Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need Help Mixing!!!

blazynup

I have been mixing for a while. When i go to match the beats i put on the head phones and in the head phones cut over to 1 song, get an idea of how fast the beats are going then cut to the other song and do the same(all in my headpones), then adjust the pitch to try and make the beats match. Before i mix though i listen to it in my head phones but the problem is the beats always come off each other and gets confusing on which record is spinning faster or slower to match the beats. Does this sound like a good way of doing it, does anyone have any little tips or tricks, even another method to help perfrect my mixes??

I have heard some people say writing the BPM on each individual record is a good way because then u know exeactly how much to adjust the pitch, does anyone do this??

Originally posted by christianjay

either

1. ask the CD-DJ's what they do.

2. keep your day job

3. sell your 12's and get a new hobby

no one wants to help eachother out anymore....

then everyone wonders why this board went to shit... :idea:

assholes like this....

sorry blazynup wish I could help...Im just a crappy "CD-DJ":rolleyes:

Originally posted by mangledx

assholes like this....

:laugh:

im not a dj , therefor i cant help, but only be a wiseass :laugh:

assholes like this....

heres a tip practice practice practice ....dont worry about BPMs grow an ear and learn to tell the difference in pitch by ur own ear....this board has been shit for 2 yrs so who cares......as for all u cd djs :blown:

then maybe you shouldnt answer posts you have no clue about...

:idea:

wiseass.....more like a DICK

hence...why this board went to shit....more then this board can handle

i haven't been on the board that long

but the music forum by far is horrible

bunch of people who know nothing about music

with the exception of a handful of people..

I've been spinning for about 3 years or so (as a hobby), and I don't have any real equipment (just two tables and a decent mixer). It took me a long time to get good at beat-matching.

It takes a while to get good at it. My limited experiences have taught me that you just have to keep practicing. Absent any real equipment, alot of it has to do with being good at adjusting the pitch control. When you're spinning a song, keep in mind that it's a song, not just a beat that you need to match another beat to. Listen to the songs alot and get used to knowing the upbeats and downbeats, when and how the beats change, and what parts of a song would be the best to bring another beat in to. Basically, mixing starts by learning how to mix by ear (as someone suggested earlier). By doing this you should be able to find good spots to bring your beats in and match to. Listen to the beats very carefully, and you'll notice that many house songs have basic elements, aside from how complex they seem. Spinning by ear is pretty hard in my opinion, because it's not just as simple as beat matching; you can beat-match with another song, but the mix still won't sound right.

It takes a while to get the hang of. I've been fucking around with turntables for a little while, and I've only gotten the hang of beat matching not too long ago.

Also, try not to play your records really fast. There seem to be alot of dj's who spin house music at a pitch that just fucks the entire song up. I don't know why this is. Maybe some of them just like the way it sounds, or maybe it's easier to match to. I really don't know, but I've always thought it sounded stupid. I mean, some songs are meant to be spun at a fast pace, but other songs just sound stupid when you don't let the bass hit as slow as it's supposed to.

Sorry I can't offer more.

Good luck, and keep it up.

Oh, and take GOOD CARE OF YOUR VINYL!!!

Thanks guys aside from the assholes that just feel the need to reply but that just goes to show some people got a little more time on thier hands, but anyways thanks for the advice i was pretty sure there was no secret trick its i just dont see how when my friend comes over he gets those beats on like that but i guess i just need more practice, and you know theres no such thing as real skill when ur a CD-DJ . . . It will never happen to me!!!

VINYL 4E:D

#1 tip you must be able to tell where the first beat is in the loop.

count 1,2,3,4 in your head along with the beat. once you find your start point cue the second record up to the first beat. as the first record thats playing thrugh the monitors hits the 1 beat drop the second record so that the 1's match up. If you do not do this you WILL TRAIN WRECK EVEN IF THE BPMS MATCH!!!

Fuck BPMS they wont help you to learn to mix. I thought they could in the begining till my boy told me the deal. I had a bpm counter on my mixer that I had to cover in order to learn to mix. Labeling your records by bpm is a good idea for dj's who play out and allready know how to mix, like in a club when your rushing to put on the next track... hope this helps email me for clarification.

:finger: to all you fucking smart ass punk kids

Originally posted by djsrox

count 1,2,3,4 in your head along with the beat. once you find your start point cue the second record up to the first beat. as the first record thats playing thrugh the monitors hits the 1 beat drop the second record so that the 1's match up. If you do not do this you WILL TRAIN WRECK EVEN IF THE BPMS MATCH!!!

Fuck BPMS they wont help you to learn to mix. I thought they could in the begining till my boy told me the deal. I had a bpm counter on my mixer that I had to cover in order to learn to mix. Labeling your records by bpm is a good idea for dj's who play out and allready know how to mix, like in a club when your rushing to put on the next track... hope this helps email me for clarification.

dont write the bpm on the record. thats a joke. when you learn how to match a beat. you while also learn to be able to mix faster and be more creative. sometimes when i mix, i just through the track right in off the fly and just fix it while its mixing (slow it down, speed it up) it just takes time to learn to mix smoothly. just pratice

Originally posted by djsrox

thanks alot just i dont see how u know which is the 1st beat out of the loop. If i count 1,2,3,4 in my head of the song thats playing in order to mix it with the second record which i already would have cued at the beginning of the loop with the first beat how can u tell and make sure u dont end up letting the record go on the 3rd or 4th beat out of the loop?

So what your saying mixing the beats will only come together when the loops are matched, so fisrt find the loops then move to the pitch control after that.

maybe another way of saying all this, but in simpler form. cue the track you'll be mixing it right at the onset of a kick drum. since it's the kick drum that usually = 'the beat' that what you use to match beats.

for starters try to use songs that start/end with just the kick drum. have the program (aka the track that's playing) in your monitor in your right ear, and put the cued song in your headphone in your left ear.

now listen for the beats to synch, it'll sound weird, almost make you smile, when you find that the two songs are finally in synch.

just let the program play, and keep restarting the cued song till the beats are as perfectly overlapping as you can get them. then slow down or speed up the cue'd track as necessary.

also, when you're ready to mix in the cue'd track, start bringing up that channel with about a minute left on the track that's playing. that way the songs will start/end seamlessly to the crowd. this way, the songs are actually 'mixed'. and it wasn't like track A stopped and track B started.

when you're really good, be it on vinyle or cd, the crowd shouldn't know that a new song is coming. once they notice the new song, you might be as far as 2 minutes into it.

and why rip on cd dj's??? dj = disc jockey why didn't they name it tj for track jockey, or vj for vinyl jockey?

i think track jockey would make it universal.

I agree with DJmattreid

I also have a tip on how to get started

take 2 of the same tracks

and try to match the beats together. that way you get a good idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Mane

Guest djdrip2002
Originally posted by mane

I agree with DJmattreid

I also have a tip on how to get started

take 2 of the same tracks

and try to match the beats together. that way you get a good idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Mane

thats actually not too smart because 2 of the same songs are the same speed.....

I mix the same way as djsrox recommended. It works for me.

As far as figuring which beat is running faster than the other, I tend to keep the song i'm cueing a little louder (in my headphones) than the one that's playing.

Originally posted by djdrip2002

thats actually not too smart because 2 of the same songs are the same speed.....

Actually I think it is a very good idea

the whole point is to learn how to beat match therefore

it would be obvious to not have the records at the same

pitch.

I learned how to beatmatch and do timing with Wu Tang - C.R.E.A.M. . . . found that rap's harder beats make it easier to pick up. I went back and forth, cutting track to track, moving places on the song until i could pick it up very quickly. . . spent a good amount of time listening to the songs i was gonna work with, to get an idea of the beat structure. In the beginning I wrote the bpm on the records. . .after a short amount of time i got the ear for it. I still sorted stuff in the crates by rough bpm, so i'd have an idea of the speeds of songs. Even now, i find myself going 1 2 3 4 with the songs i hear everyday at clubs.

I dj'd for a few years in college, my roommate had a rig, I sold all my stuff . . . .I'm looking to get back into it, I miss it a lot . . . looking to buy an upstart setup myself, eventually will grow it of course. . .

assholes like this....

well put

Guest djdrip2002
Originally posted by mane

Actually I think it is a very good idea

the whole point is to learn how to beat match therefore

it would be obvious to not have the records at the same

pitch.

exactly but a copy of the same song is the same speed so insetead you can try practicing with something along the lines of 1 or 2 bpm faster or slower of the song playing.