Clubplanet Nightlife Community

World Series picks

bullseye

I wish the Phils would make it, but I doubt they are even gonna win the wild card. They are folding fast... Everyone here in Philly has given up on them and is more excited for the Eagles season.

But my pick is the Braves over the Yankees in 6

only reasoning is that since they do have Canadian teams...it makes it a "world" thing...but i agree...pretty stupid....the only league that HAS NO foreign teams is the NFL...but this is a good question...i am actually surprised that Sassa had something intelligent to say....:tongue:

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

only reasoning is that since they do have Canadian teams...it makes it a "world" thing...but i agree...pretty stupid....the only league that HAS NO foreign teams is the NFL...but this is a good question...i am actually surprised that Sassa had something intelligent to say....:tongue:

i guess in theory it's because the best players play in MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL. while in the past it was weird to see any player who was not American or Canadian in any of these sports, slowly more and more foreign players are coming into the leagues.

In the NHL you got tons of european players, and your starting to see the same trend in the NBA. Baseball has always had a fair amount of Hispanic players and slowly your starting to see more Japanese and Koreans in MLB.

Originally posted by sassa

stupid question: but why do they call it the world series when only american baseball teams are in it?

Perhaps because the best baseball players in the world come to play for the MLB which just happens to be in the U.S. They are all technically American teams but their players are some of the best of the best from all over the world. I dunno, just a thought. :D

Originally posted by sassa

stupid question: but why do they call it the world series when only american baseball teams are in it?

i think the fact that MLB is so diverse culturally now that baseball's championship series can be considered a "World Series". But 50-60+ years ago, this didnt apply to MLB as most players were either white or black. The reason it became known as the World Series, in my opinion, was simply Americas way of telling the rest of the world, America is the best, we have the best players, and anything the rest of the world has, does not measure up. In essence we are tooting our own horn as usual to the rest of the world. Sports championships that deserve their name: World Cup of soccer, and the Little League World Series.

Originally posted by bullseye

With a little over a month and a half left, lets hear your picks.

I like Giants over the Yanks in seven.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here....and you guys can quote me if you like....world series matchup :

San Fran GIANTS vs Oakland As.

San Fran in six games...... you can take that to the bank.... coz I said so :D