Clubplanet Nightlife Community

weyes' wisdom of the day - 9/28/03

weyes

calling a musician/artist/performer, etc. a sellout because s/he becomes successful makes no sense. one should be happy that one's favorite talents succeed. one can see it this way: the more people that get reached by these people, the more lucky the world is. one shouldn't be so selfish and silly as to want to be the sole fan in order to keep a "hip" or "underground" reputation :rolleyes: .

tune in tomorrow.

true, true...many ppl. will start to diss artists simply because they become famous...because when the artist becomes famous those ppl. can no longer be the only ones who know abt the good stuff heheh...but sumtimes success gets to artist's heads...but thats stuff for another 'wisdom of the day' thread :)

Originally posted by anotherway83

true, true...many ppl. will start to diss artists simply because they become famous...because when the artist becomes famous those ppl. can no longer be the only ones who know abt the good stuff heheh...but sumtimes success gets to artist's heads...but thats stuff for another 'wisdom of the day' thread :)

i'm with ya on all points :aright: !

Originally posted by vicman

oakie=sellout

people say he's a sellout a lot; i don't know anything about him, so i can't say. i recently got really pissed at someone on another board because she said in a "rant" thread that she (all quotes will include the smileys that she used):

"hates snobbery :rolleyes: ."

then in a thread the next day she said:

"you guys aren't actually excited about oakenfold, are you :laugh::cool::laugh: ?"

and the next day,

"oakie just plain sucks. [not a matter of opinion.]"

the way i see it, "sellout" is mostly a subjective term. everyone wants to make money; some people just do different things or go to different lengths to get it. i always used to call michael jordan a whore for endorsing the insane amount of products that he did (coke, nike, mcdonald's, gatorade, just to name a few), but who am i to say he didn't really believe in those products? and he did do a lot of good works with that money; he didn't just buy himself seven suvs with it, like most pro athletes do today. one could say that he lost credibility every time he added another product to the long list of products he endorsed (i think he did), but he still kept raking in the contracts, so i guess it didn't hurt him all that much. and think of it this way: he still played basketball the same way he always did.

i would hope that the reason so many people call oakie a "sellout" is because he changed his style to become more suitable for people he never used to respect. if that's the case, i would agree with them.

i think oakie is a selleout because he totally changed the music he spun. he used to be very good, if not the best 5 years ago. all the stuff he produces is usually w/ some other artist and the fact that he charges $40,000 for a 2hr set and that he tends to only really spin for 20minutes before putting on a CD while he pretends to spin is just goddam awful . . . and then of course are those "jesus christ" poses that he does all the time. wtf? :blown: