Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Yousef @ Oxygen review

philippio

Before I get into any details, let me say that I had never been to Oxygen before and I had never heard Yousef live before.

Ok, now let me thank everyone who helped bring Yousef to Miami and who made last night possible. First off, a HUGE thanks to Yousef himself for coming all the way from Liverpool and exposing Miami to REAL house music, spun properly!!! And Craig Demo for a tight, funky opener (despite the Yankees/Redsox distraction). And of course Nick (from cooljunkie) for getting the gig set up! And finally all the other cooljunkies and cp'ers who came to show their support!!!

I didn't care too much for the space. There are too many roped-off areas for the Grove vip's. There isn't a "dedicated" dance floor. It's pretty much a donut shaped area around the central circular "sculpture thingy." And then whatever space is left in the roped off areas. The crowd was almost 100% a college crowd (but I suppose that's to be expected in the Grove). That said, one can almost automatically come to the conclusion that they'll be clueless about house music. The fact that no less than 6 people (maybe more, I stopped counting) came up to the booth to ask for hip-hop, confirmed the fairly accurate assumption (that most of the crowd was, in fact, clueless about house). But they pay the prices for alcohol to keep the place open, so you can't blame them (one guy even admitted he drops $2K with his friends every thursday to listen to hip-hop). I told him to go home and turn on 96.5 or 99.1. There's nothing wrong with spending that much on alcohol but if it were my money, I'd prefer to spend it at a club where the dj is going to play records that I haven't heard a billion times on the radio. Let's just say, house music took over Oxygen for one thursday!!! And it felt GOOOD!!!

Overall, crowd was friendly, there were people dancing, there was a group of hot Alizee (sp?) girls passing out free Alizee on ice. Yousef dropped some great Chicago house tracks but the highlight (in my opinion) were his west coast gems from the likes of Joeski, Onionz, Dano, Jado, Johnny Fiasco and I think I also heard a Jay-J remix. Before he went on, I chatted with him briefly (today he was off to NYC to spin at Avalon with Joeski and Onionz). It's a new club whose opening line-up was (get this!!!)... Burridge with Hipp-E and Halo!!!

When I hear sick line-ups of this calibre, I ask myself "when will someone have the f*ckin BALLS to book someone like that in Miami???"

All in all, a great night for music but it was a shame that the crowd wasn't more appreciative. Girl to guy ratio was good, bouncers had a bit of an attitude but not intolerable, drink prices were acceptable, lighting was so-so.

super review!

i agree with you 100%

watching people asking Yousef for hip hop, almost made me scream (in fact i think i did!!)....Yousef was classy and took it in stride although it was obvious he was quite disturbed by this

i think those of us who did go were there for the music......

A huge thanks to all of you that came down - musically that was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Unfortunately I don't think the venue suited the music, and although it was packed we couldn't get the vibe that we wanted in there. Nevertheless there were some sick tunes played and props go to both Yousef and Craig Demo for the aural pleasures.

Yousef's eager to come back again before WMC, and this time at the weekend, so we'll be back to the beach or downtown for that. Meanwhile he's spinning tonight at Avalon New York with Joeski and Onoinz - wish I could catch that one :shades: