esophagus, and bowel diseases. Hiccups may also be associated with pancreatitis, pregnancy, bladder irritation, liver cancer or hepatitis. Surgery, tumors, and lesions may also cause persistent hiccups.

I don't like this general discussion.. :worry: