Clubplanet Nightlife Community

James Zabiela - "Sound in Motion"

vipnerd

Released today ... :D :D :D

T/L:

CD One:

0. Intro

1. Edward Shearmur's - Taxi Ride (JZ DJ Re-edit)

2. Sunday Brunch - My World (Nightdrive Mix)

3. Earth Deuley - Spacial Gathering

4. Natural Rhythm - Your World

5. Sean Q6 - Out In The Shed

6. Lanoiraude - J.J. Scenario

7. Animated - Come On

8. Jigga-What Sleeping In

9. Echomen - Thru 2 You (Bushwacka! Remix)

10. Maffia Soundsystem - Fact Da Floor

11. Timmy S - He's In The Bar

12. ODD - Don't Look at Me (Paul Rogers Dub)

* Space Manoeuvres - Stage One (Accapella)

13. Bermuda Triangle - Tay Do 22

CD Two:

0. Intro

1. Simon & Levin Gone

2. Dave Robertson - Slang for Funky

3. The Silence - Acid Attac

4. PJ Davy - Call It What You Like

* Halo Varga Future

5. PJ Davy - Freezing Point (Dave Robertson Remix)

6. Aphasia Acapulco

7. Dave Brennan - Drink Deep (Zabiela's Vox Version)

* Buck meets Dub Theory 'Soun' Bwoy Vol. 1 (Dub Theory Outro)

8. Bushwacka! - Break your Face

9. Mr Negative - Star Spangled Banger - (Freestyleman Mix)

10. Ebon Sleepless 2 (Original Tribal Mix)

11. Ant - Process Cyan Min

12. Ficta - Eli

More info at: www.hoojchoons.co.uk/jz/

:hat:

This was taken from Hooj.com : James describing the mix he did on disc one of Sound in Motion:

0. Intro

This is me talking into my DJM600 over some weird sounds I'd prepared earlier (Blue Peter Style). I used the Echo and Hot Cues on the CDJ1000 to play in the different notes teasing in the melody of Edward Sheamur before letting it go into it's full glory and upping eq's and downing the effects.

1. Edward Sheamur 'Taxi Ride' (Universal)

To mix Sunday Brunch into this without first making a break loop to put over 'Taxi Ride' I would've not been able to mix this the way I did as the two records are totally out of key. So I mixed the Break loop (Which I made in Reson 2.5) over whilst killing the bottom frequency on 'Taxi Ride' then I applied the echo on the 1/2 setting eased it on to create a build up then slammed in the Sunday Brunch volume as the drums commence whilst instantly turning the echo timing back to 1, it's lowest setting which creates a phasing sound over the break loop. I adjust the timing throughout the mix to give different effects and occasionally using the beat/bar buttons create builds. All the time I'm fading out 'Taxi Ride' until it can be no longer heard. I hit pause on the break loop with echo on a 1/1 setting as 'My World' comes into it's first break down for a smooth transference.

2. Sunday Brunch 'My World' (Nightdrive Mix) (Svek)

This record isn't played on its own very much but the mix out stays quite subtle as it's only the mid range from the next track until the previous track breaks at the end and the other EQs are mixed in whilst the previous track is echoed out. This mix is totally out of key and becomes discordant but sounds quite mad. This mix would not have been possible without the effects. Thank you Pioneer!

3. Earth Deuley 'Spacial Gathering' (Unsigned CDR)

Subtle distortion effect acheived by having the panning effect on its lowest possible setting, it creeps in as a fill a couple of times.

4. Natural Rhythm 'Your World' (Dufflebag)

Mixed in as always with EQs. First mid then top and finally bottom as the previous track mixes out with the echo applied on a 1/1 setting as to overlay itself in a 4/4 time signature. I also use the echo effect as a fill throughout 'Your World' which creates a sweeping sound. Basically using the effect on an extremely low setting so the track is almost playing over itself to create the sweeping sound. I always take out some of the bottom end on these fills to keep the sound at the same level. On some of the fills I adjust the timing manually and slightly to get modulating sound. Also, I use the delays and the bass EQ alternately on the beats and hats to get mad fills that sound like drum edits (think double speed). This only really works when there isn't a bass line present or when the bass line is played in a very low key like on this record. A mix out again with EQs and echoes but changing the bar pace of the echoes to make drum rolls so I can introduce the next track.

5. Q6 'Out In The Shed' (Hallucination Ltd)

Using the CDJ1000 hot cues combined with the reverse feature and some of the phasing/ fill effects (as described before) on the DJM600, I hopped all around this tune quite randomly. It sounds a bit bananas and you may as well forget about the time signature! At the second breakdown I use the reverse toggles rapidly over a warble sound (you'll hear it!). Again I use the delays and the bass EQ alternately on the beats and hats to get mad fills that sound like drum edits, quite noticeable this time round. Sean Q6 is gonna kill me & so will Pioneer for breaking their CD player. Live remixing anyone? I did feel this complimented the mood of the track which is off the rails!

6. lanoiraude 'j.j scenario' (Missive)

After the mix echoes out, I mix back in the previous track in reverse (!) as additional percussion which ends at the breakdown. The mix out of this track is an echo combined with a deck stop so the slur sound you get when you stop a Technics carries on into the new track.

7. Animated 'Come On' (Deviant)

Now this is my favourite bit!!! Scratching with a CD!!! Okay, first off I make a loop out of a continuous sound (the classic scratch 'aaar!') It doesn't have to loop in time with the track as it's a continuous sound therefore not really having a start or an end. Then I set the effect timing to the track playing, switch it to the channel with the CD loop playing and hit the transform effect on its lowest preset. Taa daa! By scratching the CD back and forth I too can sound like a DMC champion. Alright! All the mucking around has left me no time to mix out so I used the sampler to loop the current track to give time for a nice long mix.

8. Jigga-What 'Sleeping In'

Over the break-beat in this tracks I try some real scratching whilst applying the echo effect to scratching so it blends into the track in time looping and fading out. Just-Feel-It (Repeat to Fade).

9. Echomen 'Thru 2 You' (Bushwacka! Remix) (Hooj)

Actually a pretty normal mix. I could've done this on any mixer but wait...there's echo & EQ-ing stuff going on yet again but in a very Subtle way. During this track I use the Panning on it's lower setting slowly adjusting the timing to create distortion.

10. Maffia Soundsystem 'Fact Da Floor' (Moving Target Records)

Here I use the transform to distort parts of the track by having it on low, low settings and adjust the timing manually. Subtle but sounds like it's meant to be there as there's already a similar effect throughout some the sounds.

11. Timmy S '..he's in the bar' (Surreal)

Usual EQs and effects to acheive this mix. You've heard it all before already.

12. ODD 'Don't Look at Me' (Paul Rogers Dub) (Sumsonic)

Here I sneak in parts of 'Space Manoeuvres' echoing in and out. Echoes out of time into the main breakdown. Sounds sweeeeet. I think. You tell me. I use a trusty old skool deck stop with an echo on to act as a sound effect to lead into the next track....listen out for it.

13. Bermuda Triangle - Tai Do 22 (CDR)

I practically rearrange this track live using hotcues, echo and the revers toggle and I made my own extended breakdown using my infamous reverse toggle wiggle. Arcade game stylee. A warning, doing this is likely to break the CD player after a while! So, don't try this at home kids unless you can afford another one...

Djing to another level ... :eek: :eek: :D :D

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by saleen351

eurooooooooooooooooooo trashhhhhhhhhhh

guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidoooooooooooooooo traaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Guest brwneydtrouble

Ok, listening now to the JZ Essential Mix, and OMG (to quote arturo) at about 59 minutes, what an awesome song!!! I LOVE IT!!! Can anyone ID it for me?

my boyfriend found this with his, straight from the horse's mouth:

Just a bit of information on this CD that you've bought / borrowed / blagged / stolen / downloaded (grrrr). The idea behind the CD was basically to show that DJing, for me, is more than just playing records, it's about the manipulation of sound and a musical journey made out of building blocks - those blocks being the individual tracks which make up the whole journey (cliché, cliché!

Unlike many DJ mix CDs that are available, this CD was mixed entirely live, without the use of computers. I used lots of tricks and mixing techniques that for the past few years I have been learning (and am still learning). Thanks to the usage of Pioneer DJing equipment there are bits of live editing, echoes, scratches, loops, distortion and other effects to hopefully make this an interesting mix for you to listen to. I had fun making it, that's for sure. :-)

Musically, my influences are very clear within this mix. I grew up with an acid house and techno loving Dad, spent a long time immersed in many of Sasha's mixes and then the funk of Tyrant took a hold of me... plus I've always had a keen interest in turntablism too. So, I guess my sound is made up from my favourite bits from each of my influences and therefore making a style within itself.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

James Zabiela

I heard it, I think it's outstanding

Originally posted by diabolique007

my boyfriend found this with his, straight from the horse's mouth:

Just a bit of information on this CD that you've bought / borrowed / blagged / stolen / downloaded (grrrr). The idea behind the CD was basically to show that DJing, for me, is more than just playing records, it's about the manipulation of sound and a musical journey made out of building blocks - those blocks being the individual tracks which make up the whole journey (cliché, cliché!

Unlike many DJ mix CDs that are available, this CD was mixed entirely live, without the use of computers. I used lots of tricks and mixing techniques that for the past few years I have been learning (and am still learning). Thanks to the usage of Pioneer DJing equipment there are bits of live editing, echoes, scratches, loops, distortion and other effects to hopefully make this an interesting mix for you to listen to. I had fun making it, that's for sure. :-)

Musically, my influences are very clear within this mix. I grew up with an acid house and techno loving Dad, spent a long time immersed in many of Sasha's mixes and then the funk of Tyrant took a hold of me... plus I've always had a keen interest in turntablism too. So, I guess my sound is made up from my favourite bits from each of my influences and therefore making a style within itself.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

James Zabiela

I heard it, I think it's outstanding

There are a few of these nubreed Djs who are setting the new standards with which to measure the rest ...

If that wasn't enough ... they are patiently proving they can move any crowd ... regardless of size ...

For them ... music is more than a way of earning a living ... they have the passion for doing what they love before economic concerns ... music grows from inside out ... instead of trying to learn it ...

Zabiela is simply an outstanding dj ... you can forecast in his smile and his jumps he is going to destroy you a few seconds later ...

Hands down ... one of the top three nubreeds ... :hat:

Guest brwneydtrouble

I had heard of JZ last January, when I really knew nothing about music, and was able to hear him for the first time at Space when he opened for Lawler. As much as I love Lawler, I honeslty only remember the portion that James played. It was incredible. SO MUCH ENERGY.....Lawler was a blur afterward. Then I was lucky enough to see him up close and personal the next night. I can't wait till he comes back into town, definitely one of the noteworthy DJ's out there by FAR. Space should take note and instead of have him as an opening DJ, have him headlining.That boy can rock the place. And if not, I'll stil go see him wherever he plays.

Just like Edgar. :D

definitely of one of my favorite dj's atm. He's such a nice person as well, down to earth and humble. Hope he's in Miami again soon he absolutely rocked at Space. :)

The cd's I had a pleasure of hearing when he finished the last time he was in Miami and its excellent. Anyone know if we can pick this up locally?

I want to get my copy of the CD/3x12 ASAP.

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

I had heard of JZ last January, when I really knew nothing about music, and was able to hear him for the first time at Space when he opened for Lawler. As much as I love Lawler, I honeslty only remember the portion that James played. It was incredible. SO MUCH ENERGY.....Lawler was a blur afterward. Then I was lucky enough to see him up close and personal the next night. I can't wait till he comes back into town, definitely one of the noteworthy DJ's out there by FAR. Space should take note and instead of have him as an opening DJ, have him headlining.That boy can rock the place. And if not, I'll stil go see him wherever he plays.

Just like Edgar. :D

Amen ;)

Great CD .. I picked it up yesterday. Something different from Jigga. Even a track called Jigga What? - Sleepin In.

Hope we can have Jigga back here soon.

He absolutely rocked it on Groovetech yesterday watch out for archive soon.

Originally posted by diabolique007

I feel that DJFX has those qualites as well, it's a zen philosophy

I see great thing for both James...

and Felipe! :D

!!!WOW!!! Thanks Dia!!!

I heard James play once, when he opened for Sasha at Crobar.

His track selection was first rate!!! I was encouraged to go in particular to hear him play, as friends had said his style and mine were parallel. I definately enjoyed the diversity of his style as well as some extra scratch goodness!!!

Peace,

FX

this CD is top notch quality throughout. loved when he opened up for Sasha & Digweed in conference, the breaks, the scratching, the funk in a large sound system with everyone having a good time and ready to party, one of my best memories from this years conference.

Originally posted by vicman

this CD is top notch quality throughout. loved when he opened up for Sasha & Digweed in conference, the breaks, the scratching, the funk in a large sound system with everyone having a good time and ready to party, one of my best memories from this years conference.

One of my best nites out ever... :D ... all 3 were A-MA-ZING :hat: