Clubplanet Nightlife Community

If acosta is finished how the hell.....

jameznyc

Did he pack exit and soundfactory the last 2 times he played here.... was nominated best U.S. dj along w/ tenaglia...Touched debuted @ # 3 on billboard dancecharts (only reason why is pvd and louie the cheese devito released there cds same week) And if you check the NY board he got 2 pages of replys for his show @ club deep coming up 10/12/03 and got over 700 views??? thats more views than AVB playing @ arc

Guest brwneydtrouble

Its pretty much the same reason that Stryke is so well known and recieved everywhere else in the world and not in Florida.....

Its all about the crowd.

GA had his time here in Miami, now the sound has changed and eveolved, and GA has not evolved with it. His live sets are not the same as his recorded ones, and frankly, I was very disappointed the last two times that I heard him at MAZE. LIke I said before, there were times when I was left standing on the floor, like WTF is he doing??

You guys can have him in NY, he's toast here.

Originally posted by jameznyc

Did he pack exit and soundfactory the last 2 times he played here.... was nominated best U.S. dj along w/ tenaglia...Touched debuted @ # 3 on billboard dancecharts (only reason why is pvd and louie the cheese devito released there cds same week) And if you check the NY board he got 2 pages of replys for his show @ club deep coming up 10/12/03 and got over 700 views??? thats more views than AVB playing @ arc

he still can pack a club but he not as loved as he used to be down here!

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by erickamikaze

Now thats funny. Ship him to California?

Maybe they will take him in Zimbabwe??:confused:

No, just kidding........maybe all he needs is a new, more updated sound for Miami. :idea:

GA can still rock the house in Miami, NY, Cali, and Zimbabwae.

He is an international staple in the dance music industry. I reacall being in Brazil on a business trip and seeing GA's Next Level poster up on a chain of record stores in Sao Paulo. GA is known everywhere. Whether or not he is the "flavor of the month" in Miami does not dictate whether he is in or out to the rest of the world. GA is one of the handfull of International DJ's that sells. He has created an extensive fan base all over the WORLD that no other south florida DJ has-nor millions of DJ's all over the world. You can't argue with that fact. Whether his live sets are not as great as his recorded sets is a personal opinion. Last time I saw GA at Maze, the place was PACKED! He must be doing something right....

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by frisco24

GA can still rock the house in Miami, NY, Cali, and Zimbabwae.

He is an international staple in the dance music industry. I reacall being in Brazil on a business trip and seeing GA's Next Level poster up on a chain of record stores in Sao Paulo. GA is known everywhere. Whether or not he is the "flavor of the month" in Miami does not dictate whether he is in or out to the rest of the world. GA is one of the handfull of International DJ's that sells. He has created an extensive fan base all over the WORLD that no other south florida DJ has-nor millions of DJ's all over the world. You can't argue with that fact. Whether his live sets are not as great as his recorded sets is a personal opinion. Last time I saw GA at Maze, the place was PACKED! He must be doing something right....

True, he can sort of pack a place, but I happen to think that its more from nostalgia and name publicity. The question was more about why he gets better reception OUTSIDE miami. His residency at Level was great for a while......then his move to Spi was shortlived. Most people go because it is "GA" and frankly, I think most those people do not know what they are listening to and go because it is packed.

Just like this past weekend, when I went to Three Twenty, the old Spin......one of my old haunting grounds, I have many fond memories in that place, one of which was Biz's "Sally" beng tossed around and stabbed. *lol* The place was packed and even though I still love hip hop, the music was GOD AWFUL!!!! I could only stand 10 minutes of it at a time so I retreated to the upstairs to hear Sean Rudnick who was great. What a shame, the loft was EMPTY.

So what does that tell you? That certain people go where the crowd is, no matter how crappy the music is......

Do you really think that GA is THAT bad? I don't go to places just because they are packed...that is the problem with Miami...to many indians, not enough chiefs. People are followers. When people say GA sucks, the followers are there to back up the statement. There are few people on this board/Miami in general that state what they like because it is what they like. There is no loyalty in Miami...look at the Marlins. Miamians want to kick you when your down and praise you when your doing good...no loyalty. Whether you like him or not, you have to tip your hat to GA. In an indirect way he is responsible for all the dance clubs you frequent today. He put Miami on the map as far as dance goes.

I am a fan of GA's and appreciate the talent.

Do you really think that GA is THAT bad?

YES...

to be honest...GA lost it the moment Shadow Lounge closed down (which IMO was when GA did his last set there)...he moved over to Level and he was TERRIBLE!! i never heard him at Spi so i cant comment...GA has no progressed with the trends in Trance or in any form of dance music...u might commend him for that, but that is just plain DUMB with the way the market is right now...i havent heard him spin since his Level days, but if he is still playing "World In My Eyes" and doing his "Praise the Dj" pose, its pretty pathetic...if u like GA, good for u...but he has lost alot of his fans b/c of his lack to adapt with the music scene...btw i have been a Marlin's fan since they came into the league and even followed them after Hieznga (sp?) betrayed Miami and sold off its 97 World Champ. Team off...so its not about Miamians being selfish and bad fans...its about giving us a good product one year and then just selling its players and expecting people to continue to support a rag/tag team...but that is a diff. subject...;)

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

YES...

to be honest...GA lost it the moment Shadow Lounge closed down (which IMO was when GA did his last set there)

that was actually the last time I heard GA, and I remember thinking at the time, damn its been a long time since I heard him.

seems like a different life now, how things have changed since GA absolutely owned miami :hat:

Guest brwneydtrouble

I have to agree with Matas.....yes he was awsome then. He did a lot for the industry, but like he said he has failed to change with the times. In a city that is ever evolving like miami, DJ's have to evolve also with the ebb and flow of the trends or they become last seasons hot DJ. Take a look at the hot clubs of the moment with the exception of Space - with Nerve, Luna, Life, Jazid, BED, and all the rest of the small to medium sized venues, dont you think that the trend now is leaning towards something a little more intimate than the kinds of sets that GA puts on?

I know that I, as well as most people on this board attent the events that I LIKE, and support the DJs that I love. You wont find more loyal clubbers anywhere else.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Another thing.....I'm sorry AJ that it seemed that I compared GA to Stryke.

Greg is an amazing musician and GA could only HOPE to be anywhere near what he is. Plus he is a genuine, incredibly nice guy which is worth more.

My two cents.

I'm Sticking By George Acosta I have quite a few of his Cd's seen him Live plenty of times and the guy never let me down always brought the house down and definetly gave you some hard heart pounding trance to get you dancing and place your mind in another world acosta wouldn't be ranked in the top 10 of dj's around the world if he wasn't doing something right if you don't take my word chk out www.thedjlist.com and see for yourselves. My opinion as every1 has theres, but he never let me down and always made sure i left with a dam smile and me saying daaaaammmm what a set Later Party People and keep P.L.U.R. Alive

Do you really think that GA is THAT bad? I don't go to places just because they are packed...that is the problem with Miami...to many indians, not enough chiefs. People are followers. When people say GA sucks, the followers are there to back up the statement. There are few people on this board/Miami in general that state what they like because it is what they like. There is no loyalty in Miami...look at the Marlins. Miamians want to kick you when your down and praise you when your doing good...no loyalty. Whether you like him or not, you have to tip your hat to GA. In an indirect way he is responsible for all the dance clubs you frequent today. He put Miami on the map as far as dance goes.

I am a fan of GA's and appreciate the talent.

Did I just get called an Indian? So what if I make reservations? It would have taken forever if I wouldn't have planned it ahead of time!!

Well, I heard there is a new dj in town! There is a new place opening up VERY soon... as soon as I have more details, I will post them. It's going to be a great place with none of this commercial stuff, just hard house. They are even throwing in a trance night for all you tranzheads.

I'll keep you posted... I'm such a tease, but I always follow though.