Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MLB Wild Card? To Be or Not To Be?

renzo2

Aight, check it....so me and my boy have different opinions on the MLB Wild Card situation. He's more of a purist; he says that the Wild Card takes away from the excitement of the last couple of weeks of baseball, if the 1st and 2nd place teams in a division play each other but both are guaranteed playoff entrance anyways. He thinks that if you can't win your division, then you shouldn't make the playoffs and that the team with the best record should get a 1st round-bye ( I think this builds rust--a disadvantage). I have a different outlook. I think these 2 same teams still should play for home-field advantage even if they are both guaranteed to make the playoffs. In a sport where a salary cap does not exist, I like to see small market teams get to chance to compete even if owners don't have the money that George Steinbrenner has, so I believe that, say a team like the A's, should have a chance for the Wild Card. There's a lot more to be said, but I'm getting tired of typing....what do you guys think?

I like the Wild Card as well...

The one thing I do not like is the 5 game ALDS and NLDS... It is too short of a series... If Team A has a bad 2 days they are already on the brink of elimination...

All series should be 7 Games... Drop this 5 game shit...

Well with the way it's set up, you need a wild card or you need another division.

I kinda like the wild card idea.. it gives teams a chance to make it into post-season and show everyone what they got..

Especially in divisions like the NL East and AL East where there is consistently 1 team always at the top, so far ahead that if there wasn't a wildcard, the other 4 teams or so would NEVER have a chance to go to post-season.

Originally posted by elementx

I like the Wild Card as well...

The one thing I do not like is the 5 game ALDS and NLDS... It is too short of a series... If Team A has a bad 2 days they are already on the brink of elimination...

All series should be 7 Games... Drop this 5 game shit...

I agree.....a 162-game season is far too long to only have a 5 game division series. The NBA just this past year went from a 5 game to a 7 game format in the 1st round. Baseball should follow suit--wishful thinking.