Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hatred, European-style

igloo

Hatred, European-style

Clifford D. May

December 4, 2003

In the wake of September 11th, people of good will were naturally concerned that innocent Muslims might be scapegoated

But in Europe, something else happened: anti-Semitism surged.

For example, in recent days a Jewish school near Paris was firebombed and two synagogues in Istanbul were attacked by terrorist truck bombers. A member of the German Parliament suggested that the Jews bear collective responsibility for atrocities committed by communists during the Russian Revolution of 1917. Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis said of Israel: “This small nation is the root of evil.â€

To its credit, the European Union commissioned a study of anti-Jewish hatred, incitement and violence, its causes and possible cures.

To its shame, the watchdog group that undertook the study – the European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Xenophobia (EUMC) -- decided not to publish it.

Why not? According to Britian's Financial Times the reason was simple: The 112-page study, “Manifestations of anti-Semitism in the European Union,†found that anti-Semitism isn't just for Nazis anymore. In particular, EUMC brass feared that one of the report's key conclusion -- that Muslim and pro-Palestinian groups have generated a new wave of hatred -- could be “inflammatory.â€

The EUMC study has now been leaked and is available on a number of websites. It makes for disturbing reading – even though it neglects what may be a major source of Judeo-phobia in an increasingly interconnected world: the propaganda now tolerated and sometimes encouraged even in moderate Arab and Muslim countries.

For instance, both Egyptian and Syrian television have broadcast series based on the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion,†a forged document that originated in Czarist Russia and which maintains that a Jewish cabal is taking over the world. Hizbollah TV has been broadcasting a dramatization showing orthodox Jews slitting the throat of a gentile child, and then draining his blood to use in the making of Passover bread which they greedily devour. The belief that Jews were responsible for 9/11 is common, even as Osama bin Laden dolls – complete with replicas of the burning World Trade Towers – are sold on the streets of such cities as Ramallah.

In Europe, expressions of anti-Semitism tend to be not quite that blatant. But some people may be surprised by the EUMC report's conclusion that “anti-Semitic activities†are now being perpetrated as much by those on the far left of the political spectrum as by those on the far right.

In such nations as France, Italy and Sweden, the study notes, “sections of the political left and Arab-Muslim groups unified†to organize demonstrations at which “anti-Semitic slogans could be heard and placards seen.â€

“In the extreme left-wing scene,†the study adds, “anti-Semitic remarks were to be found mainly in the context of pro-Palestinian and anti-globalization rallies and in newspaper articles using anti-Semitic stereotypes in their criticism of Israel.â€

In Greece, by contrast, it's still mostly militants on the far right who desecrate Jewish cemeteries. Similarly, in Spain “the traditionally strong presence of neo-Nazi groups was evident,†and such groups have collaborated with “people with a radical Islamist background†to commit a “series of attacks.â€

While those on the far left interpose the Star of David with swastikas to suggest that Jews and Nazis are identical, those on the far right use swastika graffiti in the more traditional manner of an implied threat to Jews. The report adds: “The German language itself is used in non-German speaking countries -- expressions such as ‘Juden raus!'[Jews out!] --so as to refer affirmatively to the [Nazi] persecution of Jews.â€

The study finds that anti-Semitism has become increasingly common also among members of Europe's “peace movement,†and, for good measure is sometimes “very closely tied†to anti-Americanism.â€

The report talks, too, about “elite or salon anti-Semitism,†increasingly found in the more politically mainstream European media, on European campuses and, of course, at social gatherings of “the chattering classes†where, the study observes, it is “en vogue to take an anti-Israeli stance.â€

Even those without political convictions participate in what might be called recreational Jew-bashing. “Young people without any specific anti-Semitic prejudices†may engage in “anti-Semitism on the streets,†the study notes, “just for fun.†Other cases where “young people were the perpetrators could be classified as ‘thrill hate crimes,' a well-known type of xenophobic attack.â€

In sum, European Jew-hatred has become widespread, and sympathy for such bigotry appears to be growing. “Opinion polls prove that in some European countries a large percentage of the population harbors anti-Semitic attitudes and views,†the report points out.

Conventional wisdom used to hold that the experience of the Holocaust had created antibodies to anti-Semitism in Europe. The EUMC study demonstrates that that view was naïve. What treatment is there now for this ancient virus? The authors urge that, as a start, European authorities “acknowledge at the highest level the extraordinary dangers posed by anti-Semitic violence.â€

But, again, that recommendation comes from a report that European authorities commissioned – but which they then determined should never see the light of day.

anti-semitism is deplorable.

however, I feel part of the problem could be the way that the state of Israel and those elites in the media and politics in America and Israel, and other places, so closely link the actions of the state of Israel with the Jewish religion.

the actions of the Israeli state against the palestinians are more widely known in Europe than in america, especially amongst the peace movement.

those in the peace movement would deplore any physical attacks on Jews, just as they deplore any form of racism or descrimination based upon religion.

I manged to tell a Jewish man, who works at the Knesset that I didn't believe in the theory of basing the founding of a state on historical texts or around a single religion, and I didn't get called anti-semitic, in fact we engaged in an englightening and entertaining discussion in which I understood the position of the average Israeli a lot more than in the past.

If we want to talk about hatred I'm sure we could equally discuss the treatment of racial minorities, and those on the wrong side of the poverty line in America.

I don't quite know what you're getting at with this article igloo, pointing out that europe does have problems, but this isn't the first or last issue, and it's probably not the most pressing, I am sure that Jews in Israel are in far more physical danger than Jews in mainland europe. How many instances of suicide bombings against jews in Europe have their been? not that many.

this for me is the greatest irony of all of this, in terms of danger to jews it seems that the average israeli jew has more to fear than the average jew anywhere else in the world.

without being given any details on WHO carried out the anti-semitic attacks, and why - were they drunk skinheads or pre planned attacks by athiests, or perhaps part of a campaign by pro palestinian groups, it's a bit hard to know for sure what the solution to this 'increased' anti-semitism is.

also without giving us any figures, comparing anti-semitic instances vs other racist incidents over a number of years I find the article less than illuminating. I will however seek out the report to give a read.

"If we want to talk about hatred I'm sure we could equally discuss the treatment of racial minorities, and those on the wrong side of the poverty line in America."

Couldn't resist, could you?....

"the actions of the Israeli state against the palestinians are more widely known in Europe than in america, especially amongst the peace movement"

Nah, you are not a condescending, elitist blowhard............and plain fucking dumb, considering that the author makes an excellent point as to why your elite " peace movement" may lean one way

jerkoff

well can you tell me how many refugees in camps there are in palestine?

how many were forcibly moved away when Israel was created?

how many russian jewish immigrants came over in the 90s to keep the level of jewish people up?

do you know anything about Ariel Sharon, his past or the way his government operates?

why can't we discuss american racism? do you only want to talk about european racism?

I'm up for discussing how we can combat all forms of racism the world over.

do you want to talk about the number of black Senators. oh wait there are none.

shall we talk about the portrayal of minorities on television and in the movies?

how's about we talk about the murder rate in america in comparison to the rest of the world?

why don't we talk about the real elites of the world, the 240 + male billionaires who have more power than many countries in the world.

why don't we talk about the relationship between lockheed martin and the US state.

what about Israli racism against the Palestinians, or how the language used in the media over a number of years can help subtly mould opinions and pre-conceptions in people the world over...

the author at a key point does the subtle thing of swapping 'anti-israeli' and 'anti-semitic'.

this is a telling detail methinks...

Originally posted by marksimons

well can you tell me how many refugees in camps there are in palestine?

how many were forcibly moved away when Israel was created?

how many russian jewish immigrants came over in the 90s to keep the level of jewish people up?

do you know anything about Ariel Sharon, his past or the way his government operates?

why can't we discuss american racism? do you only want to talk about european racism?

I'm up for discussing how we can combat all forms of racism the world over.

do you want to talk about the number of black Senators. oh wait there are none.

shall we talk about the portrayal of minorities on television and in the movies?

how's about we talk about the murder rate in america in comparison to the rest of the world?

why don't we talk about the real elites of the world, the 240 + male billionaires who have more power than many countries in the world.

why don't we talk about the relationship between lockheed martin and the US state.

what about Israli racism against the Palestinians, or how the language used in the media over a number of years can help subtly mould opinions and pre-conceptions in people the world over...

:zzz: :zzz:

you've given me that reply three times now... getting a little tired...

http://www.un.org/unrwa/refugees/camp-profiles.html

Rafah4.jpg

jenin7.jpg

Gaza Elementary "B" Coeducational School

20 February 2002

Four classrooms were damaged when an Israeli bomb hit the Gaza police headquarters compound on 19 February 2002. A second bomb hit the roof of one school building and landed without exploding in the courtyard. Debris and bomb fragments were thrown over a wide area of the school and into the adjacent Al-Nour Centre for the Visually Impaired.

co-edB3.jpg

co-edB2.jpg

co-edB2.jpg

do you understand that criticism, even very strong criticism does not necessarily mean that the criticisor wants to destroy what they are critical of?

just because I criticise israel and american policy does not mean I want these countries destroyed, or brought 'down' in the vague way you chant...

you think the policies of Israel at the moment are going to help construct a long lasting peaceful settlement in the area? do you think american attitudes are helping?

The Israeli govt is in a bind - they can't integrate the palestinians as citizens AND stay a democracy because they'll soon be made a minority. But they can't let them have their own statehood because that means that all those precious settlements will have to be dismantled and that precious god-given tract of land will no longer be theirs. So, best answer...keep the Pals opressed until they either move away, or commit more terrorist attacks, in which case the oppression can increase, thus leading to more exodus.

the problem is there, as in the uk the us and many other countries, there is a gap between what the public wants - peace and security, no more fighting, verses what the public want.

the israeli people would support a two state solution and the getting rid of illegal settlements, but no doubt we'll get into wrangling over what borders to use.

however, the public on both sides want peace more than their leaders it seems.

need to take a closer look at this proposed geneva thing...

Originally posted by marksimons

you think the policies of Israel at the moment are going to help construct a long lasting peaceful settlement in the area? do you think american attitudes are helping?

Do you think Arafat, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Arab govt's, militant clerics and schools, etc, etc, are helping?

If you want to post pictures of Israel's action (self defense action I may add), that is fine...

But why don't you include picture of innocent men, women, and children being blown up in cafe's or on buses.....

How about a story about Arafat's net worth?

How about a nice little story how Palestinian children are being taught that Israel must be destroyed, not live in co-existence?

How about a little story about the Hamas charter?

As usual, shut the fuck up you one-sided, biased dickhead....

Originally posted by igloo

Hatred, European-style

The EUMC study has now been leaked and is available on a number of websites. It makes for disturbing reading – even though it neglects what may be a major source of Judeo-phobia in an increasingly interconnected world: the propaganda now tolerated and sometimes encouraged even in moderate Arab and Muslim countries.

This supposed "leak" of the actual report offers no confirmation that it is the "real report". With that said all of these websites may be reporting false information.

In Europe, expressions of anti-Semitism tend to be not quite that blatant. But some people may be surprised by the EUMC report's conclusion that “anti-Semitic activities†are now being perpetrated as much by those on the far left of the political spectrum as by those on the far right.

The same can be said about other parts of the world, anti semitism is not exclusive to Europe. The fact that these activities "exists" does not mean they are commonplace and widespread as this article attempts to portray. Tolerance throughout an entire country is impossible, anywhere.

The study finds that anti-Semitism has become increasingly common also among members of Europe's “peace movement,†and, for good measure is sometimes “very closely tied†to anti-Americanism.â€

This statement is an oxymoron and complete bullshit. How can a peace movement involve anti-semitism? Further I do see the correlation to some extent on why peace movement can be tied to anti americanism. Simply because of U.S. hypocritical "peace movement" with the use of this recent war.

igloo i do agree with you anti semitism is a growing feelin in europe recently a greek poet who was receiving a price and fought in world war 2 call israel the center of most of the worlds evils but anti niggerisnm has ben a growing feeling in america for a long time can i too as a persson of color get vanity fair to start writting articles the first time a black is killed by the police will that be 2 much 2 ask? i guess so. now self defensive actions that israel is undertaking is apealing to only the governement of israel many israeli's are now starting to very loudly disagree with their governements foreing policy. as for the palsetinian acts of terrorism they can be compaared to the ones of the french resistance during ww2 but wait no they cant they radical muslims they become attacks against the free world an iinvasion of westernised cultred i bet that hitler would agree with you

Originally posted by willyk

igloo i do agree with you anti semitism is a growing feelin in europe recently a greek poet who was receiving a price and fought in world war 2 call israel the center of most of the worlds evils but anti niggerisnm has ben a growing feeling in america for a long time can i too as a persson of color get vanity fair to start writting articles the first time a black is killed by the police will that be 2 much 2 ask? i guess so. now self defensive actions that israel is undertaking is apealing to only the governement of israel many israeli's are now starting to very loudly disagree with their governements foreing policy. as for the palsetinian acts of terrorism they can be compaared to the ones of the french resistance during ww2 but wait no they cant they radical muslims they become attacks against the free world an iinvasion of westernised cultred i bet that hitler would agree with you

What does Igloo care. He's a racist. You didn't know that?

This thread is retitled "Hatred, Igloo style".