Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar Last Night

So I decided to check it out for the first time. Is CROBAR a Gay club?

I am not a gay basher or have a problem with a Club that has a lot of Gays. However there were about 75% men last night and they were mostly Gay. I guess because they are in Chelsea that's what they are going after. That is probally a smart move.

I wont be going back. The place is big but I think to big. It will be hard to keep this place busy. Last night was an example this place was in no way full or even 3/4 full. I was there with my girlfriend and she made the comment that South Beach Threw up on this place. She is correct. Good luck but this is no place for New Yorker's that just want to party.

For the Management you should know that the door thing was very rude and $40 bucks each to get in. By the time My girl and I got in checked our coats and had 1 drink I had already forked over $120 plus tips. This won't last long

Sorry just some feedback.

Well not sure what club you went to last night but Crobar was well crowded when I got there at 2am.

The lines were very small but when we got inside there were lots of people in the club

Yes the crowd was on the gay side but the party was promoted that way wasn't it?

Queer Eye guys plus Boy George DJing kinda set the tone although I though Boy George SUCKED BIG TIME.

The VIP room was jumping and that was the room to be in.

Before I went to Crobar I was at Marquee,and Bungalow which were both really empty.

last Saturday night I stopped by Spirit and counted less than 50 people in the place most of who were dressed in Santa outfits.

umm yeah . . . last nite was the queer eye snowball . . . hosted by the queer eye for a straight guy fab 5 . . . lol . . . i would expect from that there would be a predominantly gay crowd.

~ and

'By the time My girl and I got in checked our coats and had 1 drink I had already forked over $120 plus tips.'

woooooow. thats a bit excessive. lol

We got there at 1:30 and there was no wait. There were like 6 guys in front of us. They were let right in and then we got to the front and we were let right in however the person at the door didnt even acknowledge us. Almost as if we were out of place. I felt weird about that but once I got in i UNDERSTOOD all guys MOSTLY GAY.

this is why people do drugs,, who;s going to pay 40 to get in 7$$ a beer it take me at least 6 beers to get buzzed so thats 87 and im only buzzed , and if i had a date ummm 80 just walking in the door.....fuck no wonder people use drugs...:eek: i just hope they wake up over there,,,its a hot looking place...

Originally posted by brandie

umm yeah . . . last nite was the queer eye snowball . . . hosted by the queer eye for a straight guy fab 5 . . . lol . . . i would expect from that there would be a predominantly gay crowd.

~ and

'By the time My girl and I got in checked our coats and had 1 drink I had already forked over $120 plus tips.'

woooooow. thats a bit excessive. lol

Me and my girl payed $25 each to get in, $6 for 2 coats and then $20 for 2 drinks. Thats $76.

Where do you get $120 from???

Originally posted by hookahmana

Me and my girl payed $25 each to get in, $6 for 2 coats and then $20 for 2 drinks. Thats $76.

Where do you get $120 from???

i am quoting the original post:

"For the Management you should know that the door thing was very rude and $40 bucks each to get in. By the time My girl and I got in checked our coats and had 1 drink I had already forked over $120 plus tips. This won't last long"

i have been fortunate enough to not have all those extra expenses @ crobar, so i was just a little amazed that it could be so much . . . maybe the original post is an embellishment . . . thats what im trying to say.

Oh yeah, on the topic, those prices seem a little above average when compared to other venues in NYC. Although I still can't understand where the $120 went, I'm sure it wasn't too far off. 2 $11 cocktails, $80 at the door, $6 at coat check will probably do it.

But regarding the predominantly gay party, I think Crobar made a serious mistake. From all indications, it appears as though Saturday nights would be the predominantly gay crowd. Then they end up throwing a gay theme party on a Friday night. What's a straight guy supposed to think now? It makes everyone think this place is targeting the gay population in NYC.

Hey, it's no big deal. More power to them, but I doubt a single place can have TWO successful gay parties a week and remain in business. Especially since they'll be chasing all the straight guys/girls away....for good.

Originally posted by djinnom

Especially since they'll be chasing all the straight guys/girls away....for good.

that still isn't their aim . . . they have a lot of parties booked on friday nites there, not ones that necessarily target a gay crowd . . . last week was a fashion magazine . . . not all are for the general public anyway, thats why there was a cocktail party and guestlists last friday that everyone had drama with.

i have absolutely no problem going to a gay party . . . and i know plenty of men and women who are exactly the same. nightlife isn't all about going out to pick up all the time . . . enjoy the music, enjoy the scene, enjoy the people you're out with. i certainly doubt crobar's intent is to keep straight people from going there, that's completely ridiculous. as a matter of fact, if that were their intention, they'd be like junior's new party @ sf where girls are having a more difficult time getting through the door . . . which i'm sure will eventually calm down a little . . .

now a little more rant/defense of crobar & the gay population:

who is anyone to judge people based on their sexual orientation?

and

some of the best parties in nitelife's history ~ before my time ;) ~ were gay, or had gay promoters etc . . . everyone knows that gay men are the best to be out partying with . . . who gives a shit lol . . .

and

if this were a school or office something else and everyone was bitching about the homosexual population, they'd be getting sued lol ;)

just enjoy it . . . crobar's aim towards a fashionable, trendy crowd with a tougher door policy does not make it a gay club . . . sure that may draw more of that population than a party thats guido filled with the guys looking to take home chicks, but i think it's nice to see somewhere that the way you dress matters etc, and isn't a small venue like rehab or pangaea with no cabaret and may require bottle service to get past the door.

i'm still giving crobar a thumbs up :)

Not sure which night this thread is referring to, but I went last night (saturday) and I had a good time. Definitely a lot of gay guys, but the guy-girl ratio was decent. DJ....eh. The place was way too bright though. The space is cool though, the staff seemed friendly too. I'll go back when they get a DJ I like in there.