Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Guess this symptom ???

Ok here it goes... winner takes home the bacon

At the AutoX today a guy i know in a 914 came through a decreasing distance slalom which leads into the finish. They set it up in a decreasing fashion to slow people down... well it sent numerous people spinning out of control and some into the timing equipment.. Oops.. Anyway, so he does a 180 and moves backwards a few feet, a bunch of tire smoke. The engine is still running but sounds like absolute crap... severe misfire, very very low rpm ~100 or so.

I ran over to help him out and noticed the intake blew off. No oil, no visible leaks, transmission shifts fine. He hit the clutch after the spin.

What happened?? :confused:

could've had a backfire out the intake valves. That's happened to me on occcasion.

Either way with the intake off, if he has some sort of air metering system and its seperated after the meter, there's reason #1 why it's idling like shit.

Originally posted by barslut

He doest do cones just track shit , Im assuming the 914 is cis injection , aka the devil , i can run it by one of the mechanics at the dealer and see what they say. Did you go to the auto x last friday at nassau?

Gotcha....

No, I know what happened.... this is kind of like a thread a while back... pictures of car parts and u had to guess what is it. Except this time you have to guess what caused these symptoms.

CIS didn't come out till a few years later. The 914s were all fuel injected with either D-Jet or L-Jet.

HINT: Immediately after the spin the owner claims something with the shifter got messed up because upon slipping the cluch in 1st gear the car started moving in reverse.

Originally posted by teklord310

Expected....

So are u going to come over so we can swap fluids? :confused:

haha, but you have to admire my self control... i waited an entire day before throwing the obvious out there... ;)

i don't know, i have to buy the redline... i guess thats the mission for tomorrow or something... depending on how lazy i am...

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

For once I have to agree with Saleen......:rolleyes:

Hehehe, i guess it shows who is mechanically inclined and gives a shit.

Well for those who responded... you've probably never heard of this or seen this before, at least i haven't.

By not disengaging the clutch during the spin the car started rolling in backwards and spun the engine in reverse. So the engine was actually running backwards, intake through the exhaust and exhaust out the intake. The timing was completely out of wack, spark way after top dead center.. probably on the down stroke.

So that is the story. Enjoy@ :blown:

Hehehe, i guess it shows who is mechanically inclined and gives a shit.

Well for those who responded... you've probably never heard of this or seen this before, at least i haven't.

By not disengaging the clutch during the spin the car started rolling in backwards and spun the engine in reverse. So the engine was actually running backwards, intake through the exhaust and exhaust out the intake. The timing was completely out of wack, spark way after top dead center.. probably on the down stroke.

So that is the story. Enjoy@ :blown:

you suck and your whole story/theory sucks.

i have a cold air intake, and i was driving it thru the river and i noticed some water got into my intake and suck it up like a straw into my engine. so after that, i drove my car really hard to attempt to dry it off. now my car is idling very wierd and would shut off. i dunno what to do. btw : this is on a tiburan.

Guest saleen351

i still don't see how this is possible.. i spun my mustang out a thousand times... never a problem... those kraut cars are pieces of shit:idea:

umm...no. were you high when you wrote this?

Ok for the simple people...

Drive your car forward. It runs.

At the top of a hill put the car in 1st gear and let it roll down the hill backwards. The engine will spin backwards. Understand?

Ok let me rewrite this theory I had.

My theory is there's some part of his EFI system that didn't allow the EFI to stop firing when the motor stalled. [since the motor must stop spinning in order to spin in another direction].

If he has some sort of crank sensor or whatnot, perhaps this was the culprit. Regardless, my theory is that the motor somehow still fired the ignition off when the engine was moving backwards and the timing was massively off. It could have fired while there was still sufficient air/fuel in the cylinders to combust, and while the intake valves were open. The resulting pressure wave could have popped off the intake. Granted it's a 1 in 1000 shot that a motor will still fire after being stopped and spun backwards, but on a 70's porsche motor with fuel injection, nothing suprises me anymore.

My bet goes to:

Ignition misfire - fired when intake valves were open and timing was off due to whatever shitty Bosch system it was using.