Clubplanet Nightlife Community

santa monica farmer's market tragedy

weyes

i work in santa monica, and today a co-worker of mine who had the day off stopped by with some bags of vegetables and said he just saw the most horrible thing he'd ever seen.

i'm sure by now most of you have heard about the 86-year-old man who drove through the farmer's market and killed 9 people, including a 3-year-old child, and wounded 50 others, 15 critically. my co-worker said he saw the car drive through and just hit bodies, making what sounded like one explosion after another, nonstop. when the car had finally come to a halt, there were bodies and blood everywhere, and a woman trapped under a car. "some people wanted to lift the car and get her out," he said, "some said we should wait for help. but a bunch of people just lifted the damn car and moved it outta the way."

it's so abstract till you hear about it from someone you know. he says he's not gonna be able to sleep at night for a while.

but i'm so angry about this. old people should have to take road tests every so often; they're unsafe drivers. poor reflexes, bad vision... i don't need to get into this further, but i've been adamant about this for a long time. i just saw pictures of this man on the news, in fine condition, looking like he has no idea of what he's done (reports say that he seemed confused) and i'm angry, 'cause this all could and should have been prevented. i'm angry and very, very sad.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/local/ktla-me-smcrash17jul17-lat,0,542799.story?coll=ktla-home-1

They chalked it up as an "accident."

I work 20 blocks away, and am still in shock. I was going to go down there during my lunch break, too...

May the families affected by this tragic incident find peace. What happened was so senseless...

I'm torn about this...

On one hand I deeply sympathize with the family and friends of the victims. On the other hand, just thinking about the guilty conscious that old man will have to live with for the remainder of his days. Thats a heavy mental load for someone his age. I suppose its just another reminder of how precisous and fragile life is...

Originally posted by tequiza

I'm torn about this...

On one hand I deeply sympathize with the family and friends of the victims. On the other hand, just thinking about the guilty conscious that old man will have to live with for the remainder of his days. Thats a heavy mental load for someone his age. I suppose its just another reminder of how precisous and fragile life is...

from all that's been said about this man, i don't know how much of this he'll ever understand or remember. i wouldn't worry about him having a guilty conscience.

:( i heard about this while i was in dallas....sucks a lot...can't believe that old man...and i agree with you, weyes. a great deal of senior citizens just cannot handle driving. true, it must be hard for someone to be told that they cannot be independent anymore with their car, but this is a safety issue...at least have anyone over the age of 65 or something do a number of exams per year to make sure that they can still drive properly...(maybe one every three months...)

but who knows...california is going through some deep shit right now as it is...with the deficit and grey's bitch ass....

Originally posted by sassa

...true, it must be hard for someone to be told that they cannot be independent anymore with their car, but this is a safety issue...

as is often said, driving is a priveledge - not a right.