Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Go outside. Check out Mars!

meng

Look towards the South East in the sky. It's the brightest looking star. This is the closest Mars has been to Earth in 60,000 years......like woah......:smoke:

With binoculaurs you can even see some of the surface of the planet.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by xxgrooveericxx

Impressive stuff.

But you can count me out for 5:31am...... :zzz:

Yeah me too....it's close enough right now. :D

Then again it will be its closest at that time and nobody will be able to see this again for another 60,000 years so I may just have to set my alarm as well....

Yup! It looks super cool. I know this sounds dorky as hell...but I am going to the Planetarium tonight...they are having a big thing there from 8-12PM with huge telescopes and stuff so that u can observe Mars and its surface, polar caps, etc. etc. Might as well go and get some good info for the kids in my class u know?! Not only that, but we won't ever see this again in our life time....it won't be this close again for another 200,000+ years:eek:

Amazing! I've been paying attention to Mars for the past three weeks or so...since the Perseid meteor showers (last months) what can I say? I'm somewhat of a cosmos-geek :tongue:

Thing is, you can still get a good look at it for the next month or so as it goes back to its regular distance in relation with the earth, the moon and the sun...it is now 34.6 million miles away from us...5 times closer than usually :eek: :eek: :eek:

What we are seeing is Mars amplified 5 times in size and brightness...thanks Meng!

peace and chicken grease

FUNKETEER

:aright::rock:

And this one time......in the astronomy club.....:D

Shit I may just go the planetarium tonight. I'm an astronomy nerd as well (and yes I was in the astronomy club In Belen in '87).....lol

Hey sunnyhost, is it free?

Originally posted by meng

And this one time......in the astronomy club.....:D

Shit I may just go the planetarium tonight. I'm an astronomy nerd as well (and yes I was in the astronomy club In Belen in '87).....lol

Hey sunnyhost, is it free?

OMG! The Belen observatory is awesome! lol. I remember back in the day when I went to summer camp there that there was a solar eclipse and they took us all up there to wear those funny glasses and to look up at the sky.

Ok..anyways...I digress. lol

I think it is free tonight Meng. On the news this morning they didnt mention anything ab a charge and they were saying that they were doing it to hopefully help spark a renewed interest in astronomy.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Reminds me of Tomb Raider......"planetary alignment..." Does that really happen? I might be out there at the planetarium too, I love all that stuff.

Hey here we go! It's a freebie!

Moons over my hammy..oops...I mean...Mars over Miami (Look here for the whole month's Mars events.)

Mars Over Miami

Wednesday, Aug. 27 from 8:00 p.m. to 12 midnight.

Join us on this special evening when Mars is closest to the Earth! Beginning at 8:00 p.m. with a live star show by Jack Horkheimer; at 8:30 p.m. a Mars talk by Astro-photographer Dr. Donald Parker; a raffle of 4 Meade telescopes and “Best Dressed Martian†contest, all part of the fun! Observatory is open from 9:30 p.m. to midnight. Cost: Free to the public.

Originally posted by sunnyhost

Hey here we go! It's a freebie!

Moons over my hammy..oops...I mean...Mars over Miami (Look here for the whole month's Mars events.)

Mars Over Miami

Wednesday, Aug. 27 from 8:00 p.m. to 12 midnight.

Join us on this special evening when Mars is closest to the Earth! Beginning at 8:00 p.m. with a live star show by Jack Horkheimer; at 8:30 p.m. a Mars talk by Astro-photographer Dr. Donald Parker; a raffle of 4 Meade telescopes and “Best Dressed Martian†contest, all part of the fun! Observatory is open from 9:30 p.m. to midnight. Cost: Free to the public.

I was just going to post the same thing. I'll be there sometime after 9:30.