Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What's in a name? Lots if Ian Schrager owns it...

DaVe

Interesting article...

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but Ian Schrager wasn't flattered. When a gift shop right across from his Delano hotel in South Beach named itself the Delano Art Gallerie, the hip hotelier sued. His company had trademarked the name Delano in 1997.

Also talks about him suing Skky Lounge.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6103610.htm

he should have never been granted the trademark. Delano is a common name, including the middle name of a former president of the United States. imo the guy should have renamed his shop Delano's Art Gallerie , and told Ian to go f*ck himself.

I didn't know about the art gallery, but I remember the ads for the Skky lounge and I knew instantly that they were gonna get sued. In fact, if I remember correctly, they opened or at least advertised the Skky lounge before Skybar opened at the Shore Club. I'm sure the litigation was based on knowledge of Schrager's Skybar at the LA Mondrian and that the one at the Shore Club was a long time coming. Still, the question is would anyone confuse the two places? Probably not, but because it's the same industry (nightlife), he did what he felt was appropriate to protect his asset. The courts would have ruled in Schrager's favor.

Ever wondered about the Ocean Drive stores? ... in Cocowalk ... recently closed in Ocean Drive and a few others in malls like West Palm and Sunset Place ...

same thing with a law suit between the mag and the owners ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest saleen351

there was a case where some broad owned a shop in Ireland and she sold muffins, however her last name was McDonalds, so she called the place, McDonalds. Well the fast food joint sued her ass, but i don't remember wha the outcome was. But i think the art gallery was in the wrong on this one....

like if a club called it's self Saleen's

i'd sue their ass:mad: