Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar NYC opening reviews...

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

Very mixed reviews...

but i don't think jp spun at exit yet, so i don't think there is enough clubbers to fill

Factory

Exit

Arc

Crobar

Sprite

Avalon

And if were to bet, i'd say JP and exit will rule the after hours again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saleen351

they weren't necessarily "bad" but the reviews i read on other nyc boards, were what i expected. NYC is very segregated when it comes to clubs in regards to what they are into... It's not like miami where we all go to different clubs, up there few ever venture out to a different club. Like the SF heads would never go to ARC and an Exit head would never go to Crobar etc...

So it's all in who was writting the review

As it it is expected from the saleen... never on a positive note... :rolleyes: but,

From what I've read/ heard.. Shit was awesome!!

And not just the reg club groupie saying it... ive heard from seasoned educated clubbers tha are neither exithead or sf head or in any way biased.. but then again i dont usually frequent many guidos or juiceheads or drugged up exit hedz...

Cant wait to go and check it out myself!!

Like i said over there..

NYC Clubbing is BACK baby!!!! :D

peace!

mp3.- :smoke:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by staceyg5

victor calderone and timo mass are the resident dj's

imo, music is not their priority

shocker

whats wrong with VC????

Victor and Timo were easy, since they play the other crobars as well.

This is my opinion, but the way I see crobar operating nowadays is in a safe zone, they're doing what they know works, and brings in the $$$, and not taking risks anymore...if I had 3, maybe 4 venues to support, I'd be playing it safe too. They know that a lot of people (the mainstream crowd), really don't follow DJs, that as long as it is the basic genre they like, they'll go out and spend money...maybe they lose a certain amount of street cred amongst the hardcore clubgoers, but the hardcore clubgoers usually don't spend money...but then again, the hardcore clubgoers won't go, and will find a venue more suited to their tastes...just like down here...aside from Edgar's night, I can't think of any recent events at crobar that have made a stir on here...the core group of clubbers goes to Space and Nerve usually.

This is a review from the NY board:

Words simply cannot describe the experience last night at the Press and Industry Opening Party at Crobar.

It is the most amazing club I have EVER experienced.

It was Studio 54 all over again. Naked people sitting on sofa.s above the floor. Punk Rock dressed girls coming down on high wires from the ceiling.

Bartenders standing on top of the bars dancing.

A guy building a dress on the stage made of paper which by the end of the night took up the whole stage area.

3 rooms all packed to the brim with happy happy faces.

The place was packed beyond belief and I estimated over 6000 people.

The lines were so thick to get in the club that the Police had to shut off both ends of the street.

The lines were from 26 street all the way to 28 street.

Celebrities up the wazoo.

Denzel Washington, P Diddy, J Lo, Beyonce etc etc.

To say that Crobar is what every other club can only strive to be, is a real understatement.

Crobar was exactly what New York needed and I'm sorry but you can forget EVERY other club in New York from this point on.

CROBAR was like nothing I have ever witnessed.

It was a whole show from beginning to end with so much to see at every minute.

Now lets talk about the SOUND SYSTEM. Forget it the system took the fuckin roof off with it's power and feel.

the music was amazing courtesy of Frankie Knuckles.

at times the lound hissing of the CO2 cannons went off and in 5 seconds the room was completly drenched in thick white and very cold air.

The lights at this point made the whole experience unbelievable.

In short my advise is dont miss going to Crobar.

It is what all the other clubs wish they were.

If you are going to the grand opening tonight mysuggestion is to get there early if you want any hope of getting in.

Congratulations CROBAR. you lived up to the hype and surpassed it by miles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I don't know what Saleen was reading but I have spoken to many industry peeps who were there last night and all have said that they were completely blown away by the venue, its staff, sound and everything else. According to the New York Times, the Firemarshall estimated that the crowd was over 10,000 people. Not too bad for a "private" opening.

I've been in the space and even before completion it was amazing. My guess is that they will be a force on the NY scene for a long time.

Congrats to the Crobar crew. Keep it up Kenny and Cal.....

Guest saleen351

Dade, this is NYC not little ole south beach.. No one gives a fuck about an opening private party. The venue gets good reviews, but when push comes to shove, jp and jr own that city....

2 of those clubs will have to go belly up...

Originally posted by saleen351

Dade, this is NYC not little ole south beach.. No one gives a fuck about an opening private party. The venue gets good reviews, but when push comes to shove, jp and jr own that city....

Nick - There's an old saying that goes something like this...

Shut the fuck up you Jersey Guido. You don't know shit and have never even come close to understanding what makes a club successful. You know nothing about NEW YORK and even less about MIAMI.

Now, I'm not sure if that applies to you but.......

Originally posted by ogmiami

Shut the fuck up you Jersey Guido. You don't know shit and have never even come close to understanding what makes a club successful. You know nothing about NEW YORK and even less about MIAMI.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Once the club is "established" though, I think they could take some risks...last year, crobar Miami would book DJs that weren't necessarily famous, and the crowd would be monstorous...promotion does matter obviously...you have to spend money to make money....too many clubs here, and even in New York, expect that word-of-mouth that DJ so-and-so is coming, will be enough promotion...

Originally posted by ogmiami

Oh damn laying the smackdown!

Originally posted by saleen351

In New York nobody ownes anything...just like you said, the crowds are really divided...one or two clubs don't take all the action...

SF has a very specific crowd (eg Space sunrise sessions), so does Arc, so does Centro Fly, and then you have people that jump all over the place (like me I guess, Centro Fly then Vinyl used to be my weekend routine)

At least when I lived there in 2001 JR played to a mostly gay crowd at Earth...maybe it has changed...but I'm not so sure

How is Centro-Fly doing these days? I shot there last year and had a blast...

Club loyalty is so much stronger up there though...you have Factory heads who won't go to Arc, Arc-ites who won't go to Factory, and Exit folk who won't do either...very few people I know hop around the major clubs...

Haven't been to Centro-fly after renovations but their still bringing in a decent line up, their drinks are cheaper and they still have their GBH parties on Saturday. The downside, L.E.S doesn't play there anymore....which was one of the best parties of the week.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by pod

How is Centro-Fly doing these days? I shot there last year and had a blast...

Club loyalty is so much stronger up there though...you have Factory heads who won't go to Arc, Arc-ites who won't go to Factory, and Exit folk who won't do either...very few people I know hop around the major clubs...

DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER....

These fools don't know nyc, they don't understand people don't club hope like they do down here... The centro heads aren't at the factory at 4pm on sunday..etc

Crobar needs to establish it's own crowd or it won't do well. And you can't have two gay clubs, since Jr v will smoke them, you can't have two guido clubs sinc jp will own them, you can't have two jersey club, (which since world closed their isn't a jersey club in nyc) so i think the jersey jocks will come over the bridge again, and you can have a few euro trash clubs, but in nyc, lounges and clubs have shelf lifes of months. I still remember Ohm, it was hot and one day it was gone:(

Yeah I have to agree....there actually TOO many generic big clubs for once in NY.

A place that will fill in for Twilo would do good though...

VC is too local...and too specialized in the new york hard sound....

they need a place that will bring in the euro dj's....but Avalon already does that

bring in the euro DJs and the pace will be packed with people from all walks...can't deny that

Listen to the people who were obviously not around when Gaiten was running 4 mega clubs at once and packing them all out on the weekends.

So don't say that it can't be done. Yes the times have changed but to think a metropolitan area the size of NY/NJ/CT can't support 4 mega-clubs anymore is nuts.

JP is only marginal at best his party is a drug filled guido home with no home anymore. He was kicked out because of the drug fools that hung out there.

VC is trying to do a straight night or mixed whatever you want to call it but he doesnt want a gay night thats why he is doing Saturdays and not Sundays like he has done for ages. Plus he has stated that he wants a mixed crowd.

JR has all the gay people now over at factory on Saturdays into Sundays

Avalon seems to be bringing in quality dj's but thats where you can go if you are a dj follower and only go where your dj's are playing.

Crobar I am sure down the road will bring in bigger name dj's but I don't think they are catering to the "musically knowledgable" does that mean you can't go there and have fun? I think not. I believe the people you are with make the party as much as the dj.

Arc doesn't serve alcohol and their crowd is starting to get pretty ugly there so people will slowly stop going regularly.

Spirit I don't know much about so I can't speak about it but the people I have talked to said they love the idea its fresh new and its for older people not the 21yr old kids.

So I say if you think that an area as big as that can't support those clubs then you are nuts. Its a matter if people have fun at them they will go back.

Just because the music snobs don't like the venue doesn't mean you can't have fun at them with your friends.

I personally like a good dj but most of my friends could care fucking less who is spinning as long as they have fun.

So everyone stop bitching go out have fun go to where you like to go.

Good points, all of them.

A friend of mine and I had a discussion about some of those points last night.

The music snobs won't come out and say it, but they get so pissed off any time one of "their DJs" plays a nice, large venue...their DJ is no longer "underground" or they have sold out...they think that the only good music happens in a black room somewhere with a shitbox Bose sound system and a couple of ADJ par cans for lighting. Not to say good music doesn't happen there, but at the same time, nice venues can have good music too!

I like a good DJ, my friends like good DJs, but I do go to nights where it's just a resident, or maybe a mediocre guest, since I will have a good time. Example, tonight I'm gonna hit up Nerve, even though it's just Tracy Young, Matt Martinez, and Jon...some of my friends will be there, the music will be decent, and I'll have a good time, and then later over to crobar to say hi to Edgar and co.

Overall though, VIP elitism and music snobbery, which is a form of elitism on it's own, are dragging the scene down to a level where alls that will be left is little venues that have to dig between the cushions just to pay for a local DJ...in other words, we'll have Philippio's ideal type of scene!