Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Question to those living in South Beach

americanflyer

So I'm moving into my new apartment in South Beach (Mirador, 1000 West Ave) on Monday and wanted to know how easy it is to live in South Beach without a car? Right now I'm paying about $950 a month to have my car (that includes car payment, insurance, parking garage (which I have yet to find...any recommendations?), and $75 for gas). If I got rid of my car I could use that money for taxi/bus rides and probably have a good bit left over. On the same transportation budget I could spend $30 a day for taxi rides! So anyway, what should I do? Is it feasible to go without a car in South Beach? BTW, I telecommute so I dont really need a car to get to work and my roommate has a car that I could use from time to time. Well, let me know what you guys think.

adios

Jeremiah

Well I live right down the block from you. I also telecommute. Mostly I walk, take taxis, and get rides with friends when I go clubbing. When I have to visit clients and such, I usually just rent a car. The bottom line is I save a hell of lot $$$ in car payments, Insurance, etc. ;)

Hey bro,

Here's the deal. If you don't venture too far out of Miami Beach, you can deal without a car. Thing is, you will. South Florida is not a concentrated urban environment like NYC or Chicago. You will find you need to drive down here to do the things you need and want to do.

That being said, a monthly commuter pass on the Miami-Dade bus/rail system is $60 ($1.25 per ride). I started checking out the bus system during the Baylink (proposed streetcar) fight in SoBe. Surprisingly, they are on time and frequent. In SoBe.

Transfers are free on the monthlies, $.25 on a per ride basis. There is a free metromover loop train in downtown Miami (good if you work or live there). then there is also a local rail on the Miami side which is also part of the Dade County system, but it doesn't go everywhere (basically stops halfway down Dade county, and it's one line).

Don't know about cabs. Rarely take them as they usually stink of B-O.

Hope that helps.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by fliptoniaaa

it kinda depends on what u will be doing when ur down here...like ur job, and how far it is from u!!!!!!!!!!!

i will warn u public transortation down heres blows a big hairy sack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the beach itself is easy to get around in!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, the transportation on the east side of miami is pretty damn good. Its whenever you want to go WEST that it blows, but how often would that be? Most people that live on the beach that I know dont have cars. The parking is HORRENDOUS and people destroy your car. When I lived there, I would leave my car parked for sometimes 2 weeks at a time, never once moving it and my car related expenses were close to $1100 a month. What a waste of money. WHenever I went to space, I would take the bus then the metro rail just so I didn't have to park my car over there. (It was convertible.)

It sounds to me like you dont really need a car on a day to day basis. The mirador is close to everything and you will end up just walking everywhere. Just get the metro pass, its only $60 a month, and you can take the bus, metro rail unlimited times. ON the metro rail you can go to Sunset Place, even as far as the Dadeland Mall. You really can't beat that.

If I lived on the beach again, and my family didn't live in BFE up here, thats what I would do. Well, i'd get a bike too though....

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by americanflyer

parking garage (which I have yet to find...any recommendations?),

Good luck on that one. Unless you park at the Mirador, there's like a 2 year waiting list for a monthly pass at any of the parking garages.

A 1 year residents parking permit is about $100 depending on what zone you are in, and they only give you 30 days to get one from the date of your lease. YOu have to go in person, with your license, registration and lease. You can also get a visitors permit which is $10 for 6 months, and DON'T lose it, it can't be replaced till it expires. I suggest you do that quick, its a HOT commodity. Be careful who you lend it to, and make sure you get it back.

The meter maids there are extremely efficient (to put it nicely) and those $18 parking tix add up quickly and they WILL tow your car.

Welcome to south beach. ;)

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Good luck on that one. Unless you park at the Mirador, there's like a 2 year waiting list for a monthly pass at any of the parking garages.

No!!!! I thought that as well. That's what they tell us, but then I got a call about six weeks later about spots opening up. Now they never leave me alone. They call me every month asking me if I want a spot. It's $63 a month, and you can only park at the lot you've been designated.

Originally posted by macboy

No!!!! I thought that as well. That's what they tell us, but then I got a call about six weeks later about spots opening up. Now they never leave me alone. They call me every month asking me if I want a spot. It's $63 a month, and you can only park at the lot you've been designated.

You are right. That is what I used to pay when at Mirador, and got the parking space pretty fast. Isn't there a new private parking lot a block south?, across from South Gate Towers?

Btw .. I spend $63 a year in gas for my scooter. :eek:

Thanks everyone for all the info. I'm thinking that I'll at least keep my car for the first month or two while I get situated and go from there. It would save me a lot of money to just get rid of the thing and maybe purchase a scooter. One more thing. I know it's probably not easy but you can find some parking on the street where you can leave your car overnight or even for a few days yea? I guess thats what I will have to do for a while at least. Oh well, later then