Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tech advice

rudeboywarrior

i am looking for the best mobile package for digital audio work, i use cubase for production and i was if anyone had any good knowledge on which systems work best for it. i use alot of vst's therefore alot cpu usage. i am looking at alienware i know its great for gaming but with a little tweeking could it be good for dig audio??? thanks for any help in advance

Originally posted by rudeboywarrior

i am looking for the best mobile package for digital audio work, i use cubase for production and i was if anyone had any good knowledge on which systems work best for it. i use alot of vst's therefore alot cpu usage. i am looking at alienware i know its great for gaming but with a little tweeking could it be good for dig audio??? thanks for any help in advance

most notebooks nowadays are great for mobil digital audio work. i've done 2 remixes while on the road in europe on my little HP 800 Mhz machine (which is also my final scratch laptop). alienware is a great way to go. They are actually starting to do digital audio workstations as well, so they know what's up. their notebooks are a bit bulky. but i hear that they are starting to make some more compact notebooks. i think the most important thing is what digital audio card you're doing to be using. a lot of companies are making excellent digital sound cards for notebooks now. if you need any more help, please feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by stryke303

most notebooks nowadays are great for mobil digital audio work. i've done 2 remixes while on the road in europe on my little HP 800 Mhz machine (which is also my final scratch laptop). alienware is a great way to go. They are actually starting to do digital audio workstations as well, so they know what's up. their notebooks are a bit bulky. but i hear that they are starting to make some more compact notebooks. i think the most important thing is what digital audio card you're doing to be using. a lot of companies are making excellent digital sound cards for notebooks now. if you need any more help, please feel free to PM me.

thanks greg, i use m-audio at home what would you rec. for mobile?

Alienware's systems are decent...being they need to pump a lot of horsepower for gaming, they usually have gobs of RAM and a decent CPU.

To do audio work, I'd recommend the Thinkpad line from IBM...T series or A series... www.thinkpad.com ... at least shoot for a Pentium-IV mobile 2.00 Ghz, get at least 512 MB of RAM, and 80 gigs of HD space...obviously make sure a CD-RW/DVD-RW is on board.

Originally posted by pod

Alienware's systems are decent...being they need to pump a lot of horsepower for gaming, they usually have gobs of RAM and a decent CPU.

To do audio work, I'd recommend the Thinkpad line from IBM...T series or A series... www.thinkpad.com ... at least shoot for a Pentium-IV mobile 2.00 Ghz, get at least 512 MB of RAM, and 80 gigs of HD space...obviously make sure a CD-RW/DVD-RW is on board.

thanks Pod, helpful in this department as always...

what exactly are you doing?

i might be able to help since "this is what i do"

My father just asked me to set him up as he is a mobile dj and wanted to carry something lighter...so i bought him:

Sony Vaio note book

midiman usb quattro 4in 4out

180 gig glyph drive usb & firewire

Native Instruments Traktor

Now i know this set up is for mobile dj...but it would do very well for mobile music production...the question is do yo need inputs/ outputs or are you just programming beats?

In the studio i work at i just hooked up a setup for our accoustic guitar session player:

Apple titanium

180 gig glyph firewire drive

Digi Design M Box 2 in 2 out

AKG 414 Mic

Perfect set up in this case cause the mbox contains pro tools which makes tracking transfer into out HD system easy. She can do a portable recording anwhere she is and just send us the protools session disc(s)

let me know your setup and i'd be glad to help

SS:D

Originally posted by stryke303

my pleasure. you may want to give the Echo line a try...

https://www.makingwavesaudio.com/prodidividual.asp?Manufacturer=ECHO