Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Oakenfold Review

Place was very crowded. I had about 4 drinks spilled on my shirt just trying to walk around. But I have to say I had a lot of fun. Music was good and I like how he moves around the booth and interacts with everyone. The only thing I did not like was to see a lot of people standing around just staring at him like he is a god. Thank you to centro for having him spin for more than 2 hours for only 20 bucks. What did the rest of you think?

did he do the "open arms" pose about 25 times? classic oakie, gotta love the guy. i wasnt there but i bet he was putting his arms over the centro dj booth and it probably looked similar to a U.N. aid package handout to 3rd world villagers.

Thats cool he spun for longer than two hours. Any one have a tracklist/ recognize any tracks? (I'm sure)

it was a pretty good show - though crowded as hell between 1 (when I came) and 3 - after that it got comfortable (much less crowded).

I stayed till 5:30.

slashone: funny you mentioned those zombies - I was dancing hard, close to the DJ booth and at one point when he reached over I shook his hand. pretty cool, but I am far from regading DJs as gods (as some do) ;) (this one girl there was just tripping so hard - I wonder if she remembers anything today).

Originally posted by kitty19

a friend of mine tried getting in at the peak times and they were charging $150 to get in?! haha for him? :laugh:

I feel sorry for anyone that had to pay $150 to see that excuse for a DJ spin. Last nite was the first and last time I will ever see him. Absolutely horrible mixing style - basically just faded tracks into each other and cut several short - never really overlapped beats at all or just for a measure or two - Tracks were pretty good but no flow to his set at all. Digweed the night before put him to shame. I heard his set from Homelands last month and it actually seemed really good which is why I was disgusted with his set last night. I can't believe this guy is the highest or one of the highest paid DJ's there is.

-Trancer :unhappy:

Originally posted by trancer70

I can't believe this guy is the highest or one of the highest paid DJ's there is.

was it packed?

duhh.. theres your answer.

believe it or not, everybody has once heard of "Oakenfold", whether your involved with the club scene or not. it all makes sense.

Originally posted by goodfridays

was it packed?

duhh.. theres your answer.

believe it or not, everybody has once heard of "Oakenfold", whether your involved with the club scene or not. it all makes sense.

Yeah but just because he has the power to draw people doesn't make him a good DJ - I'm not arguing that people haven't heard of him or know his music - He's been making tracks and remixing since the late 80's/early 90's - I think a lot of his tracks and remixes are great but he is way better in the studio and it is obvious that name recognition alone will bring people out to see him

-Trancer:rolleyes:

Originally posted by kitty19

a friend of mine tried getting in at the peak times and they were charging $150 to get in?! haha for him? :laugh:

You think thats bad, check this story out from a fan who wrote a letter in to Oakie, if this is true I feel really bad for this guy on blowing almost a couple $1000 just to see him. Though I question if this crap is even true, but also you have to take in consideration Oakies following abroad.

"Dear sir/madam, Firstly i would like to thank you all at Gatecrasher for giving me the best night of my life! What started off as the most expensive nightmare off all time turned good in the end! I was travelling to London on friday 30th May to see Paul Oakenfold play at Heaven. Me, my girlfriend and 2 other friends set off from where we live, Fort William (550 miles from London). The plan was simple, drive to Glasgow, get the 13:40 train from glasgow to euston, go to Heaven for a top night and get the 07:55 train from euston back to glasgow, then there was just the 105 mile drive back to fort william. Easy!

HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!!!!!!

The 13:40 train was cancelled! no problem, there was one at 15:36, we would get that and still make it on time. That train broke down at Killmarnock! We were still there at 18:40, virgin were sending another engine from glasgow to take the train to london, estamated time of arrival in london, 02:30 if we were lucky! We decided to get off the train at Killmarnock and go back to glasgow for a night out. I was not a happy bunny!!!!!! I wanted to see Oakey! I new he was only playing a few dates in the uk this year and i wanted to see all off them. I drove the 1100 mile round trip just to see him at Homelands the week before, i wasnt going to let virgin trains spoil this one.

I told the others that i would pay for flights if they were up for going, we went for it. We got a taxi from Killmarnock to Glasgow, on the way i phoned Glasgow airport and enquired about 4 flights. There was a flight at 20:35 to heathrow but the return flight was from gatwick, that was ok, i asked how much, £731 for the 4 flights........I thought f**k it, am not missing this night! i booked the flights and got there with 10 mins to spare. We arrived at heathrow just before 10 o'clock, got washed and changed at the airport when my girlfriend informed me that she burst the zip in her black knee high boots. Nightmare! i decided to put the bags in left luggage and try and sort something on the way. When we were putting the bags away i spotted black flight socks, so i cut the toes off and put them over the top of the boots. Couldnt even tell they were on, result! It was now 23:10, still at heathrow, i wasnt sure if we would get entry into the club after midnight. The taxi driver at heathrow said it would take 40 mins to get there, we would make it! We just got passed Trafalger square when THE TAXI BROKE DOWN!!!!! I was ready to cry!! He got us a another taxi and we got there at 23:55. At f**kin last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where my night turned good! I had 2 spare tickets and asked someone at the door if they could help me get rid of them, i got full price for them and i thanked him for the only good thing that has happend to me that day. He asked me why, and i told him my nightmare jouney from hell. He turned out to be the manager of the club, and gave us V.I.P. passes for the club since we had such a nightmare. When we were in the v.i.p.bar he saw me and introduced me to the Gatecrasher promoter! He thanked me for making such an effort and took time to talk to me for a while. I was well chuffed! I then went through to the main room to watch the man himself, the reason i made the effort, Oakey was superb!!!!"

Its kinda funny they actually put this on his site too considering how outlandish it really is when you think about it.

Originally posted by carsonmartin

You think thats bad, check this story out from a fan who wrote a letter in to Oakie, if this is true I feel really bad for this guy on blowing almost a couple $1000 just to see him. Though I question if this crap is even true, but also you have to take in consideration Oakies following abroad.

"Dear sir/madam, Firstly i would like to thank you all at Gatecrasher for giving me the best night of my life! What started off as the most expensive nightmare off all time turned good in the end! I was travelling to London on friday 30th May to see Paul Oakenfold play at Heaven. Me, my girlfriend and 2 other friends set off from where we live, Fort William (550 miles from London). The plan was simple, drive to Glasgow, get the 13:40 train from glasgow to euston, go to Heaven for a top night and get the 07:55 train from euston back to glasgow, then there was just the 105 mile drive back to fort william. Easy!

HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!!!!!!

The 13:40 train was cancelled! no problem, there was one at 15:36, we would get that and still make it on time. That train broke down at Killmarnock! We were still there at 18:40, virgin were sending another engine from glasgow to take the train to london, estamated time of arrival in london, 02:30 if we were lucky! We decided to get off the train at Killmarnock and go back to glasgow for a night out. I was not a happy bunny!!!!!! I wanted to see Oakey! I new he was only playing a few dates in the uk this year and i wanted to see all off them. I drove the 1100 mile round trip just to see him at Homelands the week before, i wasnt going to let virgin trains spoil this one.

I told the others that i would pay for flights if they were up for going, we went for it. We got a taxi from Killmarnock to Glasgow, on the way i phoned Glasgow airport and enquired about 4 flights. There was a flight at 20:35 to heathrow but the return flight was from gatwick, that was ok, i asked how much, £731 for the 4 flights........I thought f**k it, am not missing this night! i booked the flights and got there with 10 mins to spare. We arrived at heathrow just before 10 o'clock, got washed and changed at the airport when my girlfriend informed me that she burst the zip in her black knee high boots. Nightmare! i decided to put the bags in left luggage and try and sort something on the way. When we were putting the bags away i spotted black flight socks, so i cut the toes off and put them over the top of the boots. Couldnt even tell they were on, result! It was now 23:10, still at heathrow, i wasnt sure if we would get entry into the club after midnight. The taxi driver at heathrow said it would take 40 mins to get there, we would make it! We just got passed Trafalger square when THE TAXI BROKE DOWN!!!!! I was ready to cry!! He got us a another taxi and we got there at 23:55. At f**kin last!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where my night turned good! I had 2 spare tickets and asked someone at the door if they could help me get rid of them, i got full price for them and i thanked him for the only good thing that has happend to me that day. He asked me why, and i told him my nightmare jouney from hell. He turned out to be the manager of the club, and gave us V.I.P. passes for the club since we had such a nightmare. When we were in the v.i.p.bar he saw me and introduced me to the Gatecrasher promoter! He thanked me for making such an effort and took time to talk to me for a while. I was well chuffed! I then went through to the main room to watch the man himself, the reason i made the effort, Oakey was superb!!!!"

Its kinda funny they actually put this on his site too considering how outlandish it really is when you think about it.

Him and his freinds were taken cared from Perfeto Records..

I heard OAKEY spin on the radio Thursday night and I gotta say DAMN!!!, he was spinning some hard trance..

Victor Soto

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by slashone

Place was very crowded. I had about 4 drinks spilled on my shirt just trying to walk around. But I have to say I had a lot of fun. Music was good and I like how he moves around the booth and interacts with everyone. The only thing I did not like was to see a lot of people standing around just staring at him like he is a god. Thank you to centro for having him spin for more than 2 hours for only 20 bucks. What did the rest of you think?

Excuse me..

When and where was this?

Plz tell...

I feel like I am going to panic..

:confused: :confused: :confused: