Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar NYC opening reviews...

Guest saleen351

Originally posted by ogmiami

Nick - There's an old saying that goes something like this...

Shut the fuck up you Jersey Guido. You don't know shit and have never even come close to understanding what makes a club successful. You know nothing about NEW YORK and even less about MIAMI.

Now, I'm not sure if that applies to you but.......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by oldschoolny

So don't say that it can't be done. Yes the times have changed but to think a metropolitan area the size of NY/NJ/CT can't support 4 mega-clubs anymore is nuts.

Crobar I am sure down the road will bring in bigger name dj's but I don't think they are catering to the "musically knowledgable" does that mean you can't go there and have fun? I think not. I believe the people you are with make the party as much as the dj.

So I say if you think that an area as big as that can't support those clubs then you are nuts. Its a matter if people have fun at them they will go back.

Just because the music snobs don't like the venue doesn't mean you can't have fun at them with your friends.

I personally like a good dj but most of my friends could care fucking less who is spinning as long as they have fun.

So everyone stop bitching go out have fun go to where you like to go.

Great post...

The truth is that most of the people who are offering their opinions on the new Crobar in NY and the scene in general have never been in the business and are biased by their personal tastes. The truth is that Crobar is doing the right thing. It is far more important for their success to have a crowd that loves the venue and the party that they throw than it is for them to have the "big DJ" scene.

The clubs that are dependant soley on the Big DJs have the problem of drastically reduced revenue when they have only their residents instead of the big name. Also, there are so many different genres these days and the Big DJ will only appeal to a certain percentage of those looking for a DJ oriented event. Crobar's business is based on the party. When they do bring in the Big DJ it enhances their numbers. But, if they don't have the Big name, they still do great business.

Let's remember who we're dealing with. These guys are pros. Trust them.

Guest saleen351

how many big djs will play exit and sf this year on sat night???

THE ANSWER IS 2! AND TWO ONLY! But you'll lose money, lol....

See in nyc you don't flip flop djs like Space, one dj one club..

Then you have other clubs that try and bring in name after name etc... The name after name thing doesn't work in nyc on a large scale... Exit did it, and it sucked. Before that it was Tsettos and Baez only..

People in nyc don't give a damm about a venue aka arc, nor care about the "cool" party, thats because there is 4097349857349857398457398532485 lounges that fill that market already. The eugens and ohms will alows take that crowd away from the big clubs. and lounges open up so frequently that the club can't substain that crowd. But then again I can see 5000 people a sat night skipping all the hot lounges with the whos who of the social scene so they can hear a sound system and look at a pretty ceiling..

I don't know when the last time everyone has been to NYC but I'll try to fill you guys in.

JP is no longer at Sound Factory. JV is there now.

Arc is being sold in February.

Deep (formerly Ohm) is the new Jersey Spot in NYC

Spirit is the old Twilo

Crobar is the hottest spot in NYC now along with Avalon

Exit is dead and plays hip hop

There are millions upon millions of people in NYC. Everything can do well if promoted right and doesn't become infrested with the same race...

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by promojunkie

I don't know when the last time everyone has been to NYC but I'll try to fill you guys in.

JP is no longer at Sound Factory. JV is there now.

Arc is being sold in February.

Deep (formerly Ohm) is the new Jersey Spot in NYC

Spirit is the old Twilo

Crobar is the hottest spot in NYC now along with Avalon

Exit is dead and plays hip hop

There are millions upon millions of people in NYC. Everything can do well if promoted right and doesn't become infrested with the same race...

ok, well i'll up date you

crobar can't be the hotest spot, its only been open for one night to private guests

and exit has JP now... no hip hop, and they are going to change the name..

They have JP on one night.

And if you have to go to work for Marvesi then you have no pull in that city. He is the most hated person to work for in the club business.

JP was only cool to drugged up kids. He had his nights where he banged it out but he was usually to fucked up himself to have a good night.

Originally posted by saleen351

how many big djs will play exit and sf this year on sat night???

THE ANSWER IS 2! AND TWO ONLY! But you'll lose money, lol....

See in nyc you don't flip flop djs like Space, one dj one club..

Then you have other clubs that try and bring in name after name etc... The name after name thing doesn't work in nyc on a large scale... Exit did it, and it sucked. Before that it was Tsettos and Baez only..

People in nyc don't give a damm about a venue aka arc, nor care about the "cool" party, thats because there is 4097349857349857398457398532485 lounges that fill that market already. The eugens and ohms will alows take that crowd away from the big clubs. and lounges open up so frequently that the club can't substain that crowd. But then again I can see 5000 people a sat night skipping all the hot lounges with the whos who of the social scene so they can hear a sound system and look at a pretty ceiling..

Saleen, I believe I covered your opinion in an earlier post in this thread.

Guest saleen351

Saleen, I believe I covered your opinion in an earlier post in this thread.

and i believe you are still wrong....

:tongue:

Nick - There's an old saying that goes something like this...

Shut the fuck up you Jersey Guido. You don't know shit and have never even come close to understanding what makes a club successful. You know nothing about NEW YORK and even less about MIAMI.

Now, I'm not sure if that applies to you but.......

dade, what you dont realize is saleen is something of an idiot savant (like rainman) when it comes to clubbing. Sure he cant do shit right in life, but he secretly know all the answers. More so than the people who have proven they know their shit in the real world.

Kenny or LP should get a clue and have their limo take them over to his shit hole appartment and wisk away "the man with all the answers" from his dead end job.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by shroomy

dade, what you dont realize is saleen is something of an idiot savant (like rainman) when it comes to clubbing. Sure he cant do shit right in life, but he secretly know all the answers. More so than the people who have proven they know their shit in the real world.

Kenny or LP should get a clue and have their limo take them over to his shit hole appartment and wisk away "the man with all the answers" from his dead end job.

whats funny about yours and dades post, is i never said anything bad about crobar etc. I said it got "mixed" reviews. Crobar is on the bubble when it comes to what market they are going after. And to say a person can't comment on a club because they never owned one or they lack the credentials is really dumb.

whats funny about yours and dades post, is i never said anything bad about crobar etc. I said it got "mixed" reviews. Crobar is on the bubble when it comes to what market they are going after. And to say a person can't comment on a club because they never owned one or they lack the credentials is really dumb.

If u were talking about strip clubs we would follow your advice. :D

Originally posted by pod

Good points, all of them.

A friend of mine and I had a discussion about some of those points last night.

The music snobs won't come out and say it, but they get so pissed off any time one of "their DJs" plays a nice, large venue...their DJ is no longer "underground" or they have sold out...they think that the only good music happens in a black room somewhere with a shitbox Bose sound system and a couple of ADJ par cans for lighting. Not to say good music doesn't happen there, but at the same time, nice venues can have good music too!

I like a good DJ, my friends like good DJs, but I do go to nights where it's just a resident, or maybe a mediocre guest, since I will have a good time. Example, tonight I'm gonna hit up Nerve, even though it's just Tracy Young, Matt Martinez, and Jon...some of my friends will be there, the music will be decent, and I'll have a good time, and then later over to crobar to say hi to Edgar and co.

Overall though, VIP elitism and music snobbery, which is a form of elitism on it's own, are dragging the scene down to a level where alls that will be left is little venues that have to dig between the cushions just to pay for a local DJ...in other words, we'll have Philippio's ideal type of scene!

:clap2: Outstanding!

Unfortunately some folks still don’t get it .. How :(

I've had some very enlightening discussions lately :)

But seriously, to reiterate a certain point...musical elitism is going to be the ultimate undoing of the entire scene...

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a DJ I follwed/supported from his or her days on the decks at Jazid/Blue/name your small venue, make it to the big time, and woo the crowds at Space, Nocturnal, or any of the crobars...

Saleen was right though, he didn't necessarily say "bad", he said mixed...which means good and bad...I haven't taken the time out to read any real reviews...I'm sure those will come tonight, but I'm sure the place went off well, but with maybe a few minor issues, as is normal on any night...

crobar NYC might just be the jolt American nightlife needs right now...face it, it's in a slump around here kids, every day, there's labels folding, DJs giving it up, clubs being raided or closing, pretty soon we'll be a 2 AM closing time town of hole in the wall bars with DJs getting $50 bucks a night, Phillipio with a big grin on his face, and the clubbing populace bored out of their minds.

Not just crobar NYC either...I see locally Nocturnal definitely putting the world on it's ear, Spirit and Avalon in New York making waves, and a general reinvention of the scene in 2004.

And to say a person can't comment on a club because they never owned one or they lack the credentials is really dumb.

nick, you may very well be the dumbest person alive.

do you think we were just responding to just this post?

when you always say things like "they should have done this, or were idiots for doing that... or dont know what they were doing ..." thats not a comment, thats an insult to the person who made that decision.

BTW your parents should have used birth control .. but dont take that personally, thats just a generall comment on parenthood.

Dade, this is NYC not little ole south beach.. No one gives a fuck about an opening private party. The venue gets good reviews, but when push comes to shove, jp and jr own that city....

2 of those clubs will have to go belly up...

youre way off there dude

Great post...

The truth is that most of the people who are offering their opinions on the new Crobar in NY and the scene in general have never been in the business and are biased by their personal tastes. The truth is that Crobar is doing the right thing. It is far more important for their success to have a crowd that loves the venue and the party that they throw than it is for them to have the "big DJ" scene.

The clubs that are dependant soley on the Big DJs have the problem of drastically reduced revenue when they have only their residents instead of the big name. Also, there are so many different genres these days and the Big DJ will only appeal to a certain percentage of those looking for a DJ oriented event. Crobar's business is based on the party. When they do bring in the Big DJ it enhances their numbers. But, if they don't have the Big name, they still do great business.

Let's remember who we're dealing with. These guys are pros. Trust them.

Ive said it all along. you should promote and build your own brnad name. not the name of the dj- brand recognition wins, not a singlular personality-most people in the club biz. dont have a clue- a few do however

The only reason why nitelife quality in Miami went down was because Crobar re-directed their efforts towards their NYC new venue. Spice it up with the slow economy and have a bite.

Finally Crobar NYC opened. In true Crobar fashion. You will see the revamp of the location in Miami this season. And with their own afterhours they will rule once again.

No one can come close to their production, marketing and PR. No one.

Been waiting for this for way too long. :D

Originally posted by pod

I've had some very enlightening discussions lately :)

But seriously, to reiterate a certain point...musical elitism is going to be the ultimate undoing of the entire scene...

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a DJ I follwed/supported from his or her days on the decks at Jazid/Blue/name your small venue, make it to the big time, and woo the crowds at Space, Nocturnal, or any of the crobars...

Saleen was right though, he didn't necessarily say "bad", he said mixed...which means good and bad...I haven't taken the time out to read any real reviews...I'm sure those will come tonight, but I'm sure the place went off well, but with maybe a few minor issues, as is normal on any night...

crobar NYC might just be the jolt American nightlife needs right now...face it, it's in a slump around here kids, every day, there's labels folding, DJs giving it up, clubs being raided or closing, pretty soon we'll be a 2 AM closing time town of hole in the wall bars with DJs getting $50 bucks a night, Phillipio with a big grin on his face, and the clubbing populace bored out of their minds.

Not just crobar NYC either...I see locally Nocturnal definitely putting the world on it's ear, Spirit and Avalon in New York making waves, and a general reinvention of the scene in 2004.

Pod what's up man, how you been.

I started going to Tunnel in 98' on Friday's for Eddie Baez. The place would have a line down the block, and 5000 inside in 10 rooms, all of which (besides the main floor) put up local DJ's and not headliners, and it was the best party I have ever been to till this day. Maybe some people knew who was spinning, I would say that the large majority did not. Does it matter?

Well that party was fueled by RAMPANT drug use and that's what made it so crazy. I don't know about anyone else, but I have calmed down a lot and now I expect the DJ to make me shake me ass when I go out w/o needing any help.

Saleen is very right about NYC though, it is a market of club loyalty and local residents that play every week for 9hrs and the club and crowd take on a character of the music they play in many ways.

I hope that this next wave of clubbing that Pod predicts does come, but I don't know. The economy in NYC is not like it was in the 90's and the club-kid crowd have signed off and gotten married. If the scene is to survive or flourish, and then really be a scene again(!) then it is going to need a new legion of youth and I don't think that the DJ/clubbing culture is as mystifying as it was for our initiations!

But we can always hope.

If anyone is in NYC on NYE, I am having a party at my crib and then on to Arc for Sander, which is going to be an amazing night. PM me if interested...

Tony, gonna be in NYC bro?

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by bassboy

I started going to Tunnel in 98' on Friday's for Eddie Baez. The place would have a line down the block, and 5000 inside in 10 rooms, all of which (besides the main floor) put up local DJ's and not headliners, and it was the best party I have ever been to till this day. Maybe some people knew who was spinning, I would say that the large majority did not. Does it matter?

Well that party was fueled by RAMPANT drug use and that's what made it so crazy. I don't know about anyone else, but I have calmed down a lot and now I expect the DJ to make me shake me ass when I go out w/o needing any help.

Saleen is very right about NYC though, it is a market of club loyalty and local residents that play every week for 9hrs and the club and crowd take on a character of the music they play in many ways.

I hope that this next wave of clubbing that Pod predicts does come, but I don't know. The economy in NYC is not like it was in the 90's and the club-kid crowd have signed off and gotten married. If the scene is to survive or flourish, and then really be a scene again(!) then it is going to need a new legion of youth and I don't think that the DJ/clubbing culture is as mystifying as it was for our initiations!

But we can always hope.

If anyone is in NYC on NYE, I am having a party at my crib and then on to Arc for Sander, which is going to be an amazing night. PM me if interested...

:clap:

Originally posted by marcodavalos

Well, I wouldn't say no one...downtown is going to be very interesting in 2004. Established club vs new club with experienced staff and owners vs new club with experienced staff and owners.

It's going to be a money battle. To make money you have to spend money...

Let's look at the contenders:

Space (LP and co..): Over two decades of experience in this specific market, established downtown nightlife scene, people go to Space, they don't go downtown. Have money and spend it.

crobar (ken, cal, etc...): Over ten years of experience, half of it running 2 venues in two different cities, defined Beach nightlife for the last few years. Have money and spend it.

Nocturnal (dade, etc...): Over ten years of experience, knows the market hardcore. Backers could buy up half of the Third World if they felt like it, but that would be a losing investment, huh?

It's about evenly matched, factoring in everything. Will it get vicious? Maybe. Will it be interesting? Hell yeah, I'm gonna watch this one and write my first screenplay based on the outcome. I think DeNiro will make a good Dade. Am I gonna call it right now? Nope, two of the venues aren't even open yet...and one doesn't even have an opening date.

Originally posted by bassboy

But we can always hope.

:aright:

Originally posted by marcodavalos

The only reason why nitelife quality in Miami went down was because Crobar re-directed their efforts towards their NYC new venue. Spice it up with the slow economy and have a bite.

Finally Crobar NYC opened. In true Crobar fashion. You will see the revamp of the location in Miami this season. And with their own afterhours they will rule once again.

First of all, Crobar NYC has been in the works for almost three years and has been under construction for almost two.

So what you're saying is that Crobar decided to do a club in NYC and Miami nightlife went to shit? I don't know what you mean by "Spice and Bite" but Crobar Miami has been doing just fine in spite of their attention to NY and Chicago. Kenny and Cal are quality operators. Whatever changes were made at Crobar over the last year or so were not because they were distracted by the NY project. They planned it out a long time ago and it seems to be working.

They have a formula that works and they stick to it. I really would not expect major changes at Crobar. If it aint broke...don't fix it.

JP and JR aren't the only djs in town. in fact, crobar will do just fine without them. victor calderone starts his residency there and they're planning to bring a wide variety of diverse music and themes. its exactly the sort of concept that nyc needs at the moment.

btw, the club looks incredible as did the sound system. however, it still doesn't top fabric's sound system, which IMO, is the one of the top sound systems out there.