disco didn't

rap didn't

hip hop won't

jazee didn't

classical didn't

r and b didn't

grunge didn't

etc...

bro you are so wrong, disco defintely came back, they just started calling it House! Grunge was just a combination of 80's alternative rock and classic rock, so that came back, classic rock was a term coined in the 80's for the revival of all the 60's and 70's hard rock, r and b means rhythm and blues, a term coined in the 50's for blues with electric guitars and drummers, and it has been coming and going ever since in various incarnations, now classical has always just been for blue blooded hoity toity old rich folks, I'm not sure about hip hop but these days rap is bigger than ever, and I have no idea what you mean by "jazee"???

anyway House and Techno will be back, and better than ever, it never caught on in the mainstream anyway, not here in the US, give it a rest and just wait until the mainstream finally gets a hold of it in a few years, as the big labels that push pop and rock finally run out of steam and people realize they don't wanna hear silly little ditties about love and teen angst, and that dancing all night long can be a drug in and of itself, an alternative to getting high on drugs and casual sex.... think about that

so anyway looks like I've let myself get sucked in by the troll here

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it won't come back, even if the economy does come back and people have the discretionary income to buy drugs and party more, something new should come along.. Look at the history of music, nothing EVER comes back...

Were looking at it from different standpoints. House is a way of life for some and not the trend it became. Like you stated "The house explosion" - it became more mainstream to some level and attracted people who cared more about getting fucked up on drugs than the music/dancing/vibe. So if it dies down for some, i dont mind because i would rather party with 300 house heads than 3000 social clubbers. By the way, house will never die! NEVER!

Guest saleen351

eKiTeL, those forms of music did come from others and they might come back in different forms, like disco is now house etc, but the era in that style is over... and i missed typed, it was jazz i was talking about, a style of music so endangered the US goverment declared it's a national history landmark....

sandiegino, all trends in american start in NYC, ALL OF THEM, and trust me, house has come and gone in the northeast... Sure techno seems to be the future but it has zero shot at mainstream appeal...

Also look at all the classics night popping up in the club world.. They are the only consistent parties around, the rest is just filler until the dj drops a anthem or classic in his set...

Producers have zero shot at making any decent money, and only louie devito can sell cds... The radio won't even touch house music any more.. Vocal trance is what is left... Face it, just like Disco Stu on the Simpsons, we are the minority that wants it like the old days, but it's ova, completely over...

one last thing, go read all the music boards, the cp one, sicktracks, vipgueslist etc.... there is no posts and nothing to talk about... just clueless djs who think tunes are the best right now and no one listening to any of those tracks..

Originally posted by saleen351

eKiTeL, those forms of music did come from others and they might come back in different forms, like disco is now house etc, but the era in that style is over... and i missed typed, it was jazz i was talking about, a style of music so endangered the US goverment declared it's a national history landmark....

obviously the 90's are over

Originally posted by saleen351

sandiegino, all trends in american start in NYC, ALL OF THEM, and trust me, house has come and gone in the northeast... Sure techno seems to be the future but it has zero shot at mainstream appeal...

Also look at all the classics night popping up in the club world.. They are the only consistent parties around, the rest is just filler until the dj drops a anthem or classic in his set...

only louie devito can sell cds... The radio won't even touch house music any more.. Vocal trance is what is left...

Who's leg are you trying pull with this crap.....it's like you take a ounce of truth and distort the facts to your own bias....

all trends in america start in NYC....let's examine that

House- Sure it may have roots going to disco...which was originally an underground movement that mainly occured in NYC and Miami but actual House once it's true sound was defined originated in Chicago ....and to coin a phrase you like to use a lot....BELIEVE ME I'M FROM CHICAGO I KNOW!

Let's go further back....Jazz...wrong again...Jazz began in New Orleans and was derived from marching bands and later evolved when african slaves picked up on it.

Classical really isn't an American trend, it was brought over by upper class society during the dawn of our country....so what if the majority of it was in NYC...where the fuck else would it be...there wasn't shit around besides the New England Region.

Grunge - Seattle... -come on.

R n B - true RnB was also a spin off of jazz...RnB most initially began its break into the scene in Chicago with the Blues.

HIP HOP/RAP and DISCO- I'll give it to ya East Coast all the way.

As far as Louie Devito selling CDs...he may be the best because he poors out commercial crap....but certainly not the only one that sells....example...Bad Boy Bill...check his discography and tell me he hasn't sold a boat load of shit.

As far as techno...I don't kow why people keep talking about it like its just popping on the scene...its been here for over 20 years as well....but I agree it does not have a mainstream appeal....but does any elctronic/dance music really have "mainstream appeal"...appeal that could have it top the mainstream charts week in and week out, no.

Honestly...I believe what you think as classic House and your taste in House is dead or dying and that is what is predicating you to feel so strongly that House is dead or the scene is dead...no shit numbers are decreasing its called change and your right it's directly related to the economy and crack down on drugs...but if there is anything that should be clear is that economies move in trends and to say we will never experience a surge like we had is ignorant....I agree that we may not see it in the proportion, but this economy will recover...we are capitalists its in our very nature....and who knows whats ahead in our life time 10-20-30 years from now. S far as drugs....come one...if people want them they will take them and hide them and do whatever it takes....you should know that the war on drugs is just media hype and that the US is not winning.....sure it does raids and busts...but this isn't new...just more publicized.

....no offense to anyone but there was term we use to use back in the day for the type of house you enjoy and think is so "classic" and that's "homo-house"....because its that diva ..re-mix crap that has such an expected "club-sound" to it...not to mention that ALL gay clubs or nights bang this shit out and have the boys doing the vogue and run-way walk to it...no wonder why gay nights are called Anthem nights.

I am glad that the House you like is going away and the NorthEast has to result to classics nights to conjure up the feelings of days past, your opinion of good house is dying and mine is still striving and being pushed right in the face of the adversity even while the economy is failing and the govt is at war with drugs....so I agree in part with you...NYC Club/Anthem/Diva/Remix Crap-House is "OVA"

Guest saleen351

i didn't mean those styles of music came out of NYC, it's obvious they didn't, but when NYC jumps on board, then the trend can explode, without NYC few things in this country blow up and become successful...

Originally posted by lyrik

...NYC Club/Anthem/Diva/Remix Crap-House is "OVA"

obviously you havent' heard the new extended mix of Paul Johnson's "doo wap" that track RULEZ!

anyway that style is just one element within the broader idiom of House and Techno, and has it's place in sets spun by a new breed of eclectic dance music dj's who will take this music into the future, now a whole night of just that one style really sucks, and I agree you have to be on drugs, or have a very exaggerated one-sided personality to actually enjoy something like that

it's not about your style or my style, it's about recombining all these styles into a coherent whole, that IMO is what will keep people dancing and lure more people into it who never got it before

• 3 weeks later...

Im sorry but i just had to interject into this discussion about west coast house.

Being that i am a San Francisco DJ i had to defend my roots at no disrespect to any one cause you are entitled to an opinion but for those of you that dont know whats up let me educate you a little about this west coast house music.

First of all Phillipio you know you can come down toLounge 16 on saturdays and here that SAN FRANCISCO sound.

And on that note everyone seems to think that

all of San francisco sounds like in some way or another or think that SF sound is Om records or miguel migs but its not ...the SF sound was developed by pioneers like Rasoul, Garth, Panhandle records, and then there was Om and Mark farina.

They are just the ones who put a certain sound on the map and are truly phenominal artists.

For one those are record labels and productions that carry that sound not the west coast DJ!

In fact mark doesnt always sound the same. and if your into deep house he is definately deep but mark can also bang it out.

There are many differnt sounds coming out of SF.

For instance I like to combine real funky soul & jazz influents, percussion, piano licks, with heavy cords, & fat basslines layered over a chunky drumtrack. even vocals.

But it depends on the crowd and where im playin.

Sometimes i can get really funky and driving.

And when im in the studio producing tracks thats how they come out, a little of this and a little of that.

Miguel and J-Jay, Chris Lum they are pioneers of there own signiture sound but out of all of S.F. There are many different producers coming up and some have been around longer than Miguel. He just sprouted out of a dub reggae band and began DJing and producing within the last 5 years.

But they are all truly ranking DJs! Hats off!

Okay Okay enough , i could go on.

If you want a little something different to check out and hear a definate different style of sound i recommened you come check out "ART n Sound " a new saturday weekly that myself and B-Side have started.

The new promotions go into effect this week so we are just building it up but it takes those other people that are tired of the same old that are open to another sound, a difference for a change, and ears that arent expecting to hear the typical sound of "South Beach".

I am from san francisco, I am here for another year.

My job brought me here.

So since i have been here i have only heard a handful of really good talent, but thats because im used to a different vibe and a style all its own, not sayin that djs here do not sound good , im sure in there own right they are amazin.

But i am trying to educate the area with a whole different sound.

Not sayin its what sobe needs but simply offering a different vibe for a fresh new beggining.

I havent been here long enough but i hear people downplaying the house music scene here.

And thats not what im about.

Im simply doin it for the love of house music!

So i invite every one to come check it out at least come and listen and see for yourself.

"Art n Soul "

A fusion of local underground artist shocasing unique and creative art and the celebration of true house music

Artists rotate monthly.

Your weekly resident deckers...Layin down the soul with deep , jazzy soulful, funky tracks

DJ Aladdin

( emerge recordings SF )

DJ B-Side

(Stanton, FLH )

Hope i didnt offend anyone?

Peace.

Thanks for the respect of mentioning the wicked crew. To this day they are still the pioneers of the west coast movement. If all want to hear house music. I will be playing at the Marlin Hotel on Satuday. Aladdin I will try to stop by and check you out at lounge 16. Much love and respect. J.C. Housedivision.

Housedivision i have Mad respect to the wicked of course, i played with JENO, GARTH, MARKIE quite a bit.

Lets try to hook up sometime, its cool to have someone right from my backyard as well here in FL.

I beleive i have heard vaughn & sheldon the first night i went to Lounge 16, they were playing.

Really nice cats, very true people.