Clubplanet Nightlife Community

where is a good starter home/ towhhouse neighborhood?

Orisha

I live in Miami, and know L.A. fairly well, but not the specific neighborhoods that are inhabited by people who are fixing up their property, making it look nice, but a place where you can still get a home/townhome at a good price... where can I find places like that?...where do I start? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

I'm kind of looking on the north end of the city or farther north, past the canyons, but am open to orange county

:type:

If you're into the LA scene, I <i>really</i> doubt you want to live in OC for the following reasons:

-OC is DULLSVILLE. Ok, there are some hip places like Irvine Spectrum and the beaches. But selection is limited

-OC is far from LA, even without traffic.

-Housing prices are ridiculously inflated, especially Irvine and surrounding areas like Tustin, Costa Mesa. General rule of thumb though: further from the beach, cheaper the price.

But like LALate said, its all about the benjamins $$$

LOL...haha..yeah, OC is more of a family oriented community. The predominant population age is young kids and old folkies. With some of the mid 20-30 yr olds from the tech boom of the 90s. But it is much safer and cleaner than LA. Anothe gripe about Irvine - its just damn huge. This really creates an inconvenience, IMO. :mad:

thx everyone...Orange county is a last resort, plus I will be working in the burbank/century city area, so north might be the practical choice. I saw some small cities north of the valley, which IS way out of the way, but at least I won't have to drive across the city that never ends. I'm looking for a condo or townhome at this point because my range is around 150,000 - 200,000 (maybe a little more, but not much), 2 bed, 2 bath in a decent neighborhood that I can go jogging in during the day at least! The chances of finding a home in that range that's NOT in compton is nil, isn't it?

what do you think of:

Pasedena

Monorovia

Glendora

If I had it my way, it would be by the beach or in west hollywood, but SO expensive...it was depressing looking at the prices for that area..

Again, THANKS! I'm taking notes...

I'd say go for Pasadena. Its a quaint, and well maintained community. Plus its not too far of a drive from LA. But certain parts of Pasadena are pretty prestigious as well (especially the community where the Ritz is nestled in) So housing around there may be a bit high. Monrovia is next to Pasadent, but the diff is night and day. Dont know much about Glendora. Is that a nick name for Glendale? hehe...

So yeah, I'd go for a place in Pasadena if possible...

Originally posted by tequiza

Dont know much about Glendora. Is that a nick name for Glendale? hehe...

So yeah, I'd go for a place in Pasadena if possible...

thanks...Glendora is on the right side of this map...too far west?

Originally posted by diabolique007

yeah, I'll have to take a research trip ..LOL....can I assume there is a transit system I can use? -like the B.A.R.T. in S.F...?

Public transit? In LA? I guess they have the subway in downtown, but that's pretty useless... There are always buses! I don't know anyone in LA that doesn't have a car... Everything is so spread out you pretty much have to.

Originally posted by lostin310

Public transit? In LA? I guess they have the subway in downtown, but that's pretty useless... There are always buses! I don't know anyone in LA that doesn't have a car... Everything is so spread out you pretty much have to.

I didn't recall seeing one on my trips there...what a joke...one of the biggest cities in the country and they use only buses to get around..:rolleyes: NO biggie, I just HATE rush hour, but am willing to deal with it if I want a nicer place... I can see this is going to be a challenge! I looked up foreclosures, but Compton is not an option LMAO!! Where are the gay neighborhhods, besides west hollywood? Those neighborhoods are always being improved...

Apparently there are some really good deals to be had in Silverlake, but it's this little pocket surrounded by the ghetto. I had a gay friend who lived up there, and he had several other gay friends that lived up there. All had remodeled their places so the area is getting better. Plus, it's close to all the nightlife.

the public transit in and around l.a. isn't entirely useless; i have a friend who lives in the city of orange (that's in orange county :tongue: ) who doesn't have a car, and he manages to get to work and to go out to play pretty well. one just has to know the schedules of trains, buses, and the subway and what meets up with what. he does live a couple of blocks from a train station and his work is a few blocks from one too, though, so he's got it kinda easy.

do you have to be around LA? if not, i would suggest you check out san diego county. it's way more beautiful than LA and i believe the average price for a home right now is $400K. California real estate averages jumped 14% as of this year....it's getting a bit more difficult nowadays to find prime real estate. Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, Encinitas, La Jolla...great places to live in.

As for LA area........have you checked out even places closer to Ventura? It's not too bad up there also...and I believe only around 40 minutes to LA.......you'll get the same with Orange County too, especially if you live closer to Anaheim area...

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding? WELL OF COURSE I WANNA LIVE IN SAN DEIGO!! :D Believe me, if it wasn't for the fact that I may have to work in LA, I would move to somewhere near La Jolla, where some extended family lives (my childhood bf and family of hippies :tongue: )

I really appreciate everyone's input, esp LaLate, much thanks...I will be doing my homewerk!

you all have open invitations to my house party waaaaaaay off in the future! Mark your calanders...um...Fall of 2004? LOL-chuckle-LOL