Clubplanet Nightlife Community

off topic: digital cameras

fearlesss

what is a good digtal camera out there?

I'm looking @ panasonics sv av 30 but what some input on what else is out there. here's what the sv av 30 has:

Power SourceAC Adaptor: 4.8V; Battery Pack: 3.7V

Power Consumption Recording: 2.3W (AC Adaptor); 2.1W (Battery)

Monitor 2" LCD (200,000 pixels)

Weight (without battery pack & SD Card) 3.35 oz.

Four-in-one Player

Digital Video Recorder, Camera, Audio Player & Voice Recorder

Image Sensor 1/4" C-MOS Image Sensor

Built-in Flash Yes

Image Compression JPEG (VGA)

Video Compression MPEG4

Voice Compression G.726

Lens F2.35, Focal Length: 3.55mm; Shortest Image Distance: Approx. 1.7 ft. from Lens

Microphone Mono

Standard Illumination 1400 lux

Minimum Required Illumination 60 lux

Recording Media SD Memory Card

Video Compression Modes Fine & Super Fine: 320 x 240 dot; Normal & Economy: 176 x 144 dot

Music Expansion MPEG2-AAC, MP3

AC Adaptor & Power Cord Included

Rechargeable Battery Pack Included (Lithium-ion)

SD Memory Card 64MB Included

Stereo "inner earbud" Headphones Included

USB Reader/Writer Included

ompatible Operating Systems Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 & XP

Built-in Speaker Yes

Wearable Carry Case Yes

Carry Case No

Hand Strap No

AV Cables Yes

Remote Controller Yes

Music Software SD Jukebox Ver.3.0

Video Software SD MovieStage Ver.2.0

AV Cradle 1

Yes

Dimensions (H x W x D) 11/16'' x 27/16'' x 215/16''

You know how on cameras you always hear about how many "megapixels" it has? Megapixels = picture quality. . . this one has under a megapixel. That means. . . if all you want are tiny images, in other words like 2 inches by 3 inches, it's fine, otherwise the resolution is gonna suck.

If looking for a small camera, I'd say the Canon Elph except for one of my friends having a lotta problems with it. . . I love the sony's in general, usually good features and easy to use and good quality at the price.

IMO if you want both Video and Digital Cameras. Get them seperate. Do not get them together. The quality is not nearly as good as having them seperate.

Check out the Sony's as far as Digital Cams.

I am not to into the Video Cameras so I am not sure.

i work in a camera store; i'd advise that you not get that camera. the picture quality on the stills is horrendous. you really shouldn't go below 3.2 megapixels. i don't know what your budget is, but a great cheap digital camera is canon's a70. it's got a lot of features, has a hard plastic-covered screen (more protected than those of many other cameras), has sound as well as video, and has most of its functions on a dial on top of the camera, making it easy and quick to get to the one you wanna use. there are many modes you can use, from full to semi-automatic to fully manual. this allows for more control than a lot of other cameras that don't let you do the work yourself. my company sells it for $249; i don't know if you can get it for much cheaper than that.

the only problem with this camera is that it's in such high demand that it can be hard to find.

to add to bigsteve8's post, there is more than one canon elph. their newest one is the s400, is a 4 megapixel camera, and'll run you about $499. i don't know if that was the one to which he was referring :confused: .

and as elementx says, one really has to get video and still camreas separately. the resolution of still pictures on video is terrible, and the video clips on still cameras are way too short (just to mention one problem).

Weyes I wish I knew you had that camera for 249 I paid 299 but I still love it. Its a great point and shoot camera with some slr stuff on it. I use my 10D for shooting surfing and the what not. But for the money you can't beat an a70. Its great fits in my pocket can take it to amusement parks or anywhere I don't want to lug the 10D.

I would highly recommend the a70 for anyone looking for a good inexpensive digital.

thanks, I understand what to look for now. I'm a little behing on techie stuff.

whats the life time for these? how long before, say the newest and greatest one, becomes out dated. A yr? 5 yrs?

But I'm getting back into the swing, new job= more $$$ =new toys( computers, printers, watch (maybe), rc car, of new multi media. on

I have the Nikon Coolpix 2500. It's a 2 MP and I'm very happy with it. It's really small and works great. I got it for $225 on eBay. The're going for around $200 right now on eBay. My friend has the digital Elph and it's really heavy. This is alot lighter. They also have a Coolpix 3500 which is a 3.2 MP if you want better quality. It goes for about $300.

Check it out:

Yah, that coolpix is a good piece. . . .

On stuff becoming outdated, generally year and haflf, 2 years . . . when things get smaller and resolution goes up a lot for same price. . . i got one a year ago, looking to get a better smaller one soon. But as long as it still works, camera is a camera, just can get better resolution and better options. . .

Originally posted by DarrellG

I have the Nikon Coolpix 2500. It's a 2 MP and I'm very happy with it. It's really small and works great. I got it for $225 on eBay. The're going for around $200 right now on eBay. My friend has the digital Elph and it's really heavy. This is alot lighter. They also have a Coolpix 3500 which is a 3.2 MP if you want better quality. It goes for about $300.

Check it out:

ritz camera sells that new for $149!!!!!!!!! (not directed at darrellg; directed at fearlesss.)

the 2500 is a great little camera, but its settings are automatic; there's hardly anything manual you can adjust. don't know if that matters to you. and if you can afford 3.2 megapixels, that's where i'd start. as darrellg says, the 3500 is pretty much the same camera, it just has 3.2 megapixels. i like the swivel 'cause it protects the lens; the camera can take a beating (relatively speaking).

phew. let me see what else there is to which i wanna respond...

bigsteve8's right when he says, "But as long as it still works, camera is a camera, just can get better resolution and better options. . ." but prices have been consistently dropping like crazy as technology gets better and better. i would just wait for something that's of good quality to be within your budget :) .

Originally posted by weyes

ritz camera sells that new for $149!!!!!!!!! (not directed at darrellg; directed at fearlesss.)

the 2500 is a great little camera, but its settings are automatic; there's hardly anything manual you can adjust. don't know if that matters to you. and if you can afford 3.2 megapixels, that's where i'd start. as darrellg says, the 3500 is pretty much the same camera, it just has 3.2 megapixels. i like the swivel 'cause it protects the lens; the camera can take a beating (relatively speaking).

Definatley check out the 3500 ;)