Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Men feeling inadequate????

Destiny

I wanted to buy my friend a christmas gift that I know he'd definitely like. However, he's very picky so I had to tell him what I was going to get him. The gift isn't even a lot of money!

He calls me today and tells me that he's going to be furious if I get it for him because hes going to feel inadequate bc he can't afford something expensive to get me. I told him its not a big deal, that I'll appreciate anything that he gets me but he doesnt want to hear it. Most of my friends seem to agree that he's acting wrongly.

someone give me some advice here:mad:

This topic can be stretched to include the tough situation when a man wants to date a woman at his job that has a higher position than he. This happened to me lately. I talk to a couple of girls at my job who are attorney's, and think about asking them out, but i'll admit im a little intimidated...

I think your friend has no reason to feel inadequate about that though. It's christmas, and you should be able to get someone whatever you want.

It's a time of giving and shouldn't be measured in the price something costs ;)

I dont know if it's really a male/female issue.... as much as a freind thing.... Its kind of like when you get a xmass card from someone and you didn't send them one...it makes you feel like you're not as good a freind as they are to you....I've had the same happen with female freinds...

Originally posted by gmccookny

This topic can be stretched to include the tough situation when a man wants to date a woman at his job that has a higher position than he. This happened to me lately. I talk to a couple of girls at my job who are attorney's, and think about asking them out, but i'll admit im a little intimidated...

I think your friend has no reason to feel inadequate about that though. It's christmas, and you should be able to get someone whatever you want.

It's a time of giving and shouldn't be measrued in the price something costs ;)

ugh a sensible voice finally

he said if i get him what i want to, he wont be able to accept it, saying that he'll feel very uncomfortable.

I told him it also has to do with income, I happen to make more then he does. I said that its the thought that counts and he said he understands, however, he'll still feel inadequate :banghead:

But yet, 95% of the time, he pays when we go out.

btw, maybe i should add in the fact that he's my ex:blank:

Originally posted by nybeauty

very well said :aright:

i agree he shouldn't have to make this such a big deal, tell him that if he doesn't accept it that u will beat him up like u did on thurs night, lol

LMAO that was too funny and poor you had to listen to all of it

He def kicked my ass though lol

:laugh:

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

on the other side of the argument... what kind of freind are you if you insist on doing something that he already told you would upset him.... I hate to use the cliche' but "it's the thaught that counts"

yes it is the thought that counts

however, he's NOT THINKING that this would make me happy to do this for him

BAH!

so you're doing this for yourself?:confused:

No I want to do this because I know that this would make him happy, and it makes me happy to do it for him.

It's the principle, if he didnt have such a stupid reason, then I wouldnt have a problem with this.

on the other side of the argument... what kind of freind are you if you insist on doing something that he already told you would upset him.... I hate to use the cliche' but "it's the thaught that counts"

that is exactly how i feel about it. if he expressed that he doesnt want you to get him a gift & he doesnt have the money to reciprocate, you guys should just not exchange gifts. i really didnt want to exchange with anyone & today my friend called and told me she is coming by with my gift toorrow so now i had to go out and blow a bunch of money. for all i know she got me socks & i dont really care but it is kind of frustrating. i would prefer to have spent the money i spent on myself and for her to spend the money she spent on me on herself, this way we both get stuff we want... i know it shouldnt matter but it does suck when you go out and spend like 70 dollars on a gift & you get a 20 dollar one in return. i cant give a cheap gift, that is just not me. i dont want to buy someone a bunch of chach-qees (LOL how do u spell it) so i can say i got them something. i do not have money to spend on crap that people dont really want & i dont want other people to go into debt over buying me some junk i dont need. :tongue:

bah humbug.

Originally posted by mizlissa

lol

reading this makes me feel so warm and fuzzy.

i think i'll go caroling now.

:laugh: i am sorry if i am bitter on holidays. i just think it is rediculous for people to get all worked up over gift exchange shit. if you feel like getting someone a gift, get one & dont expect anything in return but if someone says they dont want to exchage, respect that too.

;)

I actually didn't even WANT to do the whole presents thing this year. I'd be happy just to spend time with my family, this is my first Christmas home in 3 years do to crappy work schedules, I forgot what it was like to just be able to be here.

Plus I guess I've finally grown up enough so that I don't feel the IWANTIWANTIWANTNOWNOWNOW virus this holiday season.

The shopping and malls and newspaper ads, bleah, I wish the world would just freeze and give it up this year, lol.

I don't really feel it in a Grinch kind of way. Just a be happy with what you have kind of way.

lol, did i just say that.

Originally posted by Reeni

destiny just give me the money you were going to spend on the gift

that solves everything:D

:laugh: sure

I'll let you know what happens

I tried to tell him that I didnt want anything, that I would just like to spend time with him, but he said too bad you're getting a present.

So he set the limit at $50...perfect...however I never agreed to it.

So I'm ready to buy the gift...and he flips.

It doesnt bother me whether or not I get a gift, how much they spend or whatever. I'll spend $80 even if they spend $20 on mine...if i see something i'll know they'll like i'll get it, i hate being restricted to a price range. I get them a gift to be nice, even during the year for no reason. He sees it as if I get him a more expensive gift, then its wrong...its not even that much more then he intended to spend on mine... he's making much more of a big deal about this then it was intended to be.