Clubplanet Nightlife Community

School apologizes for Nazi display by band

kramadas

This is BS - I don't see why the school should apologize, especially in light of the context of the display. What happened to freedom of speech?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/09/30/band.nazi.reut/index.html

Performance coincides with Rosh Hashana

Wednesday, October 1, 2003 Posted: 4:30 AM EDT (0830 GMT)

Story Tools

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- The Paris, Texas, school district apologized Tuesday for a performance by one of its marching bands which played an Adolf Hitler anthem and waved a Nazi flag during a football halftime show.

Band director Charles Grissom said the song and flag were part of a musical performance called "Visions of World War Two". It was performed at a Dallas high school Friday, which was also Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish new year and one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar.

"The performance is an attempt to factually portray the history of World War Two, triumph of good over evil, and to honor our veterans for their sacrifices in ensuring freedom throughout the world," Grissom said in a statement. He added later that he made a major mistake in judgment.

The performance was greeted by heavy boos at the Hillcrest High School in Dallas, and several objects were hurled at the band.

The show included the flags of other nations fighting in World War Two, such as France, Britain, the United States and Japan. The flags were waved twice as a musical selection from each country was played.

The Paris school district issued an apology to Hillcrest High and to the Dallas school district, said Paul Trull, the superintendent of Paris schools.

"We regret there was a misunderstanding. We strive to be sensitive to the feelings of others and are always willing to amend our actions when we fall short," Trull said.

The band will still perform the musical composition but it will only have the United States flag on display, he said.

Paris, Texas is located about 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Dallas.

freakin oversensitive yahoodis. i swear theyd make it illegal to think bad thoughts about jews if they could. why didnt they apologize for waving the japanese flag? and why should it matter if the jewish holiday was on that day. every culture has a holiday everyday of the year so why be so damned pc all the time.

Originally posted by g420

If they burned a cross on Martin Luther King's day, there would be riots in every inner cities, apology or not...

burn a cross under what context? Just for the hell of it - hell yeah! I'm not advocating just anyone displaying a Nazi flag for the hell of it....

on a side note: its funny how people also confuse the Hindu swastika with the Nazi one.

i think it was just bad timing...obviously things were not thought out correctly...i mean if u know its the start of the Jewish holiday, why go ahead with this show? to me it doesnt matter whether it was the beginning of the Jewish new year or if it was just a normal ordinary day...playing a Hitlerish song and waving a Nazi flag around, like its all good, is in damn poor taste...i would have "booed" as well...and i am not even Jewish...

Funny thing is if this were any other religion/culture, there would be no issue. Its only when things are centered around Jewish events, that people become hypersensitive.

If there were a civil war remebrance, would people boo the appearance of the confederate flag?

Whatever - I don't care about this topic much more to keep a discussion.

Originally posted by raver_mania

Its only when things are centered around Jewish events, that people become hypersensitive.

not true...this could have been done on ANY OTHER day...and people would have complained...i mean playing a hitler anthem and walking around with Nazi flags is taking a bit too far...why not just dance around with a normal German flag? if people have the right to complain about Rushie's comments about McNabb on ESPN, then Jews or whoever can complain about this is as well...just my .02 cents

freakin oversensitive yahoodis. i swear theyd make it illegal to think bad thoughts about jews if they could. why didnt they apologize for waving the japanese flag? and why should it matter if the jewish holiday was on that day. every culture has a holiday everyday of the year so why be so damned pc all the time.

what are you, puerto rican? you wouldnt understand this issue and your ignorant and disdainful remark proves that. perhaps if your parents, relatives and a vast number of your ethnic group were machine gunned and gassed, 2 generations ago, you too would be an 'oversensitive yahoodi'

Originally posted by tribal

what are you, puerto rican? you wouldnt understand this issue and your ignorant and disdainful remark proves that. perhaps if your parents, relatives and a vast number of your ethnic group were machine gunned and gassed, 2 generations ago, you too would be an 'oversensitive yahoodi'

If he is a Rican - Dude - Where's my car?

Originally posted by skince55

Does your response imply that you are agreeing with this statement:

"every culture has a holiday everyday of the year"

Well I don't know enough about every culture to know if they have holidays or not, but I guess I kinda assumed that. My mistake.

• 1 year later...

:gang:ironCross7861.jpg

This is BS - I don't see why the school should apologize, especially in light of the context of the display. What happened to freedom of speech?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/09/30/band.nazi.reut/index.html

Performance coincides with Rosh Hashana

Wednesday, October 1, 2003 Posted: 4:30 AM EDT (0830 GMT)

Story Tools

DALLAS, Texas (Reuters) -- The Paris, Texas, school district apologized Tuesday for a performance by one of its marching bands which played an Adolf Hitler anthem and waved a Nazi flag during a football halftime show.

Band director Charles Grissom said the song and flag were part of a musical performance called "Visions of World War Two". It was performed at a Dallas high school Friday, which was also Rosh Hashana, the start of the Jewish new year and one of the holiest days on the Jewish calendar.

"The performance is an attempt to factually portray the history of World War Two, triumph of good over evil, and to honor our veterans for their sacrifices in ensuring freedom throughout the world," Grissom said in a statement. He added later that he made a major mistake in judgment.

The performance was greeted by heavy boos at the Hillcrest High School in Dallas, and several objects were hurled at the band.

The show included the flags of other nations fighting in World War Two, such as France, Britain, the United States and Japan. The flags were waved twice as a musical selection from each country was played.

The Paris school district issued an apology to Hillcrest High and to the Dallas school district, said Paul Trull, the superintendent of Paris schools.

"We regret there was a misunderstanding. We strive to be sensitive to the feelings of others and are always willing to amend our actions when we fall short," Trull said.

The band will still perform the musical composition but it will only have the United States flag on display, he said.

Paris, Texas is located about 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Dallas.

people who bitch about a jewish conspiracy are just anti-semites who are too pussy to express their true feelings, so they hide behind claims of the frivolous sort

what does this post have to do with a "jewish conspiracy"??

Aren't arabs semites too? What if a Jew believes in a jewish conspiracy??