Clubplanet Nightlife Community

U.S. considers turning scooters into war robots

jamiroguy1

U.S. considers turning scooters into war robots (full article)

NEW YORK — It's called the Segway Human Transporter, but the Pentagon is drafting the two-wheeled scooter as part of a plan to develop battlefield robots that think on their own and communicate with troops.

The program is still in the research phase, so the self-balancing scooters aren't expected to report to boot camp anytime soon.

So far, university researchers armed with Pentagon funding have programmed Segway robots that can open doors, avoid obstacles, and chase soccer balls -- all without human control.

Researchers say potential applications for the robots include performing search missions on the battlefield, transporting injured soldiers to safety, or following humans around while hauling their gear.

Dean Kamen, the Segway's inventor, says he had no qualms about enlisting his brainchild into the military.

"You build a car and it can either be used as an ambulance, or it can drive your troops around," he said. "My personal reason for liking (this program) is we would love to get more Segways at universities. The more we have our technology among the tech world, particularly the young geeks, it could only help us."

Full Article

I find this a disturbing. :blank:

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

U.S. considers turning scooters into war robots (full article)

NEW YORK — It's called the Segway Human Transporter, but the Pentagon is drafting the two-wheeled scooter as part of a plan to develop battlefield robots that think on their own and communicate with troops.

The program is still in the research phase, so the self-balancing scooters aren't expected to report to boot camp anytime soon.

So far, university researchers armed with Pentagon funding have programmed Segway robots that can open doors, avoid obstacles, and chase soccer balls -- all without human control.

Researchers say potential applications for the robots include performing search missions on the battlefield, transporting injured soldiers to safety, or following humans around while hauling their gear.

Dean Kamen, the Segway's inventor, says he had no qualms about enlisting his brainchild into the military.

"You build a car and it can either be used as an ambulance, or it can drive your troops around," he said. "My personal reason for liking (this program) is we would love to get more Segways at universities. The more we have our technology among the tech world, particularly the young geeks, it could only help us."

Full Article

I find this a disturbing. :blank:

So do I.