Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anybody work for the WorldBank or know someone who does

iamme

Originally posted by vicman

yeah but you can slack in a govmn't job. meaning you could have that govmn't job while going for a master's at the same time. whatever you do, don't go to the private sector, they will suck you dry.

:laugh: :laugh: EVERYONE ive talked to who has a Gov't job or knows someone who has one always brings up the slack factor!! ;) That might be a good move...not the greatest pay, but as you said --> slack time!! i wonder if they pay for part of tuition and fees..

When you say "private sector", what exactely do you mean?? (btw...what do u do? still trying to get ot know everyone on the board...)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by teriaki

You don't make any money in gov't. In public sector, you can bust your ass for a few years then get the hell out with some serious bling bling.

yeah but the slack factor is key, at least in this particular case as he would have time to pursue a master's degree. he would have to be willing to sacrifice some money, but if he's thinking of going for a masters then doing it while having a job would be nice. looks good on the resume.

Originally posted by iamme

When you say "private sector", what exactely do you mean?? (btw...what do u do? still trying to get ot know everyone on the board...)

well i guess anything that is not "public sector" is "private". :confused:

i do public health research. work for a private for profit company, and they suck you dry. i've worked in public health departments in the past, and money aside, the slacking was prime. i even had time to pull in a full load of classes (12 credits) each semester while going to grad school.

:laugh: :laugh: EVERYONE ive talked to who has a Gov't job or knows someone who has one always brings up the slack factor!! ;) That might be a good move...not the greatest pay, but as you said --> slack time!! i wonder if they pay for part of tuition and fees..

DO NOT, I repeat do not work for the gov't. I know a few friends that work in various departments and they hate it. I swear I give it a couple more years before they go on a shooting rampage. It's sooo uptight, the pay sucks and it monotonous(sp) work. 9-5 like the flint stones and you really don't do anything worthwhile, there is no sense of accomplishment since it takes 10 gov't employees to push one piece of paper or do a simple task, like spell checking a document. Yeah the good side is you can sit around for 6 hours out of each day, but how long can you do that before you realize what a worthless waste of a human being you are. Just my 2 pennies

I work for the gov't - and let me tell you, the pay is not half bad, epecially in comparison to the amount of work you do. ;) You also get great benefits and vacation time. and you get to have a life! you can go out on Thursday night and go to work the next day and take the day off mentally - or work 9 hour days and just take every other friday off.

and as for travel - in the area i work in, which is international affairs, i get to travel overseas about every six months for a week or two. People go to Russia, the Hague, Africa, etc.

Govt is a pretty good deal. and it looks great on a resume, allowing you to go somewhere else, including the private sector, in a few years. :cool:

Originally posted by pgiddy

DO NOT, I repeat do not work for the gov't. I know a few friends that work in various departments and they hate it. I swear I give it a couple more years before they go on a shooting rampage. It's sooo uptight, the pay sucks and it monotonous(sp) work. 9-5 like the flint stones and you really don't do anything worthwhile, there is no sense of accomplishment since it takes 10 gov't employees to push one piece of paper or do a simple task, like spell checking a document. Yeah the good side is you can sit around for 6 hours out of each day, but how long can you do that before you realize what a worthless waste of a human being you are. Just my 2 pennies

I can definately see your point of view. If i do go Gov't, it would simply be to use them and buy time...get MBA, have a life as silverhoes mentioned ;) , and get something different on my resume, rather than the financial services experience i have now :half:

Silvershoes, check you PM's :tongue:

I can definately see your point of view. If i do go Gov't, it would simply be to use them and buy time...get MBA, have a life as silverhoes mentioned ;) , and get something different on my resume, rather than the financial services experience i have now :half:

Silvershoes, check you PM's :tongue:

don't do it, it's like a blackhole, you'll never come back. You can still have a life at other places, trust me, and you can still get an MBA, that has nothing to do with working for the gov. Many companies will pay for your MBA, but either way if you are going to do that then you will not have a life no matter what your schedule is. Oh well don't say I didn't warn you Selma

Originally posted by pgiddy

don't do it, it's like a blackhole, you'll never come back. You can still have a life at other places, trust me, and you can still get an MBA, that has nothing to do with working for the gov. Many companies will pay for your MBA, but either way if you are going to do that then you will not have a life no matter what your schedule is. Oh well don't say I didn't warn you Selma

Just throwing around ideas ;) Your advice is appreciated...

I am currently in a black hole @ work :(

Cant stand waking up and not being excited to go to work...or at least being neutral about it...

someone on CP DOES work at the WB but i'll let that person choose (or not) to come out

Originally posted by silvershoes

and therein lies the answer. the money rocks the house. its a great salary, and its all take home pay. none of it is taxed.

i thought the only way it's not taxes is if you're not a US citizen but still working at the WB? in other words, if you're a US citizen working at the WB, you still get taxed. but if you're, say, rwandan, working at the WB, you wouldnt get taxes. dont quote me on that one though.

i would never want to work for the public sector. nor would i ever want to work at a large firm. small companies is where it's at! and working at small firms does NOT AT ALL preclude you from traveling. in fact, i personally think you have a better shot at traveling at small firms, since they dont have people/offices all over the world to pull resources from.

Originally posted by MadamMillie

someone on CP DOES work at the WB but i'll let that person choose (or not) to come out.

I will find you :shaky::laugh:

i thought the only way it's not taxes is if you're not a US citizen but still working at the WB? in other words, if you're a US citizen working at the WB, you still get taxed. but if you're, say, rwandan, working at the WB, you wouldnt get taxes. dont quote me on that one though.

i would never want to work for the public sector. nor would i ever want to work at a large firm. small companies is where it's at! and working at small firms does NOT AT ALL preclude you from traveling. in fact, i personally think you have a better shot at traveling at small firms, since they dont have people/offices all over the world to pull resources from.

I think youre right...but hey Im up for relocation :bounce: relearning my French and Arabic as we speak :aright:

Must find these small companies as well :updown: im all over the place today :laugh:

have a life as silverhoes mentioned ;)

HAHA. He called you 'Silverhoes'.

Btw, it's 12:30 and I'm already home from work. I have a meeting near my apartment, so after that I'm just going to go home and play Madden.

I work in private sector (typically known as commercial), so you can definitely find some prime slacking time ;)

I will find you :shaky::laugh:

I think youre right...but hey Im up for relocation :bounce: relearning my French and Arabic as we speak :aright:

Must find these small companies as well :updown: im all over the place today :laugh:

dude, if you know Arabic, you will get a job in no time. Friend of mine works for the Pentagon and the demand for Arab speaking people is exteremely high. And they do pay for your education, of course you would have to agree to continue to work for them for X amount of time afterwards, but in essence, your Arabic would open a lot of doors in many govmn't agencies.

Hey guys, just saw this thread (the world bank internet connection was down). Actually there is also someone ELSE who works there, but a different field. Dunno if she checks the board much anymore though.

I'm a consultant at the Bank, and got in, basically, through a friend. In most cases, you need AT LEAST a Masters to get even a consultant position(unless you know someone in the Bank who can hire you). They do have a program called the Junior Professional associates program, but I believe thats for recent graduates. Also, with this program you can only work for two years after which you're required to leave the bank for a certain period of time (preferably to pursue further education).

http://lnweb28.worldbank.org/hrs/careers.nsf/key/jpa

Most of the people who work full-time at the bank have PhDs in fields like public policy, economics, finance etc. There are a few MBAs at the Bank, but not very common (as far as I know).

What are your qualifications, and have you graduated?

I don't know of any undergrads working here in a professional capacity, but I could be wrong. If any of you do have info on this, please let me know as I can pass it on to another friend of mine who's interested in the Bank.

Originally posted by MadamMillie

where are you retaking french? i need to brush up, i hear the alliance francaise is good place to refresh.

all teriaki does is slack...and talk bullshit:D

Honestly, my mom has been helping me :laugh:

She is fluent, as is most of my family. I was pretty fluent at one point - when i lived in Montreal - but i lost it real quick when i moved to the States...

the Alliance Francaise...how much it cost? what have you heard?

Originally posted by vicman

dude, if you know Arabic, you will get a job in no time. Friend of mine works for the Pentagon and the demand for Arab speaking people is exteremely high. And they do pay for your education, of course you would have to agree to continue to work for them for X amount of time afterwards, but in essence, your Arabic would open a lot of doors in many govmn't agencies.

Arabic neads ALOT of work...i need to concentrate quite a bit on it...especially with the high demand

I was SO PISSED when i graduated last year that i wasnt fluent in arabic and french..the CIA had a posting for "recent graduates with B.A. in Economics and fluent in french and arabic"...would have been cool...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR that should have been me :splat:

Originally posted by raver_mania

Most of the people who work full-time at the bank have PhDs in fields like public policy, economics, finance etc. There are a few MBAs at the Bank, but not very common (as far as I know).

What are your qualifications, and have you graduated?

B.A. in Economics - May 2002

Been working as a Financial Advisor at AEFA since June 2002...

bleh

:half:

B.A. in Economics - May 2002

Been working as a Financial Advisor at AEFA since June 2002...

bleh

:half:

They came and gave a presentation to some people in my office, and then called me like every day for a month trying to get me to come in for a free consultation! they drove me up the wall.

Originally posted by silvershoes

They came and gave a presentation to some people in my office, and then called me like every day for a month trying to get me to come in for a free consultation! they drove me up the wall.

LOL :rofl:

sorry to hear that :)

Where do you work?? Do you remember their names?