Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dessert in DC?

jamiroguy1

Warren Brown, the owner of Cakelove (1506 U St. NW; 202-588-7100), the popular but tiny Washington bakery, finally figured out a way to let his customers have their cake and sit with it, too: He opened Love Cafe (1501 U St. NW; 202-265-9800), just an eclair's toss across the street from Cakelove.

Patrons will find in his spin-off everything carried by the stand-up

original -- cupcakes, "crunchy feet" (small pound cakes), "buzz balls" (filled cream puffs) -- as well as a half-dozen sandwiches

($4.50-$7.50), running from portobello and smoked salmon to grilled cheese and tuna salad. The savories are several notches above the usual: the BLT is slathered with a sunny lemon mayonnaise, for instance, and a tofu sandwich is offered two ways, with tofu flavored with balsamic vinegar or "tandoori" style. Breakfast waffles and French toast are on the horizon, promises the 33-year-old entrepreneur, who left a legal career for hotter fires when he opened Cakelove 18 months ago.

Long and narrow, the 50-seat Love Cafe makes a pleasant alternative to the ubiquitous chain coffeehouses. Its brick walls are punctuated by broad windows that pull in lots of light, and the color scheme proves cheerful in yellows and blues. Most of the furnishings -- the mixed chairs and couches -- were purchased from nearby stores on 14th Street or wrought from natural materials (the wood tile tables are particularly

handsome). On a recent fall afternoon, baby strollers and laptops were evident in equal numbers.

There's no alcohol at Love Cafe, but there is a happy hour: Every

Wednesday from 5-7:30 p.m., Brown offers his version of the popular chocolate cake with molten chocolate center -- "lava cake," he calls it -- for $3 each.

Originally posted by silvershoes

perhaps we should do a happy hour there and have a lava cake? :cool:

I love the idea a dessert sunday happy hour oh and "buzz balls" :confused: What ever it is... it sounds good. You've got my vote.

Originally posted by rockyblue

one of the best places to get dessert, imo, is Afterwords in dupont.

I guess I asked the right people, eh?