Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does anyone here work for the fed gov't?

theblueangel

Originally posted by pgiddy

I'd rather be homeless then work for the gov't. The ONLY good thing is the schedule.....

not true!

great schedule - every other friday off!

lots o' vacation time

terrific benefits

kick ass retirement plan

good salary with constant raises

dont get me wrong. i dont think its the ideal place to work. but its not so bad either. it gives me enough money, time, and vacation to do the things i really want to do, like travel to NYC often and go to Red on thursday nights. ;)

Originally posted by silvershoes

not true!

great schedule - every other friday off!

lots o' vacation time

terrific benefits

kick ass retirement plan

good salary with constant raises

dont get me wrong. i dont think its the ideal place to work. but its not so bad either. it gives me enough money, time, and vacation to do the things i really want to do, like travel to NYC often and go to Red on thursday nights. ;)

I repeat the only good thing is the schedule........a good retirement plan you can get anywhere, whether through your job or your own Roth IRA. Constant raises, bwhahhaahh, what are they up to now a whole 2% every 4 yrs. But hey to each is own, for some people the gov't is a great place to work;) Most, not all and in no way am I implying you, but most gov't workers take advantage of their job, IMO......

I repeat the only good thing is the schedule........a good retirement plan you can get anywhere, whether through your job or your own Roth IRA. Constant raises, bwhahhaahh, what are they up to now a whole 2% every 4 yrs. But hey to each is own, for some people the gov't is a great place to work;) Most, not all and in no way am I implying you, but most gov't workers take advantage of their job, IMO......

but the government provides matching on retirement - which means about an extra $200 free retirement money a month for me.

and raises are actually about 4% every 6 six months to a year, not including the 4% raise we get every January for cost of living.

my agency is not a typical government agency, but i would guess you are right in that many government workers take advantage of thier jobs...

i've never worked in the private sector. why is it better?

but the government provides matching on retirement - which means about an extra $200 free retirement money a month for me.

and raises are actually about 4% every 6 six months to a year, not including the 4% raise we get every January for cost of living.

my agency is not a typical government agency, but i would guess you are right in that many government workers take advantage of thier jobs...

i've never worked in the private sector. why is it better?

news flash, most companies do matching 401(k). The cost of living raise sounds nice though. Does every single employee get that, no matter what??

news flash, most companies do matching 401(k). The cost of living raise sounds nice though. Does every single employee get that, no matter what??

i get a 100% match and our stock just split, my 77 shares are now 154 . . .

if you are/were in sales, you'll never want to work for the gov't . . .

Originally posted by eggmok

i get a 100% match and our stock just split, my 77 shares are now 154 . . .

if you are/were in sales, you'll never want to work for the gov't . . .

wow you must be worth at least a thousand bucks by now.....movin on upppp. Just imagine how many redbulls you can buy now......I think I still owe you one

wow you must be worth at least a thousand bucks by now.....movin on upppp. Just imagine how many redbulls you can buy now......I think I still owe you one

i'm not complaining cause our stock closed at 42 and i've only been in it for 7 months . . .

my cais 401 k is another story . . .

thats cool about the matching, I didnt know that. So for every dollar you put in, they match it one for one?

And yes, every single employee of the government in DC gets a cost of living increase each January. It varies in amount, but is usually 3-4%.

oh good!

Question 1

How long does it take for them to reply if you send in your application? I heard it can take as long as 6 months. When I apply for private sector jobs, I hear something within a day or 2.

Question 2

What is the difference between secret and top secret clearance?

I already have secret clearance and they had to dig through my closet. Luckily I don't have anything since I try to be a good citizen. What else would the possibly look for? Someone told me that for top secret they follow you around for a month. True or False?

Which is better? Most everyone I ever asked seems to say fed gov't since it appears to be more secure. There are no massive layoff's which you see in huge companies like MCI, Motorola, etc.

many of us do - including me

you're joking right?

if not, why?

I would rather work anywhere than be homeless. At least you would still get a paycheck, if you're homeless, you get nothing.

At least the gov't is in DC , not VA. I dislike VA, it's so republican. MD is alright since it's above the mason dixon line.

I'd rather be homeless then work for the gov't. The ONLY good thing is the schedule.....

Originally posted by theblueangel

oh good!

Question 1

How long does it take for them to reply if you send in your application? I heard it can take as long as 6 months. When I apply for private sector jobs, I hear something within a day or 2.

Question 2

I already have secret clearance and they had to dig through my closet. Luckily I don't have anything since I try to be a good citizen. What else would the possibly look for? Someone told me that for top secret they follow you around for a month. True or False?

Which is better? Most everyone I ever asked seems to say fed gov't since it appears to be more secure. There are no massive layoff's which you see in huge companies like MCI, Motorola, etc.

you heard right. it can take up to six months to get a reply from the government. That is a big difference from the private sector - everything in the government moves very slowly. However, things move much quicker if you have a contact in the agency you are applying to.

secret vs top secret clearance - there is much more work involved with a top secreat clearance. No, they dont follow you around for a month. But they do go and talk to everyone you have known in the past 10 years - your employers, your friends, your neighbors, your entire world. if you already have a secret clearance, getting a top secret one shouldnt be too hard.

I don't work for the government but our client is government so I had to go through all the hoops to get the job.

As far as clearance, if you already have secret, getting top secret is just a matter of paperwork. Some people need to take a polygraph test, drug test, etc. You might also have to report any time you spend abroad (where, why, with who, etc etc). But if you have no skeletons in your closet, you should be fine. It just takes forever for them to go through the paperwork. Good luck!

And gov't did go through some layoffs, they were just nowhere near as bas as the private sector (especially technology).

you're joking right?

if not, why?

I would rather work anywhere than be homeless. At least you would still get a paycheck, if you're homeless, you get nothing.

At least the gov't is in DC , not VA. I dislike VA, it's so republican. MD is alright since it's above the mason dixon line.

someone missed a few too many geography classes........

NO I'm not joking, being homeless isn't that bad, they always make it seem worse the it is.......

oh good!

Question 1

Question 2

BTW, I heard they follow you around for at least a month, maybe two ddepending on what they see. Also watch what you throw out, they will check your garbage and tap your phones, besides that they don't really do much but push some papers back and forth........