Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Casualty Reports - what's your opnion?

cintron

Should the media continue reporting each individual casualty ?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should the media continue reporting each individual casualty ?

• Yes
    • No

Everytime you turn on the news or load up yahoo.com, there's always a story about the newest deaths in Iraq. At first, I found it was the duty of the media to report deaths - and I don't want to be insensitive and say they should stop, now that deaths are becomnig routine - but I think the casualty reports are starting to really grate on my nerves. I'm just curious as to how everyone else sees this.

I don't want to disrespect the men and women out there fiighting, but then again it seems that everytime there's a death, it's front page news and that really wears down the public after a while. It gives "experts" and other pundits something to talk about when they go on a show and dissect the entire strategy of the military and the president. After a while, I just don't want to hear any more about it.

Being updated to-the-minute on battlefield casualties, with individual, personalized reports per casualty is getting to be a little bit much.

what does everyone else think?

Originally posted by cintron

Everytime you turn on the news or load up yahoo.com, there's always a story about the newest deaths in Iraq. At first, I found it was the duty of the media to report deaths - and I don't want to be insensitive and say they should stop, now that deaths are becomnig routine - but I think the casualty reports are starting to really grate on my nerves. I'm just curious as to how everyone else sees this.

I don't want to disrespect the men and women out there fiighting, but then again it seems that everytime there's a death, it's front page news and that really wears down the public after a while. It gives "experts" and other pundits something to talk about when they go on a show and dissect the entire strategy of the military and the president. After a while, I just don't want to hear any more about it.

Being updated to-the-minute on battlefield casualties, with individual, personalized reports per casualty is getting to be a little bit much.

what does everyone else think?

Put simply, the antiwar media has been, and will continue to report to fit their anti-war agenda.....and I am not just talking about combat deaths

For example, the musuem looting story was reported by the media as the biggest crime against civilization....the facts proved it was enormously overblown, and the reporting was completely false and inaccurate.....did the media offer a retraction?...of course not...

Just jump to the next "story" that fits their agenda...

Democrat Senator Ford recently came back from Iraq, and indicated he went there because he had concerns about how things were going......he said reality is much different than what is being portrayed in the media......i.e. the vast majority if the Iraqi people do welcome us there

Also, the media loves promoting doom and gloom....unfortuntately, it sells

just filling up the airwaves.....i guess there's nothing else to report....it is not necessary to report every single death in my opinion. just have a weekly toll or something, and devote time to more substantial news, like how the US troops over there and being slaughtered and why. but i think people do know the reason for that, but the media won't report on it thoroughly,of course.

Originally posted by t0nythelover

sure lets just ignore the death of americans cuz we dont want to hear about it...wtf is that. if it was someone in your family dead youd want to hear about it. when you become a soldier and risk your life then i want to hear you say that if you die no one should hear about it.

:clap2:

sure lets just ignore the death of americans cuz we dont want to hear about it...wtf is that. if it was someone in your family dead youd want to hear about it. when you become a soldier and risk your life then i want to hear you say that if you die no one should hear about it.

it's not about ignoring the deaths, but it is ridiculous to have a war and get a play-by-play about what is going on and each single death.

And you've got to be kidding if you think that the families of the fallen soldiers even care about the news. These soldiers are not worried about whether or not they get mentioned on the news. That's not why they joined up, and that's not why they are risking their lives in the first place. Their families know this.

:topicsuck

well i'm just curious as to what people's opinons are. Not trying to say that soldiers who fall in combat aren't worthy of recognition or honor, but I've just been thinking of late, does it really "honor" the dead to have a cover story on each individual casualty? The families grieve, but with each passing report, does it give them the peace they need to help deal with the situation or is it something that keeps the issue always at the front of their minds?

just something i'm thinking about. curious what everyone else thinks of it.

the thing is that people forget history.

When Iraq was created by the British after WWI, it took them like 3 years and about 20,000 soldiers' lives before the country was stablized.

Also, after Hitler's death in WWII, about 400 soldiers per week were dying in post-war Germany.

Not that the lives currently being lost in Iraq are not important(quite the contrary), but it is not even a fraction of the lives that have been lost in other conflicts.

more people die everyday in Washington D.C. than in Iraq.

Yes, if someone in my family died or someone I knew died I would like to hear about it, but last I checked I didn't get the news on my family and freinds from the media. If someone close to me died I'm sure I would find out about it without it being reported on fox or cnn. Actually, don't you think that would be a worse way to find out? to turn the TV on and find that a relative or friend has been killed. I even think its worse for the families of those in Iraq to hear about each death on the news. That has to be alot of stress on them to hear and wonder if it was thier child or loved one who the report was about. The soldiers killed should not be forgotten or brushed under the mat. I think thier deaths should be reported just not on an individual case by case basis