Clubplanet Nightlife Community

my official hungover Priviledge review

drsatan

once upon a time deep in the land of hip hop on south beach...................

the one thought that kept runnng thru my mind was...this is like the mix and shadow....small place..incredible vibe...all the people were really into the music...not walking back and forth trying to look cool.

the place was packed and stayed packed until i left..intimate room..but with a nice sized dancefloor...the f'n sound system was bangin. chris liebing is what it means to be a DJ. you can tell he really loves the music he plays..he had such a vibe going with the crowd. unlike other "big time" DJs that stand there and seem almost bored with the music that they play...he was giving the crowd high fives..awesome...and technically speaking-the guy was out of control...he must have played over 100 songs in 3 hours...not one wasted second.....

i have two complaints...they need to fix the A/C...it was hot as fuck..(ha..just like shadow)...and they need to get rid of that rude, arrogant cunt at the front door...what a fucking bitch-as many people that were there.-she drove a lot of people away pissed off.

ok, editorial time.

i heard space was dead...makes me think...clubspace was the introduction of the "superclub"... with many advantages-large venue, superstar DJs, high tech lights and sound...but with many disadvantages, that, if not mananaged could be a downfall.

a couple of years ago, the smaller venues, with the intimate, loyal crowds were the norm here..space opened and realistically the only places that ever did any significant business as a club after that were crobar and to a lesser extent level. space has ridden a huge level of success, but, one would think that, due to the recent low turnouts, people want something different.

could it be that space lost touch with creating that loyal audience?

is everyone turned off by the whole "were closing" thing? is it that so much effort was put into the tiestos and the pvds..that noone shows up when its not one of them?...

i loved the old space..as big as it was, there was a sense of intimacy there....since the new space opened-i just havent felt the vibe. too many people seemingly walking back and forth..kind of like lost fish in a bowl of light and sound.

one thing i know is that i had a blast last night...

:)

Originally posted by drsatan

once upon a time deep in the land of hip hop on south beach...................

the one thought that kept runnng thru my mind was...this is like the mix and shadow....small place..incredible vibe...all the people were really into the music...not walking back and forth trying to look cool.

the place was packed and stayed packed until i left..intimate room..but with a nice sized dancefloor...the f'n sound system was bangin. chris liebing is what it means to be a DJ. you can tell he really loves the music he plays..he had such a vibe going with the crowd. unlike other "big time" DJs that stand there and seem almost bored with the music that they play...he was giving the crowd high fives..awesome...and technically speaking-the guy was out of control...he must have played over 100 songs in 3 hours...not one wasted second.....

i have two complaints...they need to fix the A/C...it was hot as fuck..(ha..just like shadow)...and they need to get rid of that rude, arrogant cunt at the front door...what a fucking bitch-as many people that were there.-she drove a lot of people away pissed off.

ok, editorial time.

i heard space was dead...makes me think...clubspace was the introduction of the "superclub"... with many advantages-large venue, superstar DJs, high tech lights and sound...but with many disadvantages, that, if not mananaged could be a downfall.

a couple of years ago, the smaller venues, with the intimate, loyal crowds were the norm here..space opened and realistically the only places that ever did any significant business as a club after that were crobar and to a lesser extent level. space has ridden a huge level of success, but, one would think that, due to the recent low turnouts, people want something different.

could it be that space lost touch with creating that loyal audience?

is everyone turned off by the whole "were closing" thing? is it that so much effort was put into the tiestos and the pvds..that noone shows up when its not one of them?...

i loved the old space..as big as it was, there was a sense of intimacy there....since the new space opened-i just havent felt the vibe. too many people seemingly walking back and forth..kind of like lost fish in a bowl of light and sound.

one thing i know is that i had a blast last night...

:)

I believe u should always be hang over to write your thoughts. I'm impressed.

One thing I know, the answers to your questions don't lie in cyberspace, they lie in the mofo dancefloor. The 600 block looked like the area in front of Rumi. And the girls would have been prayed for, even at Prive.

Once again, music is the answer. No super speaker. No super lights. No super marketing. No super blue shirt.

The Privilege peeps got $$$. We'll see who has the biggest lungs. It is satisfying to see things done right in terms of promotion, at least for the opening.

Welcome to clubbing 2004 style.

OK....I got there around 2AM. Nick was outside and we were in without a problem.

We entered via a stairway that took us directly upstairs (without handrails...anyone hear of the building code?). At the top of the stairs you runsmack into the bathrooms....not very pretty. The place is as basic as it gets. Black ceiling and white walls. Upstairs looks like someone's unfurnished apartment. We get to the bar upstairs and the bartender speaks no English...always a bad thing for the mono-lingual. We ordered a round of drinks and I am not kidding that it took him 20 minutes to make the drinks, take my money and make change. He must have been confused because he charged me $65 for the round but only rang in $12 in the register. So we then check out the "patio" area. It's tiny but kind of cool. We take the back stairs down to the first floor (again, no handrails) and are met bysome serious heat. NO AIR....AT ALL!! Place was steamy. Music was real good...techno. People were into it and the vibe was strong. We stayed about an hour and a half before the heat became unbearable then went to Crobar.

Overall I break the place down like this:

The Place - C - very basic. Looks like they did it on a small budget. No decor to speak of and very bad flow.

The Music - A - Chris was playing hard and really interacting with the crowd. Dancefloor was going off.

The Service - F - Worst bartenders I have experienced in a long time.

The Sound - B- - Not bad...Looks like EAW KF series. Adequate for the room and reasonably clear with decent bottom.

The Staff - C - It was opening night so we'll cut them some slack.

The Location - F - Walking in and out of there with all the thugs, kids, people trying to get you into their shitty clubs, bums and every other low-life in the area was insane.

I wish them luck but it would take Jesus behind the decks to get me back there.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ogmiami

OK....I got there around 2AM. Nick was outside and we were in without a problem.

We entered via a stairway that took us directly upstairs (without handrails...anyone hear of the building code?). At the top of the stairs you runsmack into the bathrooms....not very pretty. The place is as basic as it gets. Black ceiling and white walls. Upstairs looks like someone's unfurnished apartment. We get to the bar upstairs and the bartender speaks no English...always a bad thing for the mono-lingual. We ordered a round of drinks and I am not kidding that it took him 20 minutes to make the drinks, take my money and make change. He must have been confused because he charged me $65 for the round but only rang in $12 in the register. So we then check out the "patio" area. It's tiny but kind of cool. We take the back stairs down to the first floor (again, no handrails) and are met bysome serious heat. NO AIR....AT ALL!! Place was steamy. Music was real good...techno. People were into it and the vibe was strong. We stayed about an hour and a half before the heat became unbearable then went to Crobar.

Overall I break the place down like this:

The Place - C - very basic. Looks like they did it on a small budget. No decor to speak of and very bad flow.

The Music - A - Chris was playing hard and really interacting with the crowd. Dancefloor was going off.

The Service - F - Worst bartenders I have experienced in a long time.

The Sound - B- - Not bad...Looks like EAW KF series. Adequate for the room and reasonably clear with decent bottom.

The Staff - C - It was opening night so we'll cut them some slack.

The Location - F - Walking in and out of there with all the thugs, kids, people trying to get you into their shitty clubs, bums and every other low-life in the area was insane.

I wish them luck but it would take Jesus behind the decks to get me back there.

good review..

place will fail big time... and i haven't even gone..

first 3 rules in realestate

1. location

2. location

3. location

or as woody boyd once said" dr krane, thats only one rule":laugh:

service was better earlier in the night .. but i was downstairs most of the night in the madness .. liebing was definitely totally on .. i won't be there every week but let's hope this does work .. i would love to have a decent venue to go to hear quality music from dj's we dont' get to see often every couple of weeks ... armando was truly amazing .. people have yet to mention that :\

No, I didn't refer to Privilege as the future of clubbing alone. I referred to the size of the venue. And the talent.

If you realized, last nite the base of the crowd came for the place's name. Yes, half the crowd was from Cali, Colombia, where there was a Privilege for years. The ones who introduced electronic music down there. Cali, the land of the hottest women for those who have been there.

There are lots of things to change in the place. Non of those peeps cared. They went out to party. They didn't expect confetti falling from the ceilings. They don't need it.

Huge improvement on the traffic on that block. From F to B- , based on what I've seen in the past three months. It was a flashback to prior years in that block. Only a flashback.

Last. I was working down the block. Walked to Privilege three times. This is three different views I got: of the block, the entrance, the club, the crowd.

Guest saleen351

columbian chicks the hottest? Sorry bro, i banged a few columbian whores in miami and man they all have attitude problems and don't look that good. The hot chick argument ends with mid town manhattan....

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by marcodavalos

U must be kidding me. :laugh: :laugh:

Next.

have you ever been to bryant park on a nice day? do you know where bryant park is? NYC is the capital of the world, music, fashion, news, financial and yes hot women who know how to dress..

a few points to add or elaborate on...

there were no good looking women there ;) your average no class punk ass thug who likes to harass the girls out on the town has no place there

the location of the bathrooms is inherent in the bldg... they did a lot of renovations, but not down to the plumbing

DJ crowd interaction is great, nice placement of DJ booth

the door staff was very rude and condascending as if they were trying to be even worse than Space, I never have much of a problem at Space though, since I'm an adult and at least they recognize that, but at Privilege they really had no clue how to treat a 30+ sobe local

someone told me he got charged $11 for Absolut Cranberry, I would assume the gratuity is included

need some couches upstairs, not just to sit down, but also the feeling up there is very empty

I don't know what happened to the A/C downstairs, I avoided it for a couple of hours and missed most of CL, but later on I went down again after it had cleared out a little (but still packed) and it was fairly cool, so maybe the system just got over-whelmed

they definitely need to install a nitrogen blast system

Sound is great, not the most high end system but more than adequate

missed Armando's opening, but after that they sent him upstairs to play the rest of the night with lots of nice tribal/prog house & stuff, inspite of problems with a dodgy Cd player, no slip mats (you got to bring your own these days!)

Bero Cerruti was freakin' amazing, mad skills, scratching and all, and very much connected with the crowd, smiling and having fun, watch out for this guy, sobe's newest resident is set to blow them all away

Nice to see Stryke hanging out there early, said he'll be playing there in January, would have been sooner but he'll be traveling next month

the 600 block crowd was never an issue, I really can't understand why people are so hung up about that...

also the no-re-entry policy is stupid

the party kicked ass- i luv techno! i thought the club was nice compared to how it was before and the patio was really cool too- the weather was perfect to be outside. They need more bartenders, i thought all the girls there looked pretty hot, the sound was awesum inside, the need to put a couple fans inside and then they will be perfect :D

to the cp peeps that were there- u guys rock! hope to party with u all again :hat:

MURDER WAS THE BASS! OMFG!

i loved the music Chris was playing

i couldnt STAND the lack of AC in the room downstairs....

so i left the club within 30 mins of trying to get a drink....

*****they need to do something about the stairways (i nearly fell as people kept pushing their way through)......

these people running Privelege may have the best of intentions but they seriously need to do something to make this club work (decor, safety and a proper flow around the venue), and most of all --- AC

didnt see you there norah .. good seeing you on friday though .. :)

yeah it was hot as fuck .. but the music was spot on .. bottle of water was good .. specially with the tall glass of ice.

well if you guys have any energy ill be at jazid tonight .. special guest steven caicedo (stereo montreal/nyc/protonradio)

Club was great. Music was.......woooow. I thought liebing would have played a more chilled set but I was way off. He never let up. Crazy mofo. People were into it:) . Dancing all night, screaming, jumping. Im glad to see the club was packed. I really want to see this club make it. Finally get a little variety, musically.

Armando = opening was dope. great tracks and mixing. however, the dj that closed the night .......I was not feeling it. Chill out on the scratching and efx. Or practice a little more. Oh well, it was his first night there. better luck next time.

DECOR ...... whooo cares. not me. I thought it was fine. keep it basic

LIGHTS ....... I thought they were good. just dont know about the guy controlling em

MUSIC ........ what else could you ask for, bring on the Misstress. Shes gonna destroy that place. Acquavive:cool: , Cristian Smith, etc.

HOSPITALITY ..... ok. got in w/ nooo problems. 2 bacardi & cran=$24 that hurts. Ill stick w heineken for $6

All in all, great night. Ill definitly be supporting this. Hope everybody else does the same

I just expect more when I go out...especially at an opening. The place looks like they spent $12 on renovations. The only thing that was good in that place last night was the music and the vibe.

Not to mention that I ordered 3 Coronas, 2 Grey Goose, 2 shots of Patron and the bill was $65. They're charging Opium prices and giving people shitty service and very little else. To me the place looked like someone's apartment......someone who had just moved in.

Also I parked a few blocks away and had to run the gauntlet to get in there. Every five feet there are scumbags offering free drinks to come into their club instead and there are full-on gang bangers everywhere yelling shit at my wife...no fucking thanks.

I went to Crobar after Privilege and the difference was night and day. The place was fitted out with wild visuals, the music was great, the sound was amazing, the place is beautiful, the vibe was off the hook, the drinks were cheaper, the staff was professional...and it wasn't even their opening.

I'm sorry to be the one to say it but I won't be going back. There are many other places I can go to hear good music and actually feel comfortable.

I had to run that same gauntlet on the way in. I came with 2 friends of mine (guy and a girl), and the thugs converged on the girl like seniors on the early bird special at the Country Buffet (south park reference hehe)...we actually walked in the middle of the road to avoid that mess.

The neighborhood needs work for sure.

I didn't buy any drinks when I was at the club, so I never got an indication of pricing...but if they're charging Opium prices, that's a bit out of hand!