Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Israel passes new law

kramadas

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2974045,00.html

New Law for Israeli-Palestinian Couples

Thursday July 31, 2003 4:39 PM

By GAVIN RABINOWITZ

Associated Press Writer

JERUSALEM (AP) - Israel's parliament on Thursday passed a new law that would force Palestinians who marry Israelis to live separate lives or move out of Israel despite charges from human rights groups and Israeli Arabs that the law is racist.

The law would prevent Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza Strip who marry Israeli Arabs from obtaining residency permits in Israel.

The vote was 53 in favor, 25 against and one abstention, a spokeswoman for the parliament said.

``We see this law as the implementation of the transfer policy by the state of Israel,'' said Jafar Savah from Mossawa, an advocacy center for Israeli Arabs, referring to a plan by far right groups to transfer Israeli Arabs to other Arab countries.

Savah said the law was an attempt to legalize unofficial policy that has been in effect since September 2000 when violence broke out and warned that the law would damage relations between Israel and its Arab minority.

Both local and international human rights groups have condemned the law as racist.

``This is a racist law that decides who can live here according to racist criteria,'' said Yael Stein from the Israeli rights group B'tselem.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International have sent letters to the parliament protesting the law and urging lawmakers not to pass it, a statement from Human Rights Watch said.

Israel's government contends that such a law is necessary for security reasons, citing instances where Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza have exploited their residency permits, granting them freedom of movement in Israel, to carry out terror attacks.

``This law comes to address a security issue,'' Cabinet Minister Gideon Ezra told Israel Radio. ``Since September 2000 we have seen a significant connection, in terror attacks, between Arabs from the West Bank and Gaza and Israeli Arabs,'' Ezra said.

Israel and the Palestinians have been locked in a bloody conflict for 33 months, though a cease-fire declared by the Palestinians on June 29 has significantly reduced violence.

The law, which passed its first reading on June 18, would force newly married couples to choose between living in the Palestinian areas or living separately and would be in effect for a year when the parliament must renew it.

It is not uncommon for members of Israel's 1 million strong Arab community to marry residents of the Palestinian areas, and this was one of the only ways a Palestinian could be eligible for an Israeli residency permit.

Ezra told the radio that since 1993 over 100,000 Palestinians have obtained Israeli permits in this manner. ``It has grown out of control,'' he said.

Stein from B'tselem said there have been only 20 cases from these 100,000 people who have been involved in terror.

``I am not taking these attacks lightly but this is an extreme solution to a marginal phenomenon,'' Stein said.

Ezra turned aside charges that the law was racist, saying ``I agree that anyone who kills Jews just because they are Jewish is a racist.''

Rights groups accused Israel of trying to rush the bill through parliament before it goes into recess on August 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1, the new israeli law did not materialize out of thin air. there is a solid and fundamental reason for this law, the fact that palestinians who married israelis participated in a number of suicide attacks within israel proper. furthermore, due to the difficult financial situation facing israel, the status quo on this kind of marriage was no longer acceptable, without legitimate taxation on both parties.

#2 i'm not quite sure what to believe about these sites. they are weird, but interesting...

i find it disgusting that you would post this racist rubbish. my grandmother's entire family was wiped out by nazis. you may as well start posting 'interesting' articles on the Elders of Zion, or how jews eat christian babies. how sad and pathetic.

Originally posted by tribal

#1, the new israeli law did not materialize out of thin air. there is a solid and fundamental reason for this law, the fact that palestinians who married israelis participated in a number of suicide attacks within israel proper. furthermore, due to the difficult financial situation facing israel, the status quo on this kind of marriage was no longer acceptable, without legitimate taxation on both parties.

#2 i'm not quite sure what to believe about these sites. they are weird, but interesting...

i find it disgusting that you would post this racist rubbish. my grandmother's entire family was wiped out by nazis. you may as well start posting 'interesting' articles on the Elders of Zion, or how jews eat christian babies. how sad and pathetic.

the only thing that is disgusting tribal is your logic. 50 percent of our jails are filled with African Americans, but does that mean we should lock each and every one up and take away their rights?

Palestinians who married Israeli's participated in Suicide attacks?

Basing an entire law over the notion of suicide attacks is complete idiocy.

Certain soldiers in the IDF commit terrorism against Palestinians, so does that mean Israel should prohibit ppl from joining there army???

Oh wait.....I forgot to realize that Israel doesn't give a fuck.

Why don't you admit that Israel is a racist country, I mean we are talking about a country who gave gas masks that didn't work to non-Israelis and brand new ones to Israelis.

Can you explain that tribal?

Originally posted by tribal

honestly, i really don't care. a third of my family was killed by stalin, but do you see me vowing bloody murder against russians and georgians? no? i thought so.

and i guess it's not racist for you to post zionist shit? please. that's the pot calling the kettle black. take a long hard look in the mirror before you accuse anyone else of hypocracy.

if you believe jews eat christian babies, that's not my problem. the evidence on those sites aren't off the wall. and it's possible it did happen. you just choose to see otherwise because you're jewish. i understand that. but that shouldn't cloud your logic, if you have any.

Originally posted by sassa

i'm not quite sure what to believe about these sites. they are weird, but interesting...

http://www.zundelsite.org/english/101/english1013.html

http://www.lebensraum.org/english/debate/appfaur1.html

sassa: you just look for any opportunity possible to insert your garbage don't you. This topic had nothing to do with these links yet you posted it anyway. Stick to the topic HYPOCRITE.

xeno: admit palestinians are racist also. It's not one sided

As for the Isreal's new marraige law, I see where they are coming from, but there must be some other way. That is a really shitty law, and I feel bad for couples who will have to split up over it.

Originally posted by skince55

sassa: you just look for any opportunity possible to insert your garbage don't you. This topic had nothing to do with these links yet you posted it anyway. Stick to the topic HYPOCRITE.

xeno: admit palestinians are racist also. It's not one sided

As for the Isreal's new marraige law, I see where they are coming from, but there must be some other way. That is a really shitty law, and I feel bad for couples who will have to split up over it.

whatever you say, skinhead :rolleyes: