Clubplanet Nightlife Community

House: East Coast Vs. West Coast

philippio

I have to say that it's too bad some dj's in Miami are fixated on the east coast house scene and such notable producers as Creamer & K., and Deep Dish among others. This has unfortunately resulted in a somewhat incomplete and superficial perspective of house in an american city that boasts some of the best nightlife in the country. Although house music traces its roots back to Frankie Knuckles at the Warehouse in Chicago and Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage, people are not aware (or often forget) that there is a flourishing house scene in the west. There are many producers I could name but some of the most prominent recently are Jay Tripwire, Hipp-E and Halo (I know one is from Chicago, but the other is from San Diego), Lance deSardi, Jay-J and Chris Lum, Miguel Migs and the Naked Music Crew, Tony Hewitt, Master D, Tony Thomas, Tony Senghore, Dubtribe Sound System and Joeski & Onionz (they are from NYC but their music often looks to the west for inspiration). Not forgetting Danny Tenaglia (one of my favorite dj's and producers), the west coast house scene has almost crushed its adversary into flattened smelly cow dung!!!

Just like how the Marlins will feel once the Yankees completely obliterate them into oblivion!!!

Originally posted by southof5th

Don't you ever give up? You're starting to sound like a broken record...

Maybe you should up and move to San Fran if it's so great over there.

I saw Dubtribe live at Cameo in '94, didn't know they'd done anything since...lol

Hey don't hate on the tribe....they have been putting out production work on a regular basis their tours very rarely see this neck of the woods.

Philipio just needs to relax a bit and work with what he is given. I think he will be pleased to see some of the up and coming acts that will be here in the near future....keep and eye on Luna/Nerve/Nocturnal and the Lust Crew and he may just get a slice of what he is longing for.

Southof5th... My point is that it would be nice to have more variety instead of the same old shit and "Space terrace classics" and a very narrow optical field into the many flavors of house. The point of this messageboard is to voice opinions and ideas and have debates and extremely heated arguments about various subjects (usually having to do with music). So you are allowed to post whatever you want but if you're just gonna be dissing my proposal for more west coast, you better have a fucking intelligent rebuttal!!!

About Dubtribe... they just released a new album "Baggage." It's good but not as good as Bryant Street which Ibelieve was released in 1996. They also mixed a set for Chillifunk recordings called Heavyweight Soundclash. Very percussive and chugging house music in the usual Dubtribe style!

If I were to move to San Francisco, then after hearing all those producers, eventually I'd be asking for variety to include east coast house. It's the principle of diminishing returns. After a while of the same thing, you get sick of it. So it's not about where you live, it's about representation of more varied sounds. I don't think it's that much to ask for???

Guest brwneydtrouble

Why does it have to be west coast vs. east coast?

Doesn't it just make sense that since we are LOCATED on the east coast, that the majority of house DJ's are "east coast" too? I mean, how many transplanted DJ's are there here from the west coast to make that style more wideley known?

To me, styles of music are like dialects. They are regional and that can be true worldwide. Each region is known for their style of music, and its up to the transplants to make us aware of the differences. There aren't too many people that will actively seek out different styles of music like that.

Some people care, Pod. And I care because, like Browneyedtrouble mentioned, musical genres are like dialects and music is influenced by many surrounding factors. I don't, however, agree that since we are on the east coast, we should lock into the east coast influenced producers and be so ignorant and narrow-eyed towards what's going on elsewhere. And I don't really agree on the idea of the "transplanted dj." What does that mean anyway? So someone who spins on the west coast comes to Miami and they are supposed to immediately erase all memories and influences and start fresh attributing their style only to local Miami sounds?

What I mean is, who cares where it is from? As long as it sounds good to you, it shouldn't matter if it's from the Left Coast or Miami, or Outer Mongolia.

This sounds like that whole hip-hop rivalry back in the 90s. Shit, is there gonna be gang warfare in the house music scene soon?

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by philippio

Some people care, Pod. And I care because, like Browneyedtrouble mentioned, musical genres are like dialects and music is influenced by many surrounding factors. I don't, however, agree that since we are on the east coast, we should lock into the east coast influenced producers and be so ignorant and narrow-eyed towards what's going on elsewhere. And I don't really agree on the idea of the "transplanted dj." What does that mean anyway? So someone who spins on the west coast comes to Miami and they are supposed to immediately erase all memories and influences and start fresh attributing their style only to local Miami sounds?

No, you totally misunderstand what I meant. A transplanted DJ meaning someone that spins in Cali or wherever in the US comes to miami and spins here. Whatever he wants to spin. There are no expectations for DJ's, no strictures that say that people have to spin this or that. Its up to the crowd to dictate. And how do we know what dictates? Well, what brings in the money.

No one is locked on to one style or another nor narrowminded towards what should be played. People forget that this is a buisness that people run, and they need to make money.

Take Ramons parties at Jazid for example. He has the most diverse DJ's spinning, no cover, cheap drinks and its 110% about the music. Yet how many of you people actually GO??

It just seems to me that the ones that make these arguments are the last ones to actually support or make a difference.

Quit complaining and actually DO something. If its that important to you, go out and throw a party or go somewhere thats open decks, DJ for us and make us aware.......

thats so wrong..... just because a dj is from the east coast doesn't mean they will play east coast stuff only. I remember about 2 years ago there wasn't one house, tribal, progressive dj. in europe or all over the world who wasn't opening up their set with a couple of west coast records. Who wasn't playing Big Tool ep. by Chris Luma couple of yrs. ago?...or still does. Thats just one record. Dj's don't by music thinking..."ok this is east coast, it must be good...or I'm going to support this producer cause he's from the east". Dj's buy records because they fit into their style, doesn't matter if its east, west, or middle coast like Pod stated.jeje. Tons of european djs play west coast records....like east and west coast american djs play all the european label... If it fits your'e style + rocks the dancefloor...theres no prejudice that can prevent you from liking it. Unless youre saleen who is prejudice towards anything outside of U.S. or N.Y.C, Joysey house. I love West Coast recs. and I've never even been to the west coast, I'm not even American!

Originally posted by fostech

Dj's buy records because they fit into their style, doesn't matter if its east, west, or middle coast like Pod stated.jeje. Tons of european djs play west coast records....like east and west coast american djs play all the european label...

Exactly

i also agree with ms trouble....but the situation here mr west coast guy is that ur coming on here with an elitest attitude, and we can really care less about ur opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

if u have an opinion comment on it dont come on here with ur allmight know it all attitude, and say that ur better thatn whoever becuz of whatever...its kinda like racism, in a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how bout this u have good times ur way, and let other people have good times their way!!!!!!!!!!!!! deal

thank u and have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Look at our locals...do they play exclusively Miami House records? New York records? Take a peek in any decent local DJ's bag, and you'll see a variety...east, west, middle, Outer Mongolian, Slovenian Disco Drum n Breaks tracks.

I have to say that it's too bad some dj's in Miami are fixated on the east coast house scene ..... are Jay Tripwire, Hipp-E and Halo (I know one is from Chicago, but the other is from San Diego), Lance deSardi, Jay-J and Chris Lum, Miguel Migs and the Naked Music Crew, Tony Hewitt, Master D, Tony Thomas, Tony Senghore, Dubtribe Sound System and Joeski & Onionz (they are from NYC but their music often looks to the west for inspiration).

Get out of your house...

there are several dj's and promoters that cater to "The West Coast Sound" as you so like to call it... I have a feeling Joeski & Onionz both draw inspriration from smoking a fatty in the City, Queens to be exact... and Lance De Sard hailed from Dallas and NOW lives in San Fran...

The big problem lies with everyone putting labels on house music.. i.e. EAST COAST, WEST COAST... I get your drift, but there are quite a few tools on this board who think house music lies in the hands of Deep Dish et. al.

Go check out Aquabooty, DHM, Marc Vane, Patrcik Green, The Lust crew, Laid Bac Luc and a few others who are VERY well known for the sound you're looking for! GOOD MUSIC!!! :werd:

There is soooo much talent down in Miami, but everyone's more concerned about WHAT and not WHY! Just dance I say... dance! :D

I NEVER said or implied that I was better than anyone else. And I never said that anyone had to play ONLY east coast or west coast. And for that matter, east and west are just cardinal points on the compass! If you look at my records, you will see that I play a mix of things. Junior, Harlem, Tango, Maya, Siesta, Hooj, Bugged Out!, Low Pressings, Large, Vista, Subliminal, Big Chief, Nightshift, Honchos, Soma, to name but a few labels. I'm an advocate of variety and I'm an advocate of arguing for the sake of arguing. Anyone who thinks I'm a know-it-all because I drop a few names of some less known producers or some slightly "off the beaten path" labels should know that I do not consider west coast house an elitist sub-genre of electronic music, I do not consider myself a part of Miami's elite society, I'm anti-VIP rooms, and the one or two times I went to Jazid, it was late after 2:30am and the dj's had stopped spinning. I'm a firm supporter of the local house scene, especially at Blue (almost any night of the week) and Nerve on fridays and sometimes sundays. I have also been to several nights at Luna so I know that there are places in Miami that go the extra mile to showcase unique djing talent.

However, I'm an avid fan of the house scene in Cali (more than any other house sound), and whenever I get a chance to spin, I try to squeeze in (maybe more than a fair share) of records by the aforementioned producers. And guess what? I'm not from Miami, and I'm not from California and I'm not a transplanted dj 'cause I'm from Athens so if anyone is expecting me to play greek dance music, don't come to me!!!

I NEVER said or implied that I was better than anyone else. And I never said that anyone had to play ONLY east coast or west coast. And for that matter, east and west are just cardinal points on the compass! If you look at my records, you will see that I play a mix of things. Junior, Harlem, Tango, Maya, Siesta, Hooj, Bugged Out!, Low Pressings, Large, Vista, Subliminal, Big Chief, Nightshift, Honchos, Soma, to name but a few labels. I'm an advocate of variety and I'm an advocate of arguing for the sake of arguing. Anyone who thinks I'm a know-it-all because I drop a few names of some less known producers or some slightly "off the beaten path" labels should know that I do not consider west coast house an elitist sub-genre of electronic music, I do not consider myself a part of Miami's elite society, I'm anti-VIP rooms, and the one or two times I went to Jazid, it was late after 2:30am and the dj's had stopped spinning. I'm a firm supporter of the local house scene, especially at Blue (almost any night of the week) and Nerve on fridays and sometimes sundays. I have also been to several nights at Luna so I know that there are places in Miami that go the extra mile to showcase unique djing talent.

However, I'm an avid fan of the house scene in Cali (more than any other house sound), and whenever I get a chance to spin, I try to squeeze in (maybe more than a fair share) of records by the aforementioned producers. And guess what? I'm not from Miami, and I'm not from California and I'm not a transplanted dj 'cause I'm from Athens so if anyone is expecting me to play greek dance music, don't come to me!!!

I don't know... I actually think it has been getting better lately with different types of talent coming through. Recently Joeski , Lego, Bear Who?, Erick Morillo, Hisham, Marques Wyatt, King Britt, Chus & Ceballos, Lisa Shaw, East Coast Boogie Men just to name some have all been here or in Broward. Coming up there's DJ Dan, Roger S, Bad Boy Bill and one of my fav' DJ/Producer from back home in Chicago will be at Luna very soon...but I don't know if they have annouced who it is so I will keep my mouth closed this time...but he may be in one of the pics in my signature, so lets leave it at that.

Yeah I saw Bear Who at Blue one wednesday, I was very impressed. I also saw Lisa Shaw perform at the Naked Music party at The Marlin. That was one hell of a party! I was honored to ask her to autograph my vinyl copy of her awesome track 'Always'. I also saw Lee Burridge at Nerve and I'm planning to check out DJ Dan on friday and Hipp-E + Halo in Orlando on Nov. 14th! I also saw dj Aladdin and B-Side spin at Lounge 16 a couple of times. They are both really good. And dj Three at the Marlin was quite good as well. I go out about 6 times a week. I spend about 4 hours at home daily on average. I turn my tv on for about 1 hour a day.

I will definitely check out the dj's you mentioned, lyrik. Unfortunately, I didn't go to see Lego.

But I suppose that if we were to talk about house, proper house and its roots, I would have to say that Danny Tenaglia, MAW, Francois K., Cevin Fisher, Tony Humphries, Celeda, Tedd Patterson, Frankie Feliciano, Frankie Knuckles, David Mancuso and Larry Levan were pretty much there and no one can deny their omnipresence in house.

I wouldn't say that Deep Dish isn't house, it is, it's just much more progressive, more evolved and in my opinion progressive house hasn't always "progressed" in the right direction.

Yeah I saw Bear Who at Blue one wednesday, I was very impressed. I also saw Lisa Shaw perform at the Naked Music party at The Marlin. That was one hell of a party! I was honored to ask her to autograph my vinyl copy of her awesome track 'Always'. I also saw Lee Burridge at Nerve and I'm planning to check out DJ Dan on friday and Hipp-E + Halo in Orlando on Nov. 14th! I also saw dj Aladdin and B-Side spin at Lounge 16 a couple of times. They are both really good. And dj Three at the Marlin was quite good as well. I go out about 6 times a week. I spend about 4 hours at home daily on average. I turn my tv on for about 1 hour a day.

I will definitely check out the dj's you mentioned, lyrik. Unfortunately, I didn't go to see Lego.

But I suppose that if we were to talk about house, proper house and its roots, I would have to say that Danny Tenaglia, MAW, Francois K., Cevin Fisher, Tony Humphries, Celeda, Tedd Patterson, Frankie Feliciano, Frankie Knuckles, David Mancuso and Larry Levan were pretty much there and no one can deny their omnipresence in house.

I wouldn't say that Deep Dish isn't house, it is, it's just much more progressive, more evolved and in my opinion progressive house hasn't always "progressed" in the right direction.

you sound like such a know it all :no: newbee's do that kind of shit.