Clubplanet Nightlife Community

CoolJunkie.com exclusive on Space34 Closure...

cooljunkie

Originally posted by pod

He's being singled out because he owns and operates the largest club in town, with unrestricted operating hours to boot. You know when the Feds were raiding the place 2 months back, they were trying to find anything, even a little scrap of paper, that nailed LP personally to the wall in a "drug dealing ring"...Space has been an 'issue' at City Hall for awhile, however it was operating within the laws that the City themselves set down to spur development...the City wanted a Riverwalk type of thing, what a place like Space represented wasn't...so the City found spurious reasons to bother and harass the club. The dealing by the employees was a problem, yes, but out of all the clubs in town, I've seen Space do everything in it's power to curb the dealing and using...but I guess it wasn't enough to satisfy the powers that be..

Your kidding yourself - right?

I by no means am going to lecture on whether it's right or wrong to do drugs, but if you think less than 25% of the customers at any given time weren't using something, you are so wrong.

You can go to any other club in south florida and it's not like that. Space and S34 harbored that environment and its employees participated in those activities.

There is a term "willful blindness" - seems to fit in this case whether you want to accept it or not.

I just hope that the great music that was the best part of space finds a home in South Florida - and quickly.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by nexusgroove

there is NO way to control drugs getting into a venue.

that's really not the issue, though, is it? the dea didn't arrest "drugs," they arrested drug dealers. the drug buyers seem to be able to figure out who the dealers are, so a nightclub manager should be able to do so, too - especially if those dealers happen to be employees. i expect that a competent owner and/or manager would sort it all out before the dea even had a chance to launch a year-long investigation.

some clubs spend a small fortune trying to discourage petty theft - electronically monitoring how the bartenders pour, putting individual bar codes on holographed comp tickets, placing night vision video cameras above the registers - but then willfully ignore illegal activity that puts everyone at risk.

want to sell drugs? fine, but do it at your place, on your own time, without jeopardizing the club owners' investment, the employees' paychecks, the promoters' reputations, or the patrons' experiences.

there is NO way to control drugs getting into a venue..

sorry.

not all drugs, but come on they were keeping shit behind the fucking bar and selling it to patrons.

They were confiscating shit from clubbers, and then selling it!

They hired lowlifes and they turned a blind eye.

Then LP comes on and says how many people depend on space for a living, think about them, then he says "Fuck it, Ive had enough" (screw them Ill take my money and walk)

Certainly his right, but just a few weeks ago we were supposed to have pitty on them?

Gimme a break, we made LP rich, and he gave miami good dj's. Fair enough, but dont be whining now.

If he wouldnt have had such a "bring em on" attitude with the city, things wouldn't have gotten to this point.

bottom line. Space closed because of LP's ego and his attitude that he was important and rich enough to do whatever he wants. He should have known better. He made him self a target.

I just wonder if he will trash this place too before he leaves.

Originally posted by sobe2003

You can go to any other club in south florida and it's not like that.

There is a term "willful blindness" - seems to fit in this case whether you want to accept it or not.

Seriously, to say that you don't see much drug users at the other clubs here is total bs. I've been too many clubs over here ranging from the ones havin hip hop events to the vip type clubs and they all got tons of drug users in there who are high and getting high in there. Shit, sometimes you even get these hip hop djs asking people to make noise if they are high. At the vip type clubs go in the bathroom and when u in there, that noise its not somebody with a runny nose in there.

Bla, I do agree that space shot itself in its foot by not having tougher checks on who was dealing in their club and who not especially since everybody pretty much knows there has been undercovers looking for that for the longest time. But can't agree when u label space as the place where the drug users went to get high, its everywhere.

Whoever opens up the new club, yeah might cause less customers but advice make sure to do everything in your means to control whats going on, whether it be security checks in front of the door or like saleen says dogs. Sounds stupid but hey if don't want the label then should go out of the way to get rid of it.

Oh please, 90 percent of the clubs on the beach have the same "fucked up"/sober ratio or worse. Don't think because the clubs are snootier that people are sober, they just have better drugs. Space wasn't an anomaly in this case...

Originally posted by saintjohn

that's really not the issue, though, is it? the dea didn't arrest "drugs," they arrested drug dealers. the drug buyers seem to be able to figure out who the dealers are, so a nightclub manager should be able to do so, too - especially if those dealers happen to be employees. i expect that a competent owner and/or manager would sort it all out before the dea even had a chance to launch a year-long investigation.

some clubs spend a small fortune trying to discourage petty theft - electronically monitoring how the bartenders pour, putting individual bar codes on holographed comp tickets, placing night vision video cameras above the registers - but then willfully ignore illegal activity that puts everyone at risk.

want to sell drugs? fine, but do it at your place, on your own time, without jeopardizing the club owners' investment, the employees' paychecks, the promoters' reputations, or the patrons' experiences.

let me refraze.....

hard the keep the element out or away.

Space would be a hard place to monitor electroniclly with all its dark spots and video equipment has alot of problems with focus/lums/ music and flashing lights due to focus errors.

space has many cameras installed, but still shit happens.

Maybe the In house security team could of taken lesons on drug interdiction or the gov would offered a program to keep club owners and there staff up to date with new/current tricks and methods of selling and buying so they can tag people.

Maybe make a small taskforce with-in a club of a few girls and guys just to handle drug interdiction and pervention.

This team would monitor both guest and employee's of the venue for any hint of violations. But then how would u know that one of the member of this taskforce won't go bad aswell?

you don't.

.... but that's an idea. just like the FBI over looks the DEA and the secret services over looks the FBI type shit.

I been in narcotic interdiction in the past. to me it's easy to spot (to read) the element in clubs. Some dealer are not stupid and have a system to selling in side such venues. Theses are the one's that go in with more then on person(s) to master it.

some type of systems used in the past.

Drop Points.

Wear something unique.

Pass by sales (used in the ghetto alot, pay at one point and get the supply and another point)

Drink Drops ( where they get the money from the buyer, goto the bar, get a drink for then drop the baggie in the drink and take it back to the buyer)

trying to turn over under paid emplyees as look outs.

most hang out at bar areas.

but... u would never thing of this....

I think space had a great pervention team I seen them tag people really quick, ofcourse it could of been better but isn't that always the case. something can always be better.

why.

this is a serious matter......................

:laugh::tongue:

on a serious note.... I think the gov should educated the club owners and security on this more. Not like the Gov is doing a great job them self's stoping drugs on the streets.

besides,, where are all the FBI and DEA Miami Posted agents going to party on weekend now....

they too love music and dance...

I by no means am going to lecture on whether it's right or wrong to do drugs, but if you think less than 25% of the customers at any given time weren't using something, you are so wrong.

You can go to any other club in south florida and it's not like that. Space and S34 harbored that environment and its employees participated in those activities.

I just hope that the great music that was the best part of space finds a home in South Florida - and quickly.

OK SO THE DEA WENT IN AND WATCH SPACE FOR 2YEARSSSSSS AND ALL THEY GOT WAS 2 EMPLOYEES WOW, OH AND 14 PATRONS.. OK I THINK YOUR BASHING SPACE CAUSE YOUR A LOSER OR CAUSE YOU GOT KICKED OUT OR WHATEVER YOUR REASON IS BUT LETS GET REAL... OUT OF 150 EMPOLYEES I THINK THEY DID GOOD. I THINK SPACE IS CLEANER THEN THE DEA

Originally posted by sonic1212

OK SO THE DEA WENT IN AND WATCH SPACE FOR 2YEARSSSSSS AND ALL THEY GOT WAS 2 EMPLOYEES WOW, OH AND 14 PATRONS.. OK I THINK YOUR BASHING SPACE CAUSE YOUR A LOSER OR CAUSE YOU GOT KICKED OUT OR WHATEVER YOUR REASON IS BUT LETS GET REAL... OUT OF 150 EMPOLYEES I THINK THEY DID GOOD. I THINK SPACE IS CLEANER THEN THE DEA

hey the DEA was watching a botanica in lil havan for 4 months and out of 10 employee's they arrested 9!!!!!

lol

well if they have been watching space for 2 years...

there was more then 150 employee's over that time. remember the club scene has a moajor turnaround of empolyee's that come and go..

I think Space and it's owner did a great job asfar as Drug dealing employee's.

one of the biggest problems of having dishonest employee's in any business is .....UNDERPAY! that is what cause theft and other mischift.

if u own a company and ur misstreating and UNDER PAYING ur staff.... chances are u going to have alot of internal theft and abuse of position.

look at some "now close dept. stores" i.e. Incridble Universe..... they paid ther LP dept.. loss pervention staff and over paid the sales people so guess who was clearing out the building? Loss Perviention.... and the manager...

lol

so a good 5000 of good paid employee's lost jobs because of under paid LP officers.

ironic!

Guest saleen351

Watch this:

Dade when you owned Shawdow Lounge how many drug arrests were made of your employees?

Wait till you see this answer....

SL and DADE are proof it can be done...

u haven't seen the specials on TLC ???

LEVEL was once know as the GHB central....

the gay night scene was heavy into the GHB. I think it was a ratio of 7 of out 10 .... were g'ed.

I don't know the stats now, but compaired to the element at space at any given night......... Level, twist, pump and other SoBe establishment had a high ratio.

I think the news times really fucked things up by advertizing space as the BEST plACE to ROll.... yes they had a problem before with the Pookie People, but after that article... come on.... might as well just put up a bill boardsaying.... come to space to use X is a green zone for it......

like saying... its ok to use X at space come out and USE IT THERE!

u haven't seen the specials on TLC ???

LEVEL was once know as the GHB central....

the gay night scene was heavy into the GHB. I think it was a ratio of 7 of out 10 .... were g'ed.

I don't know the stats now, but compaired to the element at space at any given night......... Level, twist, pump and other SoBe establishment had a high ratio.

I think the news times really fucked things up by advertizing space as the BEST plACE to ROll.... yes they had a problem before with the Pookie People, but after that article... come on.... might as well just put up a bill boardsaying.... come to space to use X is a green zone for it......

like saying... its ok to use X at space come out and USE IT THERE!

Name any other club where the bouncers confiscated drugs and resold them???

Originally posted by saleen351

Watch this:

Dade when you owned Shawdow Lounge how many drug arrests were made of your employees?

Wait till you see this answer....

SL and DADE are proof it can be done...

out of retiredment.... again......

lol

and the mix... that was a very clean place too... where everyone partied after shadow.....

I'm sure shadows stats were low. event in that boom year of electronica and stuff.

:)

Guest saleen351

Name any other club where the bouncers confiscated drugs and resold them???

EXIT:D