Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is HOUSE MUSIC dying???

its simple math kids...

club owners make more money when they switch to hip-hop because the crowd is willing to pay over $10 a drink for top shelf liquor - compared to the $4 water bottles sold to the house fans(half of which get refilled in the bathroom!). not to mention the less expensive covers attract a larger crowd to begin with...a crowd that spends regardless of the economy...ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLASHIN' THE CASH.

HOUSE MUSIC WILL NEVER DIE!

Originally posted by purplephotons

its simple math kids...

club owners make more money when they switch to hip-hop because the crowd is willing to pay over $10 a drink for top shelf liquor - compared to the $4 water bottles sold to the house fans(half of which get refilled in the bathroom!). not to mention the less expensive covers attract a larger crowd to begin with...a crowd that spends regardless of the economy...ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLASHIN' THE CASH.

HOUSE MUSIC WILL NEVER DIE!

house music also attracts a much more niche audience. not everybody likes house music, hell most people don't even know what it is. EVERYBODY has heard hip hop, and there's millions upon millions of masses that will go out to hear it. By switching to hiphop, you're greatly increasing your target audience.

i think NYC needs a bit more variety with its house music

it seems that DT, Howells, Saaed & Palash, and Deep Dish absorb the most hype here

how about regular appearances by Rui Da Silva (sp), Lottie, John Creamer & Stephane K, Roger Sanchez, etc?

and why can't Satoshi get a weekend party?

I support RICK CORBO who is a LOCAL dj and a RESIDENT DJ at websterhall for 4yrs now althogh he was gone for a few months but hes been back since feb i believe. Sometimes after WEBSTERHALL i go to SHELTER for DJ TIMMY REGIFIELD but since i started working weekends things have changed a bit. I support DANNY TENAGLIA at ARC hes a local dj who is also INTERNATIONAL. (THANK GOD HES NOT LEAVING THIS SUMMER,AND I WILL SEE HIM AT CPIS ON JULY 3RD). I support the djs at CHEETAH (the house ones of course). DJ MERRIT and other various ones that play with him. When the DEF MX and SUBLIMINAl nights are at DISCOTHEQUE im there cause cmon DAVID MORALES AND ERICK MORILLO are there (do i even have to explain). So my nights are busy thur, fri, sat, sun. I dont knowwhat else i can do to keep supporting HOUSE MUSIC in NYC.

I think that music goes through a phase, like everything else. Many years ago I was mostly into hiphop/rap/reggae. Then all of the sudden, that music seemed "played out" to me and House music was all I was interested in..Now although I still love house music, I noticed that HipHop, etc. is what I prefer to listen to, maybe because it's broadcasted more and more familiar to my ear...It'll be more popular everywhere again before you know it...

House Music has no face! No personality to represent it.

Erick Morillo is seen all over MTV UK at the dance festivals. Anyone who has seen him live knows, not only is he probably the best DJ around, but he works the crowd like a champion. He is having a great time in the DJ Box and people respond to that. Would love to see Erick reporting live from the upcoming festival in Central Park w/ PvD.

Give Sway and the fat rocker guy the day off and give house the forum for a second.

Someone like him could be the best thing for House in the US. I also think he should take a greater interest in supporting the culture here in America as well.

Bring back club MTV... people watch it for the girls in next to nothing... right? The music is secondary. Use sex to sell the music, it works for hip-hop right?

I also think on a radio level and commerical level you need to embrace a different type of music here in NY. A lot of the dance music played in NY on radio is very NY specific.

I think if there was a little less "cheese" as you would say on the radio and guys like the Riddler took a chance on a record... things might be a little bit better. There are is a lot of payola here in the US (skirted around legally by the use of what is called "indies").

Face it, the public is sheep and whatever is played on the radio people are going to like... on the whole. So if we could force feed them some credible and incredible dance tracks you would see a dance become more mainstream.

It is a combination of factors, but broadcasting Juniorverse is not where you start.

Do you really want a 50+ yr old guy telling you what is hot?

Get Louie Devito off the air! You got lucky someone fucked up and licensed you the Mel C. track. You owe your life to a Spice Girl!

As for Riddler... good guy, but think for yourself and don't play it so safe.

Skribble out RSL, Skribble in RELEASE YOURSELF radio... SANCHEZ!!!!!

Keep Skribble around... he's good for the music!

And clear channel, reach into your pockets and pay for the Essential Mix... New York deserves a show like that!!!!!!!

Cheers,

EvanScott

house music will always be here. It will not change or bend. It has always stood here and will stand here after you pass. It is not the music that has changed, it is you that has changed. House music is timeless so it will pass the test of time.

The afro-centric nature of the US naturally makes ppl gravitate towards hip hop. It is in our culture. The anglo and afro, rock and hip hop. It will always be this way.